Online friend coming to visit, so nervous!

Mar 15, 2003
So, through odd circumstances (a job posting I posted online) I started talking to this girl from London. Very cool kid into many of the things that I'm into. Film, the simpsons, similar taste in music, etc. We've been talking for a while, online on on the phone, and now she's visiting my area to check out a local college... I invited her out for dinner and a movie and she accepted and asked me to give her a little tour of new york as well.. so... i'm just very, very nervous... this is not a brag thread - i'm a spazz and did not earn anything, nor is she an "online girlfriend." I'm just sharing and would appreciate some advice on how not to feel so nervous, other than 'get drunk!'

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
nerds.. they are so humorous. :laugh:

Pretend she is like a friend or someone you are nice to. :roll:

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I met a girl through prodigy back in ~'92-'93 when I was about 15. We were only half a country apart (Chi - NY) but we had never met up. Finally in 2002 I had a chance to go to Chicago [with my fiancee to meet another friend we knew from college]. Anyway, I was only nervous the few minutes that led up to saying hi. I had known her for so long the only thing left was to say hi in person. I thought it was the coolest thing though - meeting someone after knowing them for 10-odd years. I think if it was less lead time, I'd have been more worried than anything. It was a great time. As long as you're not looking to score a romantic relationship, you'll have a great time too.

DannyBoy

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2002
www.danj.me
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212
Originally posted by: moshquerade
you say she is a very cool "kid". is there a big age difference?

nope, she's 21, i'm 24.

Give me her number, I'll surprise her, send her a text and tell her I know you, maybe put in a good word :p

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
This may sound like a silly question, but what are you nervous about? Obviously if you're nervous due to hoping for something beyond friendship, then that's one thing, but doesn't seem to be the case here.

DannyBoy

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2002
www.danj.me
Originally posted by: isasir
This may sound like a silly question, but what are you nervous about? Obviously if you're nervous due to hoping for something beyond friendship, then that's one thing, but doesn't seem to be the case here.

There's always the chance she turns out to be a 45 year old pedo / serial rapist / murderer.

Mar 15, 2003
She doesn't have bad teeth ;) she was born in india, went to high school in paris and college in england - she's not really a "british chick" - has a great accent though that's multi-cultural (a little indian, a little french)

she knows what I look like (yet still wants to meet!) and I know what she looks like..

pic - http://www.swbfilms.com/dev.jpg

I think I will have a drink before dinner... Now how to have dinner without spelling crap all over myself.. yes, I am a nerd!

toekramp

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: isasir

it's easier to be smooth and impress online then it is in the real world, perhaps that is where his concern is coming from?

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
She doesn't have bad teeth ;) she was born in indian, went to high school in paris and college in england - she's not really a "british chick" - has a great accent though that's multi-cultural (a little indian, a little french)

she knows what I look like (yet still wants to meet!) and I know what she looks like..

I think I will have a drink before dinner... Now how to have dinner without spelling crap all over myself.. yes, I am a nerd!

I was going to give a witty reply but I decided against it. My mind is too dirty for a Monday morning.

DannyBoy

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2002
www.danj.me
She doesn't have bad teeth ;) she was born in india, went to high school in paris and college in england - she's not really a "british chick" - has a great accent though that's multi-cultural (a little indian, a little french)

Number imo, I might live near her :evil:

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

ok... that was an interesting picture ;)

any chance we can see yours?