• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

One+ phones

Feb 4, 2009
Thoughts? Should I be concerned about Chinese spyware?
I know all mobile devices spy on you to a certain extent.
I typically am more comfortable with Samsung or Apple because they have skin in the game vs a nameless or low revenue Chinese company who won’t face any penalty mishandling my data.
I am cheap and typically buy refurb iPhones. Sadly there aren’t many 5G refurb options.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Thoughts? Should I be concerned about Chinese spyware?
I know all mobile devices spy on you to a certain extent.
I typically am more comfortable with Samsung or Apple because they have skin in the game vs a nameless or low revenue Chinese company who won’t face any penalty mishandling my data.
I am cheap and typically buy refurb iPhones. Sadly there aren’t many 5G refurb options.
I'm not sure how much of the Chinese phobia is real and how much is propaganda. But China is headed in the wrong direction lately.

Apple is good with privacy, the new Google pixels have a dedicated chip for security as well as now getting 5 years of security updates. You can read about how the new security measures in the new pixels make the phone one of the hardest to hack out there

Feb 4, 2009
I'm not sure how much of the Chinese phobia is real and how much is propaganda. But China is headed in the wrong direction lately.

Apple is good with privacy, the new Google pixels have a dedicated chip for security as well as now getting 5 years of security updates. You can read about how the new security measures in the new pixels make the phone one of the hardest to hack out there

great suggestion but no way I am going $700 for a phone. One+ has had some reported dialing back to China concerns but a recent audit found newer models "safe". I think One+ is off my list as of now.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Honestly security aside. I got a VZW OnePlus 8 5G, Software wise it was one of the worst experiences I have had on Android since my Droid X.

Don't know if it was just their default settings, Their launcher, or a series of other things. But it was primed to locking up if I wasn't constantly closing out programs manually. It took awhile to get Android auto working (after 5 minutes I couldnt run anything on the screen). Any time I did get it working it would start doing something else terribly.

The list would go on and none of it was stuff I couldn't fix if I spent the time on it. But it was always something acting terribly.

I'd stay away. Marginally good hardware. With a company that can optimize the software for their hardware.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat
Feb 4, 2009
Turns out I made an amateur mistake.
Freezing, crashing and rapid battery drain appear to be solved by deleting an app that is no longer supported by 12.5.5 version of my OS.
This is good news because as I said now is not the right time to be buying a new device.

Reactions: Justinus

ASK THE COMMUNITY