Only 31% of Americans want an EV or PHEV. What about you?

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Do you want your next vehicle to be an electric vehicle?

• Yes! EV all the way!

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • Maybe, but at least a PHEV (plug-in hybrid)

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I don't care, hybrid or whatever looks best at the time

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • You can pry internal combustion from my cold, dead hands!

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I'm not planning to get another vehicle, ever

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
Dec 10, 2005
I mean a lot of this depends on your needs. With my usage pattern I could easily live on 120V because the most I'm going to do in a day is about 40 miles round trip and I WFH so the car is nearly always in its space.
I think many people severely overestimate their needs and usage. Just look at how many people go out and buy an Ego Wagon because they might need to pick up a piece of wood some day from a hardware store.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
That L3 cost per kwh is really high. Usually I find places with lower cost of gasoline also have lower prices for electricity.
At the moment, we just don't have any competition on L3 chargers, they are all owned by one company named Francis Energy. I'm sure there as some Telsa chargers around too, so once those open up it might get better.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
They need to treat charging stations like gas stations. They should be independent of auto makers and just their own separate business. Any charging station should work for any car, by default. Being able to pay with at minimum a credit or debit card should also be mandatory. Ex: shouldn't need any form of account or anything.
Hey give credit where credit is due. Over a decade ago Tesla came onto the scene as the first successful American automobile manufacturer in over a century. Not only did they do this but they also had to build a national charging infrastructure from the ground up without any government or taxpayer assistance. It was just them on their own so they engineered what worked best for their vehicles.

I thought you were the kind of guy who appreciates an independent attitude but now you want industry standards when it comes to charging? You just want Tesla to give up on what they spent years building?

For a guy who doesn't even own an EV you and a lot of other members here got a lot to say on this subject.

Reactions: Brovane

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Hey give credit where credit is due. Over a decade ago Tesla came onto the scene as the first successful American automobile manufacturer in over a century. Not only did they do this but they also had to build a national charging infrastructure from the ground up without any government or taxpayer assistance. It was just them on their own so they engineered what worked best for their vehicles.

I thought you were the kind of guy who appreciates an independent attitude but now you want industry standards when it comes to charging? You just want Tesla to give up on what they spent years building?

For a guy who doesn't even own an EV you and a lot of other members here got a lot to say on this subject.
There should be an industry or cinsensus standard because it's an abso-fucking-lute waste to have incompatible infrastructure. Imagine if gas stations were manufacturer specific. It would be a nightmare.

That being said, all the manufacturers are striking deals with Tesla for access to their charging stations. So Tesla is reaping the rewards to an extent.

But something as big as this should, IMO, fall under rules akin to the FCC's FRAND terms for communications licensing agreements. Fair, reasonable, non-discriminatory. And it would still realize Tesla a hefty profit.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
There should be an industry or cinsensus standard because it's an abso-fucking-lute waste to have incompatible infrastructure. Imagine if gas stations were manufacturer specific. It would be a nightmare.

That being said, all the manufacturers are striking deals with Tesla for access to their charging stations. So Tesla is reaping the rewards to an extent.

But something as big as this should, IMO, fall under rules akin to the FCC's FRAND terms for communications licensing agreements. Fair, reasonable, non-discriminatory. And it would still realize Tesla a hefty profit.
You mean like the SAE J1772 port that comes standard on every EV sold in North America with the exception of Tesla and Nissan?

Last edited:

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
You mean like the SAE J1772 port that comes standard on every EV sold in North America with the exception of Tesla and Nissan?

Nissan comes with a SAE J1772 port. Every Tesla is delivered with a SAE J1772 adapter.

The Issue was that there was 3 different standards for direct DC Charging. Nissan, Tesla and everybody else.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Nissan comes with a SAE J1772 port. Every Tesla is delivered with a SAE J1772 adapter.

The Issue was that there was 3 different standards for direct DC Charging. Nissan, Tesla and everybody else.
Adaptors are fun but industry standards are even better. CHAdeMO died years ago bro get with the times. Its all about NACS now.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Concerns of performance below freezing, or even below zero.
Concerns of places to charge.

It would need to easily clear 300 miles in a day before it could be the only vehicle.
But someday it would make perfect sense to use around town.

Why that distance? The closest hospital worth a darn is 130 miles away.

Reactions: Ken g6

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Nissan is still selling Leaf's with a CHAdeMO port on them for direct DC charging. https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/electric-cars/leaf.html
The Nissan Leaf and the Mitsubishi Outlander are the odd vehicles out with CHAdeMO ports. Neither one gets much out of DC fast charging anyway - the Outlander is a PHEV and the Leaf tends to overheat its passively air-cooled battery after one fast charging session.

Everybody else is going NACS and almost everybody is making deals for Tesla Supercharger access.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Concerns of performance below freezing, or even below zero.
Concerns of places to charge.

It would need to easily clear 300 miles in a day before it could be the only vehicle.
But someday it would make perfect sense to use around town.

Why that distance? The closest hospital worth a darn is 130 miles away.
So what you're saying is that for the 1% of Americans who live 130 miles away from a hospital that an EV might not be an ideal vehicle at this time.......yeah I can agree with that.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
For those in Colorado who are considering an EV, several of the local Hyundai dealers are offering some screaming deals for 24 month leases on the Ionic 5. As low as $299 down, $299/month.

• Wow
Reactions: Zorba

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
For those in Colorado who are considering an EV, several of the local Hyundai dealers are offering some screaming deals for 24 month leases on the Ionic 5. As low as $299 down, $299/month.

LoL wish we had that kind of deal here.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
This is what happens when you half ass your first attempt at an EV. Slow charging, piss poor range, and mediocre performance lead to sluggish sales which in turn leads to some deals to be had. This is honestly not surprising considering how out spoken Toyota is against EVs.

Reactions: Ken g6 and Zorba