only using GPU... cpu, nothing

Qasar

Nov 18, 2016
i have 3 comps going, i7 930/GTX 560, Phenom 2 x4 975/radeon 7970, and a i7 5930k/GTX 1060, the 930 and phenom, are both using cpu and gpu, but the 5930, is only using the GPU, how do i also get the cpu to do something ??

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Strange, the CPU is typically the only thing configured by default. Assuming you are using the advanced control panel and Windows (right click the icon in the task bar and select it if not), click Configure in the upper left, then go to Slots, then in the lower right is the Add button, where you can add the CPU. Be sure to only select 6, maybe 7 threads for the CPU, as one is going to be busy assisting the GPU.

Qasar

Nov 18, 2016
been looking at that.. in the web browser view.. i do show a cpu and gpu slot.. i have noticed on the advanced control window it has tried 27 times to get a WU... maybe there is just none available right now that the client deems my cpu is worthy of folding ??

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
That's possible and common. Folding@home (to my understanding) has batches of work units prepared in advance, and each batch is designed for a certain number of threads. Obviously they are going to try to have as many tasks as possible for single core, dual core, and quad core machines, up to 8 threads, as the i7 uses HT and is so prevalent amongst their users.

I have found that requesting tasks for odd # of threads (3, 5, 7) can sometimes cause a lack of work. So I'd advise to go to the advanced control panel/configure/slots and manually set the CPU to 4 or 6 tasks (even number), and see if that gets you tasks any quicker.

Edit: The odd/even issue is far more prevalent once you get into workstation/server hardware...I almost never received 23/25/27 thread tasks, and took a while for someone to point out the above information to me. :)

Qasar

Nov 18, 2016
changed it to 8, paused it.. then started it.. and it grabbed work :) thanks... maybe i will up it to 10......

thanks for the help :)

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
I had to move mine back to full stock speeds, PrimeGrid and some other distributed computing projects use AVX extensions, and somehow overclocking plus AVX tasks equals molten lava.

After I noticed really high temps one day (water cooled), CPUID HWMonitor told me my CPU was using 300watts. Luckily, 300watts is all my motherboard allows without moving a jumper, or I'd have had a nice little puff of smoke, I'm sure.

Qasar

Nov 18, 2016
i'm running on air :) with a little voltage increase.. 1.222 volts according to cpu z

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
I had a similar issue. Ditto the odd/even selection Tony recommended. It may just be a coincidence but I found my Intel cpus need the even selection, while my Amd cpus can handle an odd selection. May have to do with "real" cores vs hyper-threaded cores??

bds71

Nov 29, 2016
just a note: my main rig (several yrs back) was a 6/12 i7x with a gtx-690. for the longest time I had everything running (each 680 GPU was separate, and the CPU running all 12 threads). disabling the CPU - completely - actually INCREASED my ppd by several thousand (even though I was only showing hardly any CPU utilization). I also tried (as is recommended here and many threads in the past years) only allotting a portion of the cores (thereby leaving some available CPU to feed the GPU(s). I tried several different options with different core configurations (all even numbers of cores being utilized) but ultimately, I had the most output by turning the CPU off completely! weird, I know :)

Reactions: TennesseeTony

Qasar

Nov 18, 2016
just a note.. i have a comp here, running 2 gtx 560s using driver version 375.70 with no issues... guess the 373 driver wasn't the only one that doesn't disagree with F@H ...

Qasar

Nov 18, 2016
what would you say the max OC i could get out of an asus strix OC GTX 1060 would be ? right now.. i have a 2114 core and 8222 memory fan speed at 70% temps in the 55C range ...

Qasar

Nov 18, 2016
well it helps that the card seems to be the same as the 1070/1080 as far as the build and heat sink and fan that's on it.. :)

wonder how much higher i can go ......