Online CC Numbers: 1 time use

MomAndSkoorbaby

Diamond Member
May 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
My MBNA card has it and it rocks. MBNA rocks!

rolleye.gif

lupohki

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Just a FYI .. the Discover '1 time use' numbers aren't technically 1 time use. The first retailer who uses the number can use the number over and over. You have to explicitly cancel a number.

Feb 24, 2001
Amex Blue has it, what timing. I just got a one time use number about 3 minutes ago and then see this thread. Wowza

Amex calls it "Private Payments"

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I'm pretty sure MBNA, Discover and now Citibank license the same technology from an Irish firm.

The main features are:
  • One-time use vs recurring payments option
  • Up to 1 year Expiration date option
  • Transaction $ amount limit
Someone mentioned Discover ShopSafe doesn't actually support the first option (one-time use), but for the time being, let's say all three banks do the same thing. In each case, it's a convenient Flash applet accessible in any web browser with the plugin. Discover also licenses a client-side native e-wallet app from Brodia, but I avoid anything that collects all your merchant passwords and personal info in one local database. That native app only runs on Winblows anyhow. I haven't used MBNA ShopSafe or Discover DeskShop recently (only Citibank VAN) so I may be a little off on exact details (but AFAIK all three use the same technology).

The point I'm trying to make though is that unless things have changed, these three banks offer more features than AMEX Private Payments. With AMEX PP, you get a one-time use CC that expires in 1 month and no more, unless they have upgraded things in recent months.