Only 1 PC in a 3 PC Network Can See the Other 2 (the other 2 don't see each other)

muskyx1

Apr 20, 2005
Weird problem. Just built a new 2950x rig to replace an aging 5930k system. When I try to link them up on my network to transfer files, neither one detects the other. So I add an old laptop into the mix just to make sure the network is working, both the 2950x and 5930k rigs see the laptop and the laptop sees them, but still not each other.

Got 3 PC's connected to a Hitron coda 4582 all through LAN cables. Any ideas?

PS - what's the deal with the Shield Square - Suspicious Activity Detected.?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Turn smb1 back on. MS is retarded and disabled it by default with win10 in some patch after launch, its annoying.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Yeah, I was going to say check all the protocols between the two systems and the laptop. The laptop has both installed since it can see both systems and the systems are missing something.

Also, don't use the netbios name, but the IP address.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Control Panel (change view to large icons) -> Administrative Tools -> Services
(or just hit start type in "Services" in search, and you should see it as a result)

Right Click on Function Discovery Provider Host
Click on Properties
Select drop down arrow on Startup Type
Select Automatic
Select Apply
Select Start if its not running.
Select OK

Right Click on Function Discovery Resource Publication
Click on Properties
Select Automatic
Select Apply
Select Start if its not Running
Select OK

Right Click on SSDP Discovery
Click on Properties
Select Automatic
Select Apply
Select OK

Right Click on UPnP Device Host
Click on Properties
Select Automatic
Select Apply
Select OK

Reboot Computer

I would highly advise not to go the SMB1.0 route unless u are running a synology/FreeNAS NAS.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, as I understand it, SMB 1.0 is rife with security issues. It's use on a LAN should be severely curtailed (VLAN'ed off), or eliminated.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
Yeah, as I understand it, SMB 1.0 is rife with security issues. It's use on a LAN should be severely curtailed (VLAN'ed off), or eliminated.
But if no one uses it anymore, does it really matter anymore?

Windows 98 still had security issues that were never patched, but I doubt anyone would even know how to exploit them anymore, lol.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Not really a big deal as long as your router/firewall isnt passing those ports through. Because If someone already has control of a machine behind your router/firewall you have much bigger issues than SMB 1 being used on your network.

Reactions: SamirD
Feb 25, 2011
But if no one uses it anymore, does it really matter anymore?

Windows 98 still had security issues that were never patched, but I doubt anyone would even know how to exploit them anymore, lol.

SMB1 is still very popular with malware authors. (Wannacry and similar ransomware.)

Feb 25, 2011
How exactly are they using smb1 in ways they can't use smb2/3 or some other protocol?
They're relying on the security holes in it to spread their stuff. I'm not enough of a security nerd to know why, I just know that disabling SMB1 will stop most of those from spreading. Which is mostly why Microsoft disabled it by default in Win10, and why, if you are employed by a certain company that I worked for until last month, if IT detects your computer running SMB1, you will become an "action item."

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
They're relying on the security holes in it to spread their stuff. I'm not enough of a security nerd to know why, I just know that disabling SMB1 will stop most of those from spreading. Which is mostly why Microsoft disabled it by default in Win10, and why, if you are employed by a certain company that I worked for until last month, if IT detects your computer running SMB1, you will become an "action item."
So if the malware is using smb1 to spread, it will be able to use smb2/3 in the same way. There are some inherit security issues with the smb1 protocol when trying to use it in a secure way, and that's why it's being depreciated. Kind of in the same way pptp was depreciated.

The biggest security hole in any system is the user--they can mess up more things and authenticate malware faster than any brute force attack--hence why phishing is such a successful method of attack.