One SSD on a new laptop is it ok or best not to partition it?

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I plan on imaging it every day or every week. Though really don't need to image the data files.

That why I was thinking if I partition OS just to 100 GB then leave the rest for data ?

Drive/SSD is 512 GB.

No they do not have a lot of data.

My only worry is 100 GB enough for Windows 11 Home as time goes on ?

ChristianMorris

Dec 4, 2022
It is generally recommended to partition an SSD, as it can help with organization and data recovery in case of issues with the operating system. A partition for the operating system of around 100 GB should be sufficient for Windows 11 Home, as long as you do not have a lot of large programs or games installed. The rest of the SSD can be used for data storage. If you plan on imaging the operating system regularly, the partition size may not be as important. Keep in mind that as the time goes on and you install more programs, you may need to resize the partition accordingly.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I'd just make 2 partitions with the C: OS partition around 150GB.

Imaging it every day seems a bit excessive for most common laptop uses. Maybe near that makes sense in the beginning of setting everything up, but after that point, weeks to a month or so has been plenty for me, with user generated data backed up more frequently than that.

ASK THE COMMUNITY