One Town's War on Gay Teens

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
So you are saying at 13 years of age you still weren't sure about whether you wanted to bang dudes or not?

LOL, whats with your reading comprehension?...I'm saying that at 13, nobody has any idea about being gay.....and if I had a child at 13 thinking they were gay, I would have them seeing the Doctor!

RocksteadyDotNet

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2008
LOL, whats with your reading comprehension?...I'm saying that at 13, nobody has any idea about being gay.....and if I had a child at 13 thinking they were gay, I would have them seeing the Doctor!

Wow, you're retarded.

Most people know their sexual orientation by 13.

Didn't you know you were straight at 13? If so, then why wouldn't a gay person know they were gay?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

When you were 13, did you have an idea of being Straight?

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000

All I'm saying is I distinctly remember having a crush on a girl in the 2nd grade. (7-8 years old at that time).

And its not that uncommon for kids to behave sexually by 13.

13 years old is a freshman in high school and if you think they have no idea about sex or "being gay" at that age than you need to open your eyes.

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Both my Son and my Daughter had problems with bullying and harassment at school. They were not Gay. This has nothing to do with being gay; it has to do with growing up in society. People kid each other all the time at work, in School, and everywhere else. Get use to it! Didnt you people go to High School?

Riparian

Jul 21, 2011
Both my Son and my Daughter had problems with bullying and harassment at school. They were not Gay. This has nothing to do with being gay; it has to do with growing up in society. People kid each other all the time at work, in School, and everywhere else. Get use to it! Didnt you people go to High School?

Every person's breaking point is different. Some kids can take the abuse and will move past it. Some cannot take the abuse and take their own lives. And then there are some who go insane from the abuse and start school shootings. It's best to minimize the amount of abuse there is in schools and a good way to do that is for the adults to set an example and not create a ridiculous environment for a particularly marginalized high school demographic.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think at 13 boys may call each other names and may have a vague idea about sex, but they dont really know enought to be gay or straight, unless someone is teaching them what they should be and how they should act. I guess what really matters is if they are in a family where incest exists and they have access to sex partners things might be different. So a lot depends on the society you grow up in.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I think at 13 boys may call each other names and may have a vague idea about sex, but they dont really know enought to be gay or straight, unless someone is teaching them what they should be and how they should act. I guess what really matters is if they are in a family where incest exists and they have access to sex partners things might be different. So a lot depends on the society you grow up in.

So these gay kids take excessive abuse and kill themselves, but that's okay, they should toughen up, oh, and by the way, there's incest/sexual abuse at home making them gay. What the fuck is wrong with you?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Cant handle the truth?

Kids are mean. Shure the school could try to alter the environment, but then they would have to acutally enforce standards. Something a potty mouth like you would not understand!

Last edited:

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
If I ever discovered that my child, gay or otherwise, tried to take her own life because of this sort of bullying, I'd burn the school to the ground. Lock me up for the rest of my life. At that point I wouldn't value my life.

I can't think of anything worse than losing your child to suicide.

Having children has made me alot more emotional about these sorts of subjects.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
So these gay kids take excessive abuse and kill themselves, but that's okay, they should toughen up, oh, and by the way, there's incest/sexual abuse at home making them gay. What the fuck is wrong with you?

Considering the posting history of that poster, a lot is wrong with him. Those who hate gay people don't want to accept that it's a natural thing. Therefore they can't believe that someone as young as 13 would know they're gay. Though I myself remember being droolingly attracted to girls as young as 5 or 6.

He also if you notice wants to marginalize the abuse that gay kids suffer from their peers. While it's true that children are cruel and nearly everyone is subject to bullying, gay children are subject to an escessively larger amount. Hell, even you just did it yourself piasabird. You just insinuated that any kid who accepts their homosexuality at a young age must be the result of incest or abuse. You just bullied gay teens with your statement, just not to their face directly. You're a bad person piasabird, no sarcasm, you're just a horrible and disgusting human being.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
If I ever discovered that my child, gay or otherwise, tried to take her own life because of this sort of bullying, I'd burn the school to the ground. Lock me up for the rest of my life. At that point I wouldn't value my life.

I can't think of anything worse than losing your child to suicide.

Having children has made me alot more emotional about these sorts of subjects.

Isn't that your job as a parent, to make sure they learn how to handle criticism? Sticks and stones... You know the saying. I am teaching that to a 6 year old as of late, he freaks out if I call him a "jerk" like his life just ended. I could call him any other name in the book and he will just ignore me, but "jerk" is the one that sets him off. I'm trying to teach him that words don't hurt.

Physical abuse on the other hand is different, verbal abuse should be a non issue. I keep trying to teach him not to let verbal abuse bother him. He is the reason why the comment "jerk" bothers him, because he's letting it bother him. It should just roll off his shoulders no different if I called him "nerd."

Kids do funny things, mostly, they obsess about things they should not care about. Why should a girl care if a redneck punk bullied her by calling her "***." She should just think "Thats what rednecks do! I'm a better person because I'm not a redneck." They commit suicide because they can't handle the emotional trama by someone who is irrelevant to their lives. They need to learn that lesson, and it seems alot of parents are not preparing their kids for things like this.

I call the 6 year old a "jerk" more now even though he hates it, not because I'm trying to make him commit suicide, but rather make him realize that it doesn't matter. It's called
desensitizing. I can't image what he will do in school if another kid calls him "jerk." He will just freak out. That is not healthy, and will only introduce bullying to him, because kids will think its funny, and use it against him. Fortunately he hasn't run into anybody yet to call him a jerk.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
This. You hadn't already looked at a pretty girl and considered you wanted something to do with her?

Yeah. Right.

I knew I was straight in kindergarten. I had crushes on girls at that age. I even remember one of them. The funny thing is, I can say I knew I was straight at age 4 and no one will even blink, but if someone says they know they're gay at age 13, then something must be amiss.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Isn't that your job as a parent, to make sure they learn how to handle criticism? Sticks and stones... You know the saying. I am teaching that to a 6 year old as of late, he freaks out if I call him a "jerk" like his life just ended. I could call him any other name in the book and he will just ignore me, but "jerk" is the one that sets him off. I'm trying to teach him that words don't hurt.

Why the fuck does one have to be criticized for being gay?

9 suicides in that school district alone says that problem is not with the children.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Physical abuse on the other hand is different, verbal abuse should be a non issue. I keep trying to teach him not to let verbal abuse bother him. He is the reason why the comment "jerk" bothers him, because he's letting it bother him. It should just roll off his shoulders no different if I called him "nerd."

There is verbal abuse and there is verbal abuse. If someone were to call me stupid, or a jerk, or a run-of-the-mill insult, I wouldn't call that "abuse". Recurrent, calculatedly cruel abuse reinforced or ignored by one's peers is different. I can see a young child begin to believe the horrible things said about him or her if there is no bulwark to stand against it.

Kids do funny things, mostly, they obsess about things they should not care about. Why should a girl care if a redneck punk bullied her by calling her "***." She should just think "Thats what rednecks do! I'm a better person because I'm not a redneck."

For that matter, why should the bully call her a *** in the first place?

They commit suicide because they can't handle the emotional trama by someone who is irrelevant to their lives. They need to learn that lesson, and it seems alot of parents are not preparing their kids for things like this.

I might agree if we were talking about adults. Adults have the mental prowess to know that most insults are masked admissions of insecurity. But the true understanding of that comes with experience, not instruction, I think.

I call the 6 year old a "jerk" more now even though he hates it, not because I'm trying to make him commit suicide, but rather make him realize that it doesn't matter. It's called
desensitizing. I can't image what he will do in school if another kid calls him "jerk." He will just freak out. That is not healthy, and will only introduce bullying to him, because kids will think its funny, and use it against him. Fortunately he hasn't run into anybody yet to call him a jerk.

DISCLAIMER: Not calling your parenting into question.

Do you reward the child when he responds to your fake insult in the way you want him to?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Why the fuck does one have to be criticized for being gay?

For the same reason for which anyone gets bullied: They don't fit in, and bullies are assholes.

9 suicides in that school district alone says that problem is not with the children.

Agreed. I don't think he meant to blame the children for this.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000

Kids do funny things, mostly, they obsess about things they should not care about. Why should a girl care if a redneck punk bullied her by calling her "***." She should just think "Thats what rednecks do! I'm a better person because I'm not a redneck." They commit suicide because they can't handle the emotional trama by someone who is irrelevant to their lives. They need to learn that lesson, and it seems alot of parents are not preparing their kids for things like this.

So years of verbal abuse from their peers and indifference by authorities compares to you calling a 6 year old a jerk. Not only they are ostracized by the community for the way they are, and you are ok with this. I guess we know which side of the bullying you are on, and I hope that 6 year gets turns out ok, because the deck is stacked against them knowing someone like you.

Was this harassment the usual shit people in school, or it was years of institutionally approved abuse specific to them? This has everything to do with them being gay, if you were capable of reading the article you'd understand that, but apparently that much thinking is far beyond your ability.

Last edited:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I knew I was straight in kindergarten. I had crushes on girls at that age. I even remember one of them. The funny thing is, I can say I knew I was straight at age 4 and no one will even blink, but if someone says they know they're gay at age 13, then something must be amiss.

This. From 5/6-10ish, I had no clue about Sex and Kissing was right out, but I knew I wanted to be near Girls. Around 12ish kissing and more became the goal. There was no confusion about me being Straight, although I had no clue what the term "Straight" meant.