Only have 1 pci-e connector, video card has 2 inputs

evanesce

Apr 13, 2013
Would the card even boot up to 2d if I just used my 1 pci-e connector? I have ordered a molex to pci-e connector on ebay, but it'll be probably a week before it comes.

Any other way to get this working in the meantime? I verified my psu is more than capable of powering this video card, so it's just a matter of the correct wiring at this point. Thanks!

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
The card will not boot, period, unless you have two PCIe power connectors installed.

What card is it? And what CPU do you have? Your power supply may not support them even with the adapter.

evanesce

Apr 13, 2013
thanks for the info, i kinda knew i'd be ok regarding power output, but i was wondering moreso what would happen if i tried to run with one pci-e connector, or hotwired in my own adapter to the inside of the graphics card myself disabling the need for the second adapter until it arrived perhaps?

Edit: I obviously wouldn't want to solder the jack port of the pci-e connector on the video card, but i could solder my power leads manually to the gpu circuit board inside perhaps!

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
... I obviously wouldn't want to solder the jack port of the pci-e connector on the video card, but i could solder my power leads manually to the gpu circuit board inside perhaps!

Soldering on the video card .... you are a braver soul than I!

evanesce

Apr 13, 2013
Actually, I just took off the backplate and i'm inspecting where the pci-e goes into the circuit board. It looks like all 6 of the grounds are bound together by the same circuit trace. So All i would need to do really is jump +12v from 1 PCI-E connector to the other to make the card think it's getting both wires in?

evanesce

Apr 13, 2013
Check this out.. had this connector lying around, just jammed the prongs into the socket. no soldering required. Should get this card to boot!

6p2hea.jpg

evanesce

Apr 13, 2013
update: working good, however, the ground you need is the center pin ground. Must have something to do with the pci-e slot being detected. The left and right ground pins are connected via system board traces but the center is not on the same trace. Wires aren't warm when in full 3d graphics, so I assume this is a go?

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
update: working good, however, the ground you need is the center pin ground. Must have something to do with the pci-e slot being detected. The left and right ground pins are connected via system board traces but the center is not on the same trace. Wires aren't warm when in full 3d graphics, so I assume this is a go?

If none of the wires are warm and the sockets seem to be cool (while card is loaded) then you should be good to go until you get your adapter. Ghetto but effective!

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008