Online games that (officially or unofficially) support 56k

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
I'm still stuck back in 1999 with V.92 56k internet service. Are there any modern (within the past 10 years) games that support online gaming with it?
The only one that I can think of is Halo:CE but I'd like to know what others support it.

Thanks, -Joe

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I'm still stuck back in 1999 with V.92 56k internet service. Are there any modern (within the past 10 years) games that support online gaming with it?
The only one that I can think of is Halo:CE but I'd like to know what others support it.

Thanks, -Joe
It's worse with Satellite Internet - my pings are well over 1000ms
- i don't play any online games :p

You can play many MMORPGs - i played over 56K dialup (in order of 'works well') - but you have to stick to soloing (pretty much)

• LoTRO
  • Guild Wars
  • WoW
  • AoC
Hellgate London was also fine for soloing; and it is coming back free to play with micro transactions; you can get FPS-type action

If you want to play online FPS games, you have find someone who is ALSO on 56K .. and if you want to join a raiding party .. you have to hide in the background (or go with 56K'ers)
:|

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I seem to remember playing Warcraft III on dial up. Had to time all my micro 2-3 seconds ahead of when I wanted it to happen.

I played eve off my old cell phones internet. That was dial-up like speeds.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
I know your pain. We didn't get any (reasonable) alternatives to dialup here until 2007, and it's still pretty crappy DSL service.

Most games up until maybe 3-5 years ago officially support dialup, but how playable they are just depends on the game. Many years ago I used to play shooters like Counterstrike and Day of Defeat via dialup. It was very doable, if you learned to adapt to your 250-350ms latency. MMOs are generally playable as well, like apoppin said.

Nirreln

Jun 17, 2010
Only real problem with playing MMO's on dial-up is it takes forever to download updates. That can tie-up your phone line for quite a long time.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
RTS games should work fine. I'm in Pakistan and play SC2 just well enough on European servers where my ping is about 200ms.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
My entire Asheron's Call experience was dial up. The game handled it well.

Baenwort

Feb 28, 2006

Thanks, -Joe

EVE works well with just a dialup connection if you are doing solo PVP or playing against the computer.

The only barrier to group PVP with a dial-up connection is your inability to use any of the voice services like Vent, Mumble, or TS3 that all the player groups(corporations) use to coordinate. If you are experienced at the game there are some roles that you can fulfill in group PVP that do not require voice coms as one of my corp mates is deaf and able to contribute in group engagements but it took him some time to train into a role that did not require him to be able to hear the fleet commander. The only trouble with aiming for one of those roles from the start is that without a lot of community support you won't last long enough in EVE to reach the training required for them.

If you're interested in EVE and are active on other forums such as: Arstechnica, Something Awful, Penny-Arcade, or Reddit; they all have ingame corps that help active members of their respective forum communities, I'd say give it a try. You can get a free 21 day trial(standard trials are only 14days) if you post on their forums asking about their corps.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Wow can't believe you still have 56k. I actually had some 56k experience for two weeks. I was in two nice motel and the first wireless was terribly slow, and the second wired was no better. Like .5mbps down was the tested speed, but it seemed much worse.

Playing BC2 online I would ping 500-700 most of the time. Back in the day with dial-up internet, you generally got a 300-400 ping. Not sure how in 2011 with broadband it could be worse, but it was. Somehow, I could play okay as long as the server wouldn't kick me for high ping. One time I was the #1 player on the team for most of the round with a 700 ping. :)