One Year Rent Deferment

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Hm, something-something bootstraps, right?

Maybe those people can do like that weird fella in the OT forum who's living in a tent. Just don't pitch it on someone else's land because then you clearly deserve to be shot...
One thing we can be sure of. The current administration would have no problem teargassing a Trumpville.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I guess we can call eating and having a place to sleep "one of those luxuries that people don't want to give once they get a taste of them."

I guess, kinda sad. Like that saying / joke goes, what's consider savvy is your wealthy but dirty if your poor....government handouts.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Last I heard Trump wanted this so he could buy some votes but the repugs in Congress were balking at it.
I fully expect that these stimulus checks will be used in tRump campaign aids. And to some extent it will work.

Of course no one recognizes how much clout that $1200 now and then is a really pathetic statement about the US economy for 99% of the people.

My grandson, who is 19, just bought a really nice 2018 RAM 2500 Cummings powred truck, with a major down payment (about 40%) to keep the payments down, spent thousands on wheels, tires, bed cover, etc, and still has way north of 10K in savings. And because of his age or something, he doesn't get stimulus checks.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I fully expect that these stimulus checks will be used in tRump campaign aids. And to some extent it will work.

I mean Trump literally delayed the last round of check to have his name printed on them.

Nov 8, 2012

Of course no one recognizes how much clout that $1200 now and then is a really pathetic statement about the US economy for 99% of the people.

My grandson, who is 19, just bought a really nice 2018 RAM 2500 Cummings powred truck, with a major down payment (about 40%) to keep the payments down, spent thousands on wheels, tires, bed cover, etc, and still has way north of 10K in savings. And because of his age or something, he doesn't get stimulus checks.

Uhhhh it's pretty simple - is he a dependent on his parents tax return or not?

If he can afford a $60k truck then he should be able to live on his own and file his own taxes.

Tell the parents who claim him as a dependent to cough up the $500 they got?

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004

If he can afford a $60k truck then he should be able to live on his own and file his own taxes.

No, he is not a dependent,
he does,
even if he was a dependent, stimulus $500 is not given for dependents over 16.
he does not qualify for a stimulus check himself, based on age.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Lol do some research first.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
No, he is not a dependent,
he does,
even if he was a dependent, stimulus $500 is not given for dependents over 16.
he does not qualify for a stimulus check himself, based on age.

If he's not listed as a dependent I'm pretty sure he does qualify.

Nov 8, 2012
Uh no, you can't claim someone as a dependent when they make $55+K.

Yeap he should qualify.

Perhaps the explanation is that he was marked as a dependent in the tax year 2018?

Regardless, if he filed himself in tax year 2019, he should qualify.

I wouldn't sweat it too much - even if he isn't sent a check (which was based on your tax filing in 2018 OR 2019 if you filed early)... According to what I've read you will get a stimulus if you didn't receive it when you file your 2020 tax return

What About 18-Year-Olds?
The way the law is written, taxpayers receive $500 for each child under the age of 17 in the tax year used. So, if you were 17 in 2019, your parents didn’t receive a stimulus payment for you, but you didn’t get a stimulus check, either. Because the economic impact payments are a tax credit for 2020, you can claim the tax credit when you file your 2020 tax return.

“None of this helps anyone who needs it now, and I hope they change that, seeing as how many people probably need the money,” Stewart says. “But I doubt we’ll see movement on accelerating the first stimulus check, even though they’re talking about a second stimulus payment.”

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Uh no, you can't claim someone as a dependent when they make $55+K.

His parents could have tried to anyway, otherwise what's the holdup? Filed late with no deposit info? Or he screwed up inputting it? He should have already gotten the stimulus money.