One Town's War on Gay Teens

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
13 and 14 year old going around saying that they are gay?? WTF? How the hell have they made that decision and what the fuck are their parents doing about it?

lol what you want their parents to do about it? Make them NOT gay? Some "treatment"? In the article, one dude said he was gay in high school and the mom said "just because you can't get him pregnant doesn't mean you shouldn't use protection."

If the person's not really gay and in a phase then they will grow out of it or go back to being not gay.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Welcome to middle school, where everybody is made fun of in one way or another. I suppose this chick went around bragging she was gay, and learned an important lesson.

<--- Has lived within 20 miles of that school for 20 years, and currently lives in Michelle Bachman's district.

It should be noted that this area leans conservative, middle class area. Alot of people attending these schools live in border rural areas and are probably fairly "redneck."

Common sense people.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Welcome to middle school, where everybody is made fun of in one way or another. I suppose this chick went around bragging she was gay, and learned an important lesson.

<--- Has lived within 20 miles of that school for 20 years, and currently lives in Michelle Bachman's district.

It should be noted that this area leans conservative, middle class area. Alot of people attending these schools live in border rural areas and are probably fairly "redneck."

Common sense people.

Did you read the article? That might answer your question.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Common sense people.

So the district bears no responsibility for a policy their own lawyers considered legally indefensible? It seems to me they failed their student body by letting social conservatives persecute gay kids which also spilled over and caused collateral damage to kids only perceived as being gay. 9 suicides in one district over two years means there is a problem.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
13 and 14 year old going around saying that they are gay?? WTF? How the hell have they made that decision and what the fuck are their parents doing about it?

wtf?

i knew at 13-14 that i wanted to fuck the friends of my big sisters. so i would imagine that a guy at 13-14 would know if they want to fuck another guy. What could parents do about? lol

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
When the government forces all children into that social setting, it bares a great deal of responsibility at ensuring their safety. If the children are not safe then increasingly drastic measures must be taken to make the school secure.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

Hopefully the parents are supporting their children's sexual orientation and being loving parents. Most of the gay people I've known and bothered to ask knew they were gay in elementary school before they even knew what being gay was.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006

I'm a guy who knew for sure that I was attracted to girls at 13, and I didn't make any decision about it. I don't have a hard time believing it's possible to know you're gay at that age.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
So the district bears no responsibility for a policy their own lawyers considered legally indefensible? It seems to me they failed their student body by letting social conservatives persecute gay kids which also spilled over and caused collateral damage to kids only perceived as being gay. 9 suicides in one district over two years means there is a problem.

Whoa, I missed that part - 9 suicides? That school district is a wet dream for a lawyer who wants to make an easy buck. Every one of the bullied children would easily get enough money to pay for their college education in full.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Common sense people.

LOL, that's pretty much how I describe this area. Redneck. I live over in Blaine, and most of the people around here are pretty nice, but not very diverse and there are definitely some intolerant assholes.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
It's a school issue, what the hell are the teachers and administrators doing by allowing any type of persecution to happen in their damn school. The shouldn't be an administrator with a job in that school and probably most of the teachers. They should be fired for cause and get some adults in there that put a stop to that bullshit.

I did read the article. A lot of the blame lies with the school board. The policy they created was so confusing that the administration and teachers didn't feel safe to stop the bullying. Basically the school board was held hostage by the anti-gay christians and the school board tied the hands of the teachers and administration. So much hate around this issue it is very sad.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Failed attempt at a community. Recycle the resources and try again.

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
lol what you want their parents to do about it? Make them NOT gay? Some "treatment"? In the article, one dude said he was gay in high school and the mom said "just because you can't get him pregnant doesn't mean you shouldn't use protection."

Poor Justin :'(

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
You only need to look at Michelle Bachman's husband to know how hard it is to come out of the closet in her community.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That really isn't a bigoted joke. More of an attempt at false equivalency by you.

He attempted to make a joke about someone using his sexuality as a slur.

Democrats can be bigots too. Defending senseamp, I guess you're one of them, bigot.