Only need to settle on the CPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
These threads always end the same way. Someone wants to get confirmation that buying into the 3770k is the better option.

This thread is a typical example. Every reply says the 3570K. Then the OP starts to let us know that he really wants the 3770K and at the first positive reply (post 14) it's a done deal - 3770K it is.

It's always on and working. So you will get 3.9Ghz in certain circumstances.

I'll admit that was kind of funny, as was everyone with a 3570k suggesting the 3570k and everyone with a 3770k suggesting the 3770k, save for a few brave contrarians.

If the $80 difference wasn't a big deal to the OP, then he made a fine decision...unless he runs out of beer money.

;)

Last edited:

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
I'll admit that was kind of funny, as was everyone with a 3570k suggesting the 3570k and everyone with a 3770k suggesting the 3770k.

If the $80 difference wasn't a big deal to the OP, then he made a fine decision...unless he runs out of beer money.

;)
That's an interesting observation, i didn't notice that. However looking back through the posts it seems this was never a thread about buget. I mean the OP said it himself: "If you could get the 3770K, would you?"

As soon as i saw that i thought, ah he's getting the 3770K :p.

The reasoning behind each choice was interesting:

Pro 3570K: Good for the workloads the OP has mentioned
Pro 3770K: Good to have hyperthreading just in case.

Both of which are fair calls. I guess if i was going to keep this system for 4 to 5 years i would have gotten the 3770K as well. Although how much Hyoerthreading and 2MB cache are worth to the OP is another question.

It might have been a better option to get an SSD (I see a WD RE4 drive, no SSD, maybe i'm blind??) instead of CPU features which he most likely won't take advantage of on a daily basis.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Ok, i'll explain how everything gone in my head.

I already knew, from synthetic benches found here and all over the place, how both CPUs performed. Seeing that, evidently, the 3770K had the lead (again, seeing synthetic benches), if money wasn't an issue it was worth the extra bucks.

Then came the deal I found on newegg.ca where they gave you a 70CAD gift card when buying an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4. Four days later, I received my card number and had 70CAD more to throw at a new CPU.

I checked again the benches found on the interwebs and asked (like here) for real life users what they thought about both and if the extra $$$ was worth for the i7.

Then I bought the i7 3770K and i'm really sorry I did since it made you kind of feel funny in your insides. ;)

In all seriousness, I just wanted some real life users with real life experiences to give some advices and some did. I went with what I could get at the moment and the price was -70CAD to boot.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
It might have been a better option to get an SSD (I see a WD RE4 drive, no SSD, maybe i'm blind??) instead of CPU features which he most likely won't take advantage of on a daily basis.

At least Bejeweled 3 will run smooth now :p