Only in the US are people SO afraid of the human body

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
I can't speak for Texashiker or others but I wear clothes for a very selfish reason: I don't care about offending other people, I just don't want to offend myself. Look at my body, yechh!
I think Texashiker should start a new thread today or tomorrow titled "I don't follow religious zealots and my clothes are coming off"

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Seriously, why is it that everything is religions fault on this forum.

Yeah! Just because a religion SAYS something and says you will GO TO HELL if you disobey, how can you blame THEM for people following it?

;)

If you don't agree with wearing clothes then I say don't.

You don't? :confused:

Just start walking around naked. Take the subway naked. Go to McDonald's sit down and have a coffee naked. Don't let some wackos tell you that going bare is wrong. I think the good folks here on andtech ought to be allowed to do what they want. Have at it boys and girls its time to fight for what you believe.

Um, you are now pulling the extreme opposite.

There are other reasons not to go naked in public. Things like HEALTH and convenience are the two big ones. I think the point is that "morality" should really not be one of them.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
blade, You should stick around a while longer. Andtech is sick and tired of having religion shoved down there throat and I think it's time for them to "stop listening to religious zealots" and start enjoying life free from the bonds of clothes and religion.

Actually, I kind of hate it when someone butchers the English language so much in their post that it makes me wince.

I am hoping that you have a reason. Like a second language or something.

There throat!

There wolf.
There castle.....

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
the very third post blames this on religion. The 5thpost agrees and then the OP also agrees. I thought it was funny that people just randomly make religion to be all the evil in the world. And trust me im wearing clothes and i plan to keep wearing clothes. I also agree that there are some very good reasons for wearing clothes. Protection of skin (from sun, heat, cold etc), and prevention of diseases are the first that come to mind. However the Op and several other people seem to think its really only due to religion and crazy people who have a belief. So im just saying "put your money where yor mouth is". If you really think this is a religious problem then my recommendation is to go buff and show the world that your smarter.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Ninja must be controlled by religion, for he is certainly not going to start walking around naked everywhere he goes.

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
Don't worry about that he's a Ninja. He can just go stealth mode. But I dont know if that falls into the religious line or not. You know? not actually letting people see you being naked?:\

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
OP, we get it, you hate America. Not sure why you really care what laws we have over here in the US, but if it makes you feel better bashing them, then so be it.

Oh, and I'm not religious and I still don't want to see nipples and genitalia in public display. It's called modesty and humility.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Religion is a factor in societies reaction to the naked human body and/or sex in general but it's not the only factor. I also think a certain amount of modesty is called for; whether due to convenience, public health or personal cleanliness issues. Although I certainly wouldn't spit on or throw rocks at an 8 year old girl because her dress wasn't long enough; that's pretty sick IMHO. If you think your religion or it's leaders give you a right to do that; you're a pretty sick fuck whose finest hour would have been an early abortion.

Speaking only for myself, I usually find clothed women at least as if not infinitely more appealing and sexy than their naked form would be, the whole "mystery of what is hidden" allure. Nudity is for privacy.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
This got me going WTF:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/18/barbara-lafleur-naked-shopping-spree_n_1528135.html

Not that she was naked, who cares...but this!:

Why are you so scared of the human body?
To much relidiocracy?

Even Wiki shows the difference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indecent_exposure#Europe

Compare that to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indecent_exposure_in_the_United_States

I find it scary...that the most natural thing for a human ...our body...is SO scary for people in the US.

And don't give me any crap about morals...we have morals in Scandinavian too (despite being majority none-religious...religion != morals!)...we just don't suffer the delussion that nudity leads to anarchy...or demoralizes the soceity.

If that was some middle age guy walking into a store full of children would you defend him the same way?

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Save your bullshit. Your whole post is a lie. I can be insulting to, but you never say anything intelligent enough to make it worthwhile even insulting you. Your posts make you look bad enough on their own.

Red rerring...but it gave me my answer...you DO know the difference.

Because some religious zealot 100 years ago said it was wrong.

I used to work with people who would tell you straight up that having a TV in your home was a sin and you were going to hell.

Scary....even just as scary as when I meet moroons in the street of Cpenhagen, trying to deal their religion too me.
Not even the Atlantic Ocean is enough to stop that push :eek:

China has harsher laws on these things than America and to be accepted as a party member you must also declare that you don't believe in a god.so they definitely qualify as an athoest country

Not, china is a communistic country, learn the difference, to quote Sam Harris:

Sam Harris makes some interesting points here in making reference to the personality cults and dogmatism that were inherent in regimes such as Hitler's, Stalin's, Mao's and Pol Pot's. He reasonably states, "Auschwitz, the gulag and the killing fields were not examples of what happens when human beings reject religious dogma; they are examples of political, racial and nationalistic dogma run amok."

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Women in Copenhagen have won the right to swim and walk around topless in public pools. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/article977650.ece

That didn't happen until 2008. Several US states have allowed women to go topless longer than that. Why are they so prudish in Copenhagen Denmark?
:D +1

This thread started out "We are SOOOO superior" and quickly deteriorated into "Well, none of the Danes I know have a problem with nudity." Hope no one was hurt by that falling bar!

I for one am perfectly supportive of the Copenhagen (and domestic) suffragettes as long as they respect my right to pitch a tent. As far as making their breasts non-sexual through repeated exposure, I can only hope they are not bright enough to soon realize what a tall hill they've decided to climb and thus, that the parading lasts as long as the perkiness.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Women in Copenhagen have won the right to swim and walk around topless in public pools. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/article977650.ece

That didn't happen until 2008. Several US states have allowed women to go topless longer than that. Why are they so prudish in Copenhagen Denmark?

You can walk topless on any beach in Denmark.
The public pools you are talking about are not included in practice that says nudity and the beach are fine and normal.

You can swim and sunbathe fullly nude...on any public beach fully legal...not the slightest chance of even a fine.

These public pools are run by the counties themselfes, so all it really require was an addendum to the order of procdue ;)

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
:D +1

This thread started out "We are SOOOO superior" and quickly deteriorated into "Well, none of the Danes I know have a problem with nudity." Hope no one was hurt by that falling bar!

I for one am perfectly supportive of the Copenhagen (and domestic) suffragettes as long as they respect my right to pitch a tent. As far as making their breasts non-sexual through repeated exposure, I can only hope they are not bright enough to soon realize what a tall hill they've decided to climb and thus, that the parading lasts as long as the perkiness.

Selling the fur before you shot the bear is not very bright ;)

Nice own goal!

Next time...wait..and save yourself the embarresement ;)

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
It like freedom of expression...you do NOT have the right to not get offended.
Don't want to look at my junk...don't look at my junk...simple.

Apparently I do have that right. If you think not then you can conduct the experiment, pick a US town or city and stride smartly down the street in all your glory. Let us know how that goes.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Only in the US...and certain Arab nations...

India is quite conservative, and it's not Islamic or Judeo Christian. Same for Korea, although christianity has caught on there.
I can think of dozens of countries with FAR more pronounced hangups with nudity and sex in general. Religious conservatives vilifying the naked human form is certainly not exclusive to the US.

Yes. America has some really stupid Puritanical history and a few popular organized religions that reinforce certain views on nudity and sex. I expect these to be especially noticeable to anyone who lives in Sweden. I've never met people so allergic to clothing! Even in the winter! :O