Oops! Biden's turn in the Classified Documents barrel.

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
But the argument that the corvette is so unsecured. Like if anyone knew the classified documents were there, wouldn’t they just have taken it instead of just leaving it there? Well I guess the same for Mar A Lago. Baron could have taken all 15 boxes 🤣

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Trump as got to be furious that Pence has classified material that belong to him and ONLY him. Pence needs to return them to Mar A Lago where they rightfully belong!. "Christian Mike kissing my ass for 4 years and he dares take classified documents that belong in MY collection...SAD! and a disgrace!"

I can hear Fox news Nutters now - “Do we know if Pence had legal immigrants working on his property? Could a housekeeper or landscaper have planted these boxes? The crooked FBI, deep state?? Where are the visitor logs!? We are just asking.”

I think one thing is clear, the USA has a serious problem with how politicians handle classified documents. I’m not even talking about contents, just safeguards. Suppose a politician is handed a secret document, folds it up and puts it in a pocket and walks out of the room with it. What now? Who stops them? Who dares to try? It’s a system that runs on courtesy and deliberate ignorance.

It reminds me of a self-checkout at a grocery store. It only works because most people follow the rules most of the time. Some people legitimately think they have scanned an item but missed. Some people take a thing or two because they think the store owes them something. And some, like Trump, load a grocery cart to overflowing and go crashing out the fire exit, threatening to sue the security guards that are chasing him. I guess we should thank him for being so obnoxious, running is mouth about the FBI planted them. He declassified them by thinking about them. He didn’t have them in the first place. And now they are empty folders. And he wants the files back. That the FBI planted. That were never there. He blew open just how fragile of a system it really is.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Question is will the House turn this into a legitimate oversight investigation to fix this problem, or just run a circus sideshow as usual?

Reactions: pcgeek11

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
If that is fully factual, then how has it been reported that they found such documents in Biden's home form when he was Senator?

My guess is that he handled those documents before they were classified. The classified/not-classified status of information is not some static thing that is known from the beginning. Also worth noting that most likely these are not some official form or letter that has 'TOP SECRET' stamped on the letterhead. While that certainly happens, and it seems that at least Trump had a stash of those documents, quite a bit of 'classified documents' are otherwise non-classified stuff with a line or two of information that is classified, and until someone sees that line of text that mentions something classified no one really knows that it should be a classified document. This is way more common then people seem to think.

Reactions: Pens1566

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
I think one thing is clear, the USA has a serious problem with how politicians handle classified documents. I’m not even talking about contents, just safeguards. Suppose a politician is handed a secret document, folds it up and puts it in a pocket and walks out of the room with it. What now? Who stops them? Who dares to try? It’s a system that runs on courtesy and deliberate ignorance.
Is it right, but there is a tiered system when it comes to classified intelligence. The layperson and even congress must follow rules. But POTUS and his immediate circle need access wherever they are. Was Bush supposed to be brought back to Washington to get informed about 9/11? While it was questionable to discuss it on the dining area, again didn’t make sense to whisk away the orange monkey and Abe for the North Korea missile launch. But extreme classified intelligence obviously only get discussed in the situation room.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
My guess is that he handled those documents before they were classified. The classified/not-classified status of information is not some static thing that is known from the beginning. Also worth noting that most likely these are not some official form or letter that has 'TOP SECRET' stamped on the letterhead. While that certainly happens, and it seems that at least Trump had a stash of those documents, quite a bit of 'classified documents' are otherwise non-classified stuff with a line or two of information that is classified, and until someone sees that line of text that mentions something classified no one really knows that it should be a classified document. This is way more common then people seem to think.

Yep. Just like one of the emails for Hillary that was a NYT article. Got marked after the fact. Can't make this shit up.

Reactions: Meghan54 and Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Great idea from an authoritarian leftwing fascist. Shut those damn conservatives up! What the fuck do they think they have here, freedom of speech ! The best part is you don't even comprehend your fascism.
The irony and projection is so strong in this sentence...can't....even.... /dies
Question is will the House turn this into a legitimate oversight investigation to fix this problem, or just run a circus sideshow as usual?
Oh, the clownshow is in full effect now. Hope you brought peanuts.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How about a game show? Get one conservative, one independent and one Democrat and quiz on civics, American history and current events. Could be a hoot.
Q1: Jan 6 was a(n)

A. Insurrection
B. normal tourist event

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I don’t quite think that’s how you read that CNN poll.
Statistics can say anything you want them too, you just have to present them in the right way!
I understand how the poll was (probably) done, but without the proper context it is impossible to know what the poll is really measuring.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Is it right, but there is a tiered system when it comes to classified intelligence. The layperson and even congress must follow rules. But POTUS and his immediate circle need access wherever they are. Was Bush supposed to be brought back to Washington to get informed about 9/11? While it was questionable to discuss it on the dining area, again didn’t make sense to whisk away the orange monkey and Abe for the North Korea missile launch. But extreme classified intelligence obviously only get discussed in the situation room.

Well, obviously that "tiered system" isn't working or I don't understand it correctly. It is more that there is no system of control. Some politician in a SCIF gets handed a piece of paper, folds it up and puts it in a coat pocket and leaves with it. Who stops them and frisks them? And would they consent to this? I seem to recall a fuss being made by specific Congresspersons having to go through metal detectors at the Capitol. I suspect there are numerous politicians from any and all sides of the ideological spectrum who absolutely would not consent to a pat-down anytime they are around papers that have classified data on them.

I would imagine there are a few people out there who are checking their homes, cars and garages shoveling documents into their fireplaces right now rather than facing accountability. Is this a good thing? Or would it be better to know who has access to things they shouldn’t have any more? Because as it stands, we know that papers will follow people home no matter what and a certain dipshit with malign intentions can load up fifteen - twenty banker boxes of CD and refuse to give them back.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Taj has crossed the line into outright denial of ALL reality. He can't even resist denying what he said in previous sentences or posts. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Leeea

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
e!"

I can hear Fox news Nutters now - “Do we know if Pence had legal immigrants working on his property? Could a housekeeper or landscaper have planted these boxes? The crooked FBI, deep state?? Where are the visitor logs!? We are just asking.”

What I'm hearing from the wingnuts is that Pence was given the documents by the derp state and went public to provide cover for Joe Biden's document issues.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi