OnLine gaming and falling in "love" ... Psychology please ...

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
Hello all,

I've been running a game server for a few years now...

And ... I noticed that some game genre's can lead to "what is percieved as" relationships between players.

Most noticable are the players who use the word "Love".

I think most are teenagers ...

But ,,, anyway ,,, I have some perceptions on "why they fall in love" with another player (gamer)....

I think this could be a good topic ... anyone want to relate thier "experiences" or "perceptions" ?

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Horny guy teenage likes to play games and also likes girls.

He sees girl plays game he falls in love with her. Because he likes games and girls. She likes to game as shes online playing whatever game and she is a girl.

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
thanks for that wonderfull 12,000th post Zim :p

well ,,, maybe that kid is falling in "Love" with a mom with kids ... husband .. etc ...

I find it all ... interesting to see...

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Noid
Hello all,

And ... I noticed that some game genre's can lead to "what is percieved as" relationships between players.

But ,,, anyway ,,, I have some perceptions on "why they fall in love" with another player (gamer)....

I think this could be a good topic ... anyone want to relate thier "experiences" or "perceptions" ?

Fantasy and projection... they project what qualities they want onto the other player, making him or her seem perfect. And since it is on-line, there isn't much to burst the little bubble of fantasy!

In real life, the little bubble usually gets burst right after the honeymoon. :p

Just my .02!

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
From the Captain Obvious department: Because these kids don't interact enough with each other in real life, their online interactions take on added importance.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Same reasons that when internet chatting got big, lots of middle-aged housewives began falling in love with online chat partners. It's a mix of a bunch of different things, and is different for every person. But yeah, there isn't as much in an online arena to "burst your bubble" as there is in real-life. You just have to take everything with a grain of salt.

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
... sometimes ... on one of my other server games... (COOP)

... I'd find 2 players ... (one from Texas and the other from Indiana (older mature players)) (not to mention others from around the world) .. chatting for hours (very latenite) ...
... goofing around verbally .. and using the character models ... on a empty server ...

... so .. its not all kids play ...

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Isla
Hello all,

Fantasy and projection... they project what qualities they want onto the other player, making him or her seem perfect. And since it is on-line, there isn't much to burst the little bubble of fantasy!

In real life, the little bubble usually gets burst right after the honeymoon. :p

Just my .02!

so wait a minute...are you saying you don't love me isla?

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
I'm running NOLF2 right now ...

I cant tell ya how many times I've seen that ...

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
:p

Ok, this is my take so far ...

I think its a combination of things.

1.) Written text and responses validate communication not recieved in real world.
2.) There 'safety', In that theres no real attachment physically.
3.) A mutual connection to time spent role playing.

I'm sure I have more ... but I cant think at the moment...

Anyone else ...?

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
What kind of game server are you running that people are falling in love? I see it happening in MMORPGs, but i haven't heard of it happening on personal game servers.

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
... sometimes ... on one of my other server games... (COOP)

... I'd find 2 players ... (one from Texas and the other from Indiana (older mature players)) (not to mention others from around the world) .. chatting for hours (very latenite) ...
... goofing around verbally .. and using the character models ... on a empty server ...

... so .. its not all kids play ...

Wow... that makes no sense. I had to read through that a few times before I even could decipher what he was writing.

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
i fell in love with someone related to diablo 2 (she doesnt play it... her friend did, it's a community that i belong to that her friend belongs to, we had a big convo once, and her friend invited her. we've been talking ever since :D

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
Well ,,, the Unreal1 COOP server I run occationally,, drew a few late nite visits.

I'd drop in to see what was going on ,, just to have them move to another empty server ....
(to continue a private conversation)

It had a more international mix, since alot of players are in Europe.

The NOLF2 server I've been running has been getting popular. Due to the bandwidth,, it has more player interaction
due to that it holds more players than other servers. And theres not to many of them.