Onvia Canceled Samsung 753DF! Update: Resolved, Thank You!

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Edit: Thanks for the help deciding on the following monitor, but Onvia just canceled the damn thing! Scroll to bottom...

Which is the best deal?

KDS 7TF $235.94 - $50.00* Coupon Code + Approx. $35.00 Shipping

Samsung 753DF $199.79 - $30.00 Rebate & Free Shipping

If cost was equal, which monitor would you rather have? This is serious, and one WILL be purchased before tomorrow!

TIA,
Ornery

*Amazon.Com
Offer: $50.00 Off (Exp. 12/31/00)
Minimum: $200.00 (Electronics Dept)

Sugadaddy

Banned
May 12, 2000
The KDS is an aperture grill, while the Samsung is a shadow mask. Both are flat and have about the same specs for max and ideal resolutions and refresh rates, but I'd trust Samsung to have better quality products than KDS. My dad just got the 753DF and it looks pretty good. So I'd go with that one. It's also cheaper, so I think it's a better value.

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
I cant beleive you just asked this! My kids MAG 15" just bit the dust and I was looking for a new monitor. I was just going to post about the Samsung 753DF. It looks really good for $169 after rebate. The rebate expires 12/31, so I need to buy it soon. I'm not a KDS fan. Does anyone own one of these or seen one?

Thanks!!!

jsbush

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2000
I've got the 750s and it's amazing. I've also got a 17" KDS and the samsung has way better image quality. Well I find anyways.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Are you smegmoids going to let Shu8 have the last word? :)

No props for the KDS? If someone offered you either one for free, which would you take?

Thanks for the replies... so far...

LXi

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
I would take the KDS for free, thats just because I like aperture grille, despite being a Samsung zealot. I'd say get whichever cheaper, I saw the 753DF at Fry's and its amazing.

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
Damn LXi, I almost had my mind set on the Samsung. Like you, I REALLY prefer AG over shadow mask. My beef with shadow masks is they always look "dull" compared to AG IMHO. This is for my kids PC and she isn't as fussy as me ;). I do prefer Samsung over KDS. Please tell us more on the 753 you saw at Frys!! Nice, sharp, good color saturation? If you say it is a good looking monitor, it a done deal. I'll order it. $169 for a flat screen is hard to beat. I'm sure it should easily beat out the (now dead) 15" Mag :)

Thanks!

Taz4158

Banned
Oct 16, 2000
Sorry but a Samsung vote here, I know the new KDS are decent but oh in the old days.......

LXi

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
When I went to see it, I wasnt expecting anything spectacular, because that is my general experience with Samsung IFTs which are based on the DynaFlat tubes. But once I saw it, I was surprised, on that entire roll of monitors, it is possibly the best looking shadow mask, better than ViewSonic, Iiyama, and all no name brands...

It surprised me on brightness, I dont know if it was the settings or whatever, but the brightness is quite comparable to an AG, at least brighter than any other shadow mask in the store. The sharpness, like I expect from Samsung, is top notch, they had some pictures and text for demostration and they were both razor sharp. And the color saturation is just excellent, the picture that was demostrated is that popular windows wallpaper with the cheetah on it, and it looks very nice, the colors are very balanced and vibrant. I would definitely get one if its cheaper than the KDS, that's, if I rate AGs and SMs equally not taking my AG preference into account.

LXi

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
0.20mm horizontal translates to about 0.23mm diagonal. Diagonal is what really counts.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
They do like to play games don't they? I've heard that you can't really compare AG to shadow mask as far as dot pitch goes. But even .23 is awesome for any monitor IMO.

LXi

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
Ornery:

You're right, you cant really compare the pich of an AG to an SM, its like comparing the sweetness of an apple to an orange, different standards, different animals, cant compare. But yes, 0.23mm is currently superior to anything else in the SM field.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Any of you Sunday morning early birds got any input on this? Please jump in, time is short!

TIA,
Ornery

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
I have the KDS 7tf. 2 of them in my office. Am not happy with them.

My problem could be that I just don't like AG.

Samsung has become a proven quality manufacturer over that last 5 years. Go with the samsung.

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
Dear Oldfart:

Thank you for your recent purchase with Onvia.com. We're glad we could be of service with your business products needs.

To track your order online, go to the My Business section of the Onvia.com home page, log in; then click on Order Tracking.

Below is a summary of your order to keep for your records:

Order Number: 1234567
Order Date : 12/31/2000 06:36:42 AM

# Item Name Available Price Discount Total Price
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Syncmaster 753DF FD 1... In Stock $199.79 N/A $199.79
Sub Total: $199.79

Shipping: $0.00
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total: $199.79

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I was about to say get the 755DF since it is only a little bit more and has better refresh rates. But then I checked and seen only the 753DF and 955DF had the $30 Samsung rebate.

I'm like LXi and have a preference for AG over shadow mask, mostly because I play games a lot, but I'm surprised that the KDS didn't recieve recommendations. So I'll give my vote for the Samsung simply because I'm satisfied with my Samsung monitor and I've read so many things saying the DF line is good.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the help deciding on the following monitor, but Onvia just canceled the damn thing! Here's a letter they just emailed:
  • This is an update regarding Onvia.com order #XXXXXX.

We have received word from our suppliers that the "Syncmaster 753DF FD
    17""/16V .20mm monitor" on your order is no longer available for
    shipment. Because the manufacturer is not able to provide us with a
    guaranteed date for the item to come back into stock, this part of your
    order has been cancelled. Please accept our sincere apologies for the
    inconvenience during this busy holiday season.

Any additional items included in this order will be processed normally.
    Only the item listed above will be cancelled.

For more information about similar products and help finding a
    replacement, please feel free to contact our dedicated Sales staff at
    SalesUSA@onvia.com or 1-800-331-2822.

Sincerely,

Onvia.com
    Customer Service
    Work. Wisely.
    800-331-2822
    http://www.onvia.com
Yeah, now what to do about the fact that the deadline has past for the $30.00 rebate? What recourse do we have? This is unbelievable! I need them to get me a monitor, that qualifies for that rebate, with an invoice dated prior to December 31st. We'll pay more for a bump up. Doable?