One Year Rent Deferment

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Lol, seriously, "but Obama". Its been 3.5 years, he's no longer in charge. What a crazy brain some people have.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
This will be extraordinarily bad. Evict a couple of million. Who then have either nowhere to live or double up with relatives and friends. Any of which will increase infections prolonging the pandemic and the downturn in the economy.

Landlords can now rent to new tenets who will come from where exactly? The millions who were just evicted? So they’ll be dropping prices and/or going insolvent.

They’ll get foreclosed on leaving the banks holding properties no one wants. The banks bottom line will crash and we’ll finally end up at the final result. Spending billions to prop up the banks - again.

But hey crashing the housing market, bailing out banks, evicting millions, and increasing the number of dead from COVID by 10,000s is a small price to pay to avoid the moral hazard of paying those laid off, to pay their landlords to pay the banks until the economy recovers.

Reactions: dainthomas

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
This will be extraordinarily bad. Evict a couple of million. Who then have either nowhere to live or double up with relatives and friends. Any of which will increase infections prolonging the pandemic and the downturn in the economy.

Landlords can now rent to new tenets who will come from where exactly? The millions who were just evicted? So they’ll be dropping prices and/or going insolvent.

They’ll get foreclosed on leaving the banks holding properties no one wants. The banks bottom line will crash and we’ll finally end up at the final result. Spending billions to prop up the banks - again.

But hey crashing the housing market, bailing out banks, evicting millions, and increasing the number of dead from COVID by 10,000s is a small price to pay to avoid the moral hazard of paying those laid off, to pay their landlords to pay the banks until the economy recovers.

Thanks Obama

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Exactly. Inflation is very low, we can borrow essentially for free, so run the printing press until the wheels come off and just give people money.

If we get some inflation out of it? Honestly, good. People are wrongly conditioned to think inflation is inherently bad when it’s not.

Nov 8, 2012
This line of reasoning is very dumb and I’m sure you know it. Why make yourself look stupid?

Are you saying that they couldn't have passed litigation in 2008-2009 timeframe to limit/stop evictions - or financially support the people who were being evicted during the Great Recession?

Because that would be hilarious - as you right now are saying we need to do that

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Are you saying that they couldn't have passed litigation in 2008-2009 timeframe to limit/stop evictions - or financially support the people who were being evicted during the Great Recession?

Because that would be hilarious - as you right now are saying we need to do that

Lordy, can you ever have an honest discussion?

Hint: Fski was only proposing one of those options. Can you identify which one?

Also: Are you saying we are incapable of learning from the response of 2008 and trying different things to have a more effective impact that many of the efforts in 2008 did?

Last edited:

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Conservative's wet dream? Conservatives aren't the ones putting in these evictions silly.

Why don't you ask your ol' butt-buddy Barack-y for his tips on how to evict the most black and brown people since he is the current reigning champ.

Tell that to this Trumpy slumlord:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

He did pass legislation to financially support people affected by the Great Recession, lol.

I told you this line of reasoning was going to make you look stupid but you didn’t listen.

Reactions: TheVrolok

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Lordy, can you ever have an honest discussion?

Hint: Fski was only proposing one of those options. Can you identify which one?

Also: Are you saying we are incapable of learning from the response of 2008 and trying different things to have a more effective impact that many of the efforts in 2008 did?
First, Obama did do what he’s insinuating he didn’t, so right out the gate he fails history 101.

Second, Obama wanted more stimulus than the median member of Congress so it’s more on them than Obama.

Third, you’re exactly right - Obama’s response wasn’t perfect but we learned that the basic idea works, so we should do more of it.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
So it's 2020 and millions will be evicted. What's the Senate actually willing to pass. Obviously, it has to have their name on it or won't make it off the pile.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
He also left the country in pretty good shape . How quickly people forget.

Yea, better than the admin before him, and apparently better than the one after. Unless you're super rich of course, then you got a money shower.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
He did pass legislation to financially support people affected by the Great Recession, lol.

I told you this line of reasoning was going to make you look stupid but you didn’t listen.

Even Republicans do stimulus in a recession, so I would hope so, haha. The bill signed by Trump was significantly larger, and you claim more needs to be done -- that is what he's referring to I would think. It wasn't enough in 2009 clearly. Using this logic, the Republicans already have done enough if Obama did enough.

The problematic part of his post was this:"Conservative's wet dream? Conservatives aren't the ones putting in these evictions silly. " -- because it's pretty clear conservatives will only go so far stimulus, which is the case here with Trump and when Obama became president.

Sorkin: Democrats too reticent to go big. But Republicans completely obstinate. Obama went after health care, could have focused on other things. Higher capital requirements cut against trying for fast recovery 9/

Austerity: Faroohar asks Eisinger. Eisinger: Obama embraced austerity, entitlement reform. Terrible political mistake. Obama/Summers moved to the Republicans. GOP implacable opposed 10/

Housing relief could have been much more aggressive. Capital requirements not really a problem. Opportunity was there. 11/

I asked why Obama didn't use reconciliation to get a bigger stimulus. Both Eisinger and Sorkin basically blame hope and change: Obama was trying to be bipartisan (and pussyfooted on health care until Pelosi stepped in) 17/

Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Are they deferring tax liabilities for the property?

How about insurance costs?

What about when the tenant requests maintenance? Sorry, can't repair the AC, I have no source of income

How about yard maintenance? Can the owner demand the tenant mow the lawn?

How about the electric bill? Water bill? Can the owner cut those since he doesn't have the income to pay for them?

Are you starting to see how fucking retarded this is and out of touch with reality that it is?

As someone who is all about personal responsibility and making sound financial decisions, I would have expected you to question why the landlords didn't have money in savings. Only an imbecile would be running a deficit on a rental property, right?

Nov 8, 2012
As someone who is all about personal responsibility and making sound financial decisions, I would have expected you to question why the landlords didn't have money in savings. Only an imbecile would be running a deficit on a rental property, right?
If you don't hold tenants to any standards, why would you hold the hundreds of thousands of landlords to a standard?

Contrary to popular belief, landlords in general aren't the monopoly man with giant ass deep pockets of cash.

Nov 8, 2012

The real question is... Do you read the shit you posted? You're just making yourself look stupid.

I said that during the Great Recession recovery that more black and brown people were evicted than ever.

This still holds true - and I never insinuated that legislation wasn't passed - Believe me, I know tons of shit stimulus was passed... That doesn't take away from my original point silly.

Let's just take a look at this BASTION of AMAZING legislation that you linked shall we?

Did they have rules in place to prevent eviction? Or even requiring lenders to have forbearance? How about direct stimulus to the folks that actually NEEDED it - with underwater mortgages that they couldn't afford? How about ANYTHING related to the housing crisis whatsoever?

I'll just take some that MIGHT be relevant to homeowners as per the link on Wikipedia.

• $116 billion: New payroll tax credit of $400 per worker and $800 per couple in 2009 and 2010. Phaseout begins at $75,000 for individuals and $150,000 for joint filers.[29] - LOL. $400 as a one-time tax credit will SURELY help someone with a $2,000/month mortgage with property taxes. Doesn't target homeowners, so most of this amount doesn't effect the housing crisis.
  • $15 billion: Expansion of child tax credit: A $1,000 credit to more families (even those that do not make enough money to pay income taxes). Okay - I guess that can be slightly helpful if you have kids. Still, just a one-time - and that's only at tax time. Does little to nothing - and isn't targeted to home owners
  • $4.7 billion: Excluding from taxation the first $2,400 a person receives in unemployment compensation benefits in 2009. lol does little to nothing. Doesn't target homeowners.
  • $40 billion to provide extended unemployment benefits through December 31, and increase them by $25 a week Okay - but again, unemployment ends - and this doesn't target homeowners
  • $19.9 billion for the Food Stamp Program lol does little to nothing. Doesn't target homeowners.
  • $3.2 billion in temporary welfare payments (TANF and WIC) lol does little to nothing. Doesn't target homeowners

So in this GIANT fucking TURD of a bill of $831 BILLION DOLLARS a quick scan shows a YUUUUUUGE amount of MAYBE $200 billion that you can say sort of applies to homeowners. Again, with things like the $116B (over half of the $200B that I mentioned) tax credit to give everyone $400 - that does nothing for homeowners, and it isn't targeted to homeowners. There is LITERALLY nothing on this piece of shit that helped homeowners.

The rest is just bureaucratic bloat of RANDOM shit that had nothing to do with the disaster. How cute.

So again, tell me how your god and savior did so much to help poor black and brown folks? The answer is he didn't. The eviction numbers showed this. This stupid turd of a bill that you linked and called me stupid for shows this.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The real question is... Do you read the shit you posted? You're just making yourself look stupid.

I said that during the Great Recession recovery that more black and brown people were evicted than ever.

This still holds true - and I never insinuated that legislation wasn't passed - Believe me, I know tons of shit stimulus was passed... That doesn't take away from my original point silly.

I was literally responding to the question you asked, lol.
Let's just take a look at this BASTION of AMAZING legislation that you linked shall we?

Did they have rules in place to prevent eviction? Or even requiring lenders to have forbearance? How about direct stimulus to the folks that actually NEEDED it - with underwater mortgages that they couldn't afford? How about ANYTHING related to the housing crisis whatsoever?

I'll just take some that MIGHT be relevant to homeowners as per the link on Wikipedia.

So in this GIANT fucking TURD of a bill of $831 BILLION DOLLARS a quick scan shows a YUUUUUUGE amount of MAYBE $200 billion that you can say sort of applies to homeowners. Again, with things like the $116B (over half of the $200B that I mentioned) tax credit to give everyone $400 - that does nothing for homeowners, and it isn't targeted to homeowners. There is LITERALLY nothing on this piece of shit that helped homeowners.

The rest is just bureaucratic bloat of RANDOM shit that had nothing to do with the disaster. How cute.

So again, tell me how your god and savior did so much to help poor black and brown folks? The answer is he didn't. The eviction numbers showed this. This stupid turd of a bill that you linked and called me stupid for shows this.

If you actually bothered to read the ARRA did plenty for people who would otherwise have been struggling to pay the rent/mortgage. I warned you that you would end up looking stupid, you should have listened to me!

Anyways, continue with your rage stroke-out! I never want to get in the way of a good meltdown.

Nov 8, 2012
I was literally responding to the question you asked, lol.

If you actually bothered to read the ARRA did plenty for people who would otherwise have been struggling to pay the rent/mortgage. I warned you that you would end up looking stupid, you should have listened to me!

Anyways, continue with your rage stroke-out! I never want to get in the way of a good meltdown.
I posted numbers and quotes directly from the stimulus bill.

You posted nothing but your feelings.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I posted numbers and quotes directly from the stimulus bill.

You posted nothing but your feelings.
You posted that you didn’t understand the bill or my posts.

1) Targeting assistance directly to homeowners is dumb anyway, as I already mentioned.

2) The right answer is to give money to everyone. The ARRA did that partially in tax incentives and extended unemployment insurance, but also did so through direct federal expenditures (which of course end up putting people to work and giving them money).

It is really funny that you either didn’t know this or were too inept to put the obvious pieces together.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Hey Congress, better start giving people money again soon or we are going to see an economic bomb go off that will dwarf the Great Recession.