Only in the US are people SO afraid of the human body

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
At least it's not the middle east. Over there you're executed for much less.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Why are there any social norms at all?

If the "no one is harmed" standard is the only applicable standard, then why can't people have sex or masturbate in public? Isn't people's revulsion to that nothing other than their instinctive or learned bigotry against sexual displays?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Laws are there to keep ugly fat disgusting people from showing us their warez. They need to keep their tent tshirts and pants on. No one cares if a young hottie is naked but laws need to be uniformly enforced.

Last edited:

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Allowing nudity around children is not something you can overlook with any arguement. As I parent I have the right to raise my child the way I best see fit (within reason of course) public nudity can take part of that right away from me. Who are you (random naked stranger) to decide when my child is ready to see a naked man/woman? Thats what the internet is for...

Women should keep their naked faces covered in public. Children should not be exposed to that.

Peace be upon you.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
While American laws about wearing clothing in public have no effect on me, unfortunately the effects of the religion-driven ridiculous cultural prudishness have a much longer reach. The bulk of videogames are made outside the US, and the bulk of videogame players is outside the US, and yet the whole business revolves around US morality. Movies suffer too, but at least they get made whether or not they conform to US ideas; not so with videogames.

Look at the movie Amélie, for instance...
MPAA: R for sexual content. Sweden and Denmark: suitable for ages 7 and up. Norway and Finland: suitable for ages 11 and up.
I would characterize the movie as a light-hearted comedy with no violence and mild sexual content which is never titillating.

Dude111

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2010
RearAdmiral said:
Why on earth would you want to see your average american naked? I could never leave the house.
Why would you care enough that you didnt want to??

Nothing wrong with nature my friend!