One USB LInux Installation Between Multiple Systems:

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Is it not reliable to have one Linux USB installation and used between multiple systems that each have different hardware, such as each one having a different motherboard, different CPU, and different GPU? Is it best to have one Linux installation per a system and install it on that specific system even if the installation will be on a USB SSD? The reason I'm asking this is because yesterday I created a USB Linux installation, POP! OS specifically, and wanted to test it out between three different systems, one work laptop, one Intel NUC, and one gaming PC, and when reconnected the USB SSD to my Intel NUC, Linux wouldn't load up and gave me a blank screen and 3 minutes later a message at the top right of the screen saying "Failed to flush a random file", and I had to hard reboot my Intel NUC.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Should work across multiple systems. Ubuntu does.
I tried with POP! Os but at some point my USB portable installation I think broke, maybe due to not uninstalling the Nvidia drivers when I connected my USB SSD to my Intel NUC which uses Intel HD Graphics 520 driver and not the Nvidia ones, and somehow the OS got confused? Should specific drivers, such as GPU drivers be uninstalled before moving the OS to a completely different system, such as a system with a different GPU and motherboard chipset?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
That makes a big difference and as you mentioned Nvidia that could very likely be the issue. I thought you were asking about the install ISO not a portable image.

On the Nvidia system moving the cable to the igpu should allow for video and them update the image to include the additional hw. Once it's updated move the cable back and it should work. Though the generic package should still give output IIRC. It's been awhile since I've used it with a discrete card.