Oooo...Johnny 5-style robot shipping in October

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I thought the recently announced iRobot ConnectR "virtual visiting" robot was a pretty neat concept, although at $500 plus a possible monthly fee the neat concept turned into an expensive, hardly-useful toy. I was poking around at some other digitalLife event offerings and came across the Spykee robot, which I discovered is available for pre-order for under $300 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikko-Am...&qid=1189631830&sr=8-1

According to the feature set, it can:

-Climb stairs
-Recharge itself automatically
-Act as a motion sensor and email you pictures (and sound an alarm!)
-Control over Wi-fi
-Stream MP3s from your computer using onboard loudspeakers
-Work with both PCs and Macs
-Act as a Skype VOIP phone

Johnny 5, you're back! :D

Mar 10, 2005
girls in a locker room would freak the hell out if this thing came rolling by. that's why i give out teddy bears with cameras in them.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler
girls in a locker room would freak the hell out if this thing came rolling by. that's why i give out teddy bears with cameras in them.

So... you cover the robot WITH a army theme teddy bear outer shell. There wouldn't even be debate as to why "Patton" has tracks. Brilliant!

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: mwmorph

So... you cover the robot WITH a army theme teddy bear outer shell. There wouldn't even be debate as to why "Patton" has tracks. Brilliant!

For some reason I keep picturing The Boston Dangler with this :laugh:

Mar 10, 2005

good thinking, morph. since pervbot can play music, how about subliminal you're getting very aroused. the girl next to you likes you. isn't she pretty? messages?

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004

good thinking, morph. since pervbot can play music, how about subliminal you're getting very aroused. the girl next to you likes you. isn't she pretty? messages?

I'm thinking more of a R. Lee Ermey voice screaming "Strip down and kiss your neighbor". Not sure how well it would work though. Everyone says women like assertive guys, but when you burn your initials in her lawn, break into her house and wait naked on the bed for when she gets home, you've suddenly gone TOO far....

Women, 6 restraining orders and a trip to FPMITAP where I met "Daddy Bubba" later and I still don't understand them...

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
lol i have the r. lee ermey motivational figure (not doll, motivational figure) and he stresses out girls.

Are you sure its the doll err... motivational figure?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I wish another company offered a higher end robot with smiliar features fully assembled for $500-ish. If it worked as advertised I'd be the first to buy.

I'd like to see a review or two but if it's promising I'll probably buy this.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/...ctor-spykee-kit-s.html

Erector's new "Spykee" is a remote-controlled robot kit with built-in Wi-Fi, camera and microphone, which pairs with a set of included software to allow it to be controlled from anywhere on the net. (Of course, if someone where to gain unauthorized access, you'd be allowing unfettered access to a motorized spy unit that could case your house from the inside, like the evil, punk rock Johnny Five.)

While the Spykee set can be built into three different robot models and is compatible with other Erector sets, the most intriguing aspect of the $280 kit for me is the telepresence capability: Spykee serves as a fully functional webcam and VOIP speakerphone; it's even Skype compatible. I could easily see giving a friend access to a Spykee in your home via the internet, letting them wander around the house, snooping under your couch, while you sat around chatting.

Spykee isn't officially out until late October, but Amazon is already taking pre-orders.