"One weekend a month My ASS!"

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Interesting, don't know what to say, other than they have contractual obligations these that joined the military for a "jobs" program of sorts are now complaining when called on. I do feel for them though. This is not a defensive war and was sold on an overadvertised threat, once your in I think we must complete mission though.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Ferocious
See photo at bottom.

bleh....it seems like he's acting like a crybaby.

What do you think?

I disagree. There is quite a bit of (mostly) good natured ribbing between regular AD servicemen and the reservist (or weekend warriors) I think he is simply reminding everyone that they are over there doing the job also. Maybe Rogue could shed some more light on it. Of course that's just speculation since only the guy who made the sign knows what he meant.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Zebo
Interesting, don't know what to say, other than they have contractual obligations these that joined the military for a "jobs" program of sorts are now complaining when called on. I do feel for them though. This is not a defensive war and was sold on an overadvertised threat, once your in I think we must complete mission though.

Whoa a actuall non-extreme leftie comment! I am impressed! Anyway, they can suck it up. Your not going to college for free buddy.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
Tabb -

You really are clueless about Zebo aren't you ?

Ya I'm pretty conservative socially, Believe in things like honor, disapline, duty etc but liberal economically...Like we have a duty to protect and help the weak etc. Makes me very unpopular with the debased selfish napster loving young replublicans running around here since they only look out for number one. Oh well it's not thier fault daddy did'nt love them.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Tabb

Whoa a actuall non-extreme leftie comment! I am impressed! Anyway, they can suck it up. Your not going to college for free buddy.

It makes life very difficult for Tabb when he realizes he cannot simply clump people into highly generalized categories and assume everything they believe in fits into his pre-defined classifications.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
I think he should lose his G.I. Bill

Speaking of which.

My father remembers Bush Senior stating that the honor of fighting for our country was enough and that there really shouldn't be a G. I. Bill. No, I don't have a link but I'm sure it is somewhere. And no, I am not looking it up for you. I trust my father did not mistake his ears. My father, being a crusty old veteran, was not amused, and he's been pissed off at that comment ever since. Especially since Bush was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. What about all the poor blokes who hope that in exchange for their bravery and service, they might get the chance to make something more of themselves?

So, who here thinks the honor of fighting for the US is reward enough? That the GI Bill shouldn't be necessary?

And don't bother calling me a leftie just because I dare to question things. :p

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Isla

Speaking of which.

My father remembers Bush Senior stating that the honor of fighting for our country was enough and that there really shouldn't be a G. I. Bill. No, I don't have a link but I'm sure it is somewhere. And no, I am not looking it up for you. I trust my father did not mistake his ears. My father, being a crusty old veteran, was not amused, and he's been pissed off at that comment ever since. Especially since Bush was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. What about all the poor blokes who hope that in exchange for their bravery and service, they might get the chance to make something more of themselves?

So, who here thinks the honor of fighting for the US is reward enough? That the GI Bill shouldn't be necessary?

Actually, the military is the ONLY social program the republicans seem to TRULY want to pay for.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

Speaking of which.

Actually, the military is the ONLY social program the republicans seem to TRULY want to pay for.

You forget about corporate welfare...Billions for airlines..Billions in tax breaks..Industrial farms etc

Republicans are the biggest welfare whores of all for thier wares. Then bitch about the paltry 113 billion (less than 5%) spent on families.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
Tabb -

You really are clueless about Zebo aren't you ?

Ya I'm pretty conservative socially, Believe in things like honor, disapline, duty etc but liberal economically...Like we have a duty to protect and help the weak etc. Makes me very unpopular with the debased selfish napster loving young replublicans running around here since they only look out for number one. Oh well it's not thier fault daddy did'nt love them.

Do you actually agree with the RIAA then? I sort of do :eek:

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003

Speaking of which.

You forget about corporate welfare...Billions for airlines..Billions in tax breaks..Industrial farms etc

Republicans are the biggest welfare whores of all for thier wares. Then bitch about the paltry 113 billion (less than 5%) spent on families.

Do you want to be the one that pulls the corporations off the governments tit? It wont be a pretty sight to behold. And some people think the economy is bad now(which its not).

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001

Speaking of which.

You need to find that quote. You posted it, you have to prove it.

As to your question, here's my answer. The goverment should be held accountable for what they promised when a guy enlists or accepts his commission. Medical, dental, GI Bill whatever. I've been on active duty for 19+ years and although base pay has consistently gone up, every other pay and benefit has gone through multiple iterations. Champus, Humana, Tricare have all been used for family medical, each withit's own set of problems and limitations. GI Bill, VEAP, Montgomery GI Bill have all been used for the GI Bill, each of which has had a decreasing benefit (didn't know that did you). Redux retirement plan which put the the retirement % at 40% after 20 years vice 50% and the list goes on. Lots of things that were promised when I enlisted have gone away or been reduced, most of which go unnoticed by the public. That's what got me so fired up yesterday. This has been going on for years and nobody cared but suddenly someone sees an opportunity to take a rip at Bush and they all of a sudden have some great concern for the .mil and their families. Hypocrites.

Now having said all that let me clarify something. I'm not whining about it, I'm answering a question. I volunteered, I reenlisted voluntarily, my wife knew what she was getting into when we got married, etc. I volunteered for it and I don't complain abut it too much. But for those of you who are suddenly feigning outrage at the treatment of the .mil because it is politically expedient for you to do so, save it. You're fooling no one.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet

Speaking of which.

You need to find that quote. You posted it, you have to prove it.

As to your question, here's my answer. The goverment should be held accountable for what they promised when a guy enlists or accepts his commission. Medical, dental, GI Bill whatever. I've been on active duty for 19+ years and although base pay has consistently gone up, every other pay and benefit has gone through multiple iterations. Champus, Humana, Tricare have all been used for family medical, each withit's own set of problems and limitations. GI Bill, VEAP, Montgomery GI Bill have all been used for the GI Bill, each of which has had a decreasing benefit (didn't know that did you). Redux retirement plan which put the the retirement % at 40% after 20 years vice 50% and the list goes on. Lots of things that were promised when I enlisted have gone away or been reduced, most of which go unnoticed by the public. That's what got me so fired up yesterday. This has been going on for years and nobody cared but suddenly someone sees an opportunity to take a rip at Bush and they all of a sudden have some great concern for the .mil and their families. Hypocrites.

Now having said all that let me clarify something. I'm not whining about it, I'm answering a question. I volunteered, I reenlisted voluntarily, my wife knew what she was getting into when we got married, etc. I volunteered for it and I don't complain abut it too much. But for those of you who are suddenly feigning outrage at the treatment of the .mil because it is politically expedient for you to do so, save it. You're fooling no one.

The quote is the reason my dad has not been a supporter of Bush I or II, and it's a grudge he's held for oh, nearly 20 years, I think? Since I didn't follow politics when I was a kid, I can only go by the impact it had on him (and hence my opinions growing up.). I wouldn't know where to look for it... all I know is that my dad has never forgotten it, and that's saying something to me, even if it doesn't mean anything to you. Bottom line: My dad is a veteran and a conservative man who served his time in Korea and he's never been a Bush fan. And even though when I was younger I rebelled against my father (I even married a Republican! :p ), in my old age I am starting to see that the old man is actually very wise. :D

Anyway, I don't think I qualify for 'suddenly feigning outrage'.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Speaking of which.

Social program? since when did the constitution mandate social programs? Sorry but your characterization is way off base. The military is mandated by our constitution. Remember the part about providing for the common defense?

rolleye.gif

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: NesuD

Speaking of which.

Social program? since when did the constitution mandate social programs? Sorry but your characterization is way off base. The military is mandated by our constitution. Remember the part about providing for the common defense?
rolleye.gif

A military is mandated by constitution. I don't remember where in the constitution it says $400B military spending and corporate welfare is mandated.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

..Hypocrites.

The most insightful and truthful commentary yet offered regarding this topic. . . .

:beer:

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
The quote is the reason my dad has not been a supporter of Bush I or II, and it's a grudge he's held for oh, nearly 20 years, I think? Since I didn't follow politics when I was a kid, I can only go by the impact it had on him (and hence my opinions growing up.). I wouldn't know where to look for it... all I know is that my dad has never forgotten it, and that's saying something to me, even if it doesn't mean anything to you. Bottom line: My dad is a veteran and a conservative man who served his time in Korea and he's never been a Bush fan. And even though when I was younger I rebelled against my father (I even married a Republican! ), in my old age I am starting to see that the old man is actually very wise.

Bush used the GI Bill when he attended Yale so I would be very surprised if he opposed it. Unless he wanted to replace it with something else. Anyway I've searched and can't find it.

Jan 12, 2003
The quote is the reason my dad has not been a supporter of Bush I or II, and it's a grudge he's held for oh, nearly 20 years, I think? Since I didn't follow politics when I was a kid, I can only go by the impact it had on him (and hence my opinions growing up.). I wouldn't know where to look for it... all I know is that my dad has never forgotten it, and that's saying something to me, even if it doesn't mean anything to you. Bottom line: My dad is a veteran and a conservative man who served his time in Korea and he's never been a Bush fan. And even though when I was younger I rebelled against my father (I even married a Republican! ), in my old age I am starting to see that the old man is actually very wise.

Bush used the GI Bill when he attended Yale so I would be very surprised if he opposed it. Unless he wanted to replace it with something else. Anyway I've searched and can't find it.

No way; her dad said so it must be true!

Bush didn't take my G.I. Bill away...used it all and never bitched about a major deployment. Most active duty realize that deployment comes with the territory (and the benefits); most join the reserves just to get the G.I. Bill, some beer money for one weekend a month, free donuts during their drills, ability to use a military hospital, and to join the proverbial check-of-the-month club. Once they have to actually do something for all the cheese, they like to piss and moan like the beaches they leave home. "Oh, look, Billy had to leave his law practice and we have been living beyond our means and now I have to get a job to pay rent....bring him home to his real job, please. I know you paid for his J.D. and put braces on my kids' teeth and paid for the delivery of them and gave us free housing and money for food on top of your regular pay; yea, I know we used thousands in tuition assistance and got COLA adjustments when overseas; but we need him home..."

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: burnedout

..Hypocrites.

The most insightful and truthful commentary yet offered regarding this topic. . . .

Really.. It sounds like total partisan BS to me. Plenty of outrage at that site. Must be politically expediant to have your son die over there just to prove a point huh.Yep poor missguided parents holding thier sons up as political pawns, how dare they feign outrage.
How dare a liberal even comment on the .mil situation. In fact why should liberals care for the state of anyone that not a liberal. We sure as hell don't.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001

..Hypocrites.

Really.. It sounds like total partisan BS to me. Plenty of outrage at that site. Must be politically expediant to have your son die over there just to prove a point huh.Yep poor missguided parents holding thier sons up as political pawns, how dare they feign outrage.
How dare a liberal even comment on the .mil situation. In fact why should liberals care for the state of anyone that not a liberal. We sure as hell don't.

I wasn't referring to that site, I was referrring to the people on this board (and other places) that are suddenly outraged at the treatment of the .mil and their families. They've been noticeably quiet for years and many were probably complaining about how large the defense budget was but suddenly they're concerned about the welfare of the .mil and their families because it gives them a reason to rip on Bush.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

..Hypocrites.

I wasn't referring to that site, I was referrring to the people on this board (and other places) that are suddenly outraged at the treatment of the .mil and their families. They've been noticeably quiet for years and many were probably complaining about how large the defense budget was but suddenly they're concerned about the welfare of the .mil and their families because it gives them a reason to rip on Bush.

So you have charts & graphs that shows the relative loudness and frequency of the complaining over the last few years? Are you taking notes or something?