One of the interesting things about taking a long drive....

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I spent almost 5 hours on the road and in many places the only talk radio I could get was Rush Limbaugh.
And he said something interesting about the Republicans who were now supporting Obama. This was on the day former Republican governer of Massachusettes William Weld endorsed Obama.
I don't know where to get a free transcript of his show, so I will paraphrase:

"Good riddance. The myth of the Republican party 'big tent' is over. Its just a cover for abortionists. Now that they are out of the Republican party we should never let them back in. We need a new pure Republican party where everyone believes in the same things. The 'big tent' Republicans moved the party to the center and now that they have us here, they deserted us. Good riddance"

On Sarah Palin a caller asked if she would be the new head of the Republican party. Rush said he hopes she is but Palin has made it plain she won't have anything to do with a Republican party that allows any 'big tent' or moderate Republicans in it.

Rush:

"My friends, we need an ideologically pure Republican party that is so far conservative its unacceptable to anyone who has any idea that their wishy washy moderate viewpoints will have any influence"

The battle for the Repubican party begins.
And Field Marshal (or is it Marshall Fields?) Sarah Palin is in charge.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
That's fine. The more insane they get, the more they push moderates away and the more of the country's political direction they will give up.

Seems like Rush hasn't read about sour grapes.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Skoorb
That's fine. The more insane they get, the more they push moderates away and the more of the country's political direction they will give up.

Seems like Rush hasn't read about sour grapes.

^^ Exactly - all these crazy people coming out of the woodwork is undermining the Republican party members that are closer to the middle than the far right. Kicking out the people that are closer to the middle is only going to alienate voters and decrease their power. Rush as usual is being a tool and making himself wealthier while breaking apart the Republican party at the same time by alienating potential future Republican voters.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Actual transcript and audio from Rush's site

The Republican party is imploding. I was joking when I said about a month ago that this election has become the Butterbeans vs. The Rest of Us. Now I'm not, and Rush just confirmed it.

edit: Reading the rest of the transcript, I was reminded of the line from the Simpsons movie, "Sir, I'm afraid you've gone mad with power." :p

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
I recommend listening to a Teaching Company lecture on Ancient civilizations for long trips.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
I recommend listening to a Teaching Company lecture on Ancient civilizations for long trips.
Are you comparing Rush Limbaugh's thinking to that of Ancient civilizations?:D

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The Republicans have never been a majority party, and never will be if they run too far to the right. As it is, the GOP has found it can win by attracting moderate independents, right wing democrats, and using scare and fear tactics to peel off a few key interests groups. Sadly, the GOP has found its ideology, which benefits only the few, can't deliver national prosperity, and hence is not self sustaining. But Reagan has shown, spend and borrow works better, it can at least last maybe eight years before the stupid policy fails.

As usual, Limbaugh is full of it, if the GOP can't attract moderates, Independents, and moderate democrats during a time of prosperity, they cannot put together enough votes to win POTUS.

But out of control spend and borrow always fails after eight years, and this time its failed before the eight years is up. And now it does not matter what the GOP does, they have failed and must pay the price on 11/4/2008.

The last time the GOP failed as badly, the dems subsequently controlled the house for 62 unbroken years. And POTUS for 30 of the next 36 years. 2009 is going to be a rebuilding year for the GOP, if they take
the Limbaugh path and advice, they will fail for a very long time. And as we learn more about the policies of GWB&co after he leaves office, his 26% approval record is going to look much better.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Finishing the end of the transcript reminds me of why I despise Limbaugh and his moronic propaganda so much. After his long rant in favor of party and idological collectivism, of "good riddance" to everyone who doesn't think just like us and believe exactly the same things we do, and of wrapping up the entire party ideology around the pro-life position on the issue of abortion, he has the gall to finish up with flowery bullshit about conservatism being all about individual liberty and compassion (plus a straw man that liberalism only wants to welfare state).
I want to know, who the fuck is stupid enough to believe that kind of doublethink?
Seriously, his entire bit there was that Republicans need to toe the collective ideological line or be cast out, good riddance, and yet he wants people to think that he's an individualist, and that this collectivist philosophy he's pushing is somehow an individualist philosophy? He tells the libertarians to get out and stay out and yet wants us to believe that conservatism is a philosophy of liberty? WTF.
Ayn Rand and Buckley are spinning in their graves so fast right now as to screw with the earth's rotation.

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
What Rush says is true. Libs keep saying "conservatism" is dead when the only thing dead has been the Republican commitment to it. Bush Sr brought Clinton to power when he kicked Conservatives to the curb with his "no new taxes" charade and the Ross Perot movement sucked off enough votes to let Bubba in White House. Bush Jr likewise was not a conservative on a great many things including the borders and the execution of the war. A reason his poll numbers are so low is that even many people who voted for him realize he has been terrible. These same people know McCain is a boob (still better than a Marxist weirdo though). The one good thing about BO and libs is that many of the people voting for them are not voting for who they really are but who they think they are because of media and feckless McCain campaign. The reality of what they have done is going to become apparent very quick. As Bush impaled the Republican party Obama would impale the Democrats - and the nation itself. People think they are voting for Joe Mild Ivy Leaguer with toothy grin and glib manner. When they realize he really is a cultural Marxist who is going to turn on the people by degrees the backlash will begin in earnest and its going to be bad. A new political center that actually reflects the real America is at hand. Of course I dont expect many in this forum to be able to see that. Republicans never carried more conservatives sorts (those in Dem party as well)- its been the other way around. Rush sees that will stop

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Butterbean
What Rush says is true. Libs keep saying "conservatism" is dead when the only thing dead has been the Republican commitment to it. Bush Sr brought Clinton to power when he kicked Conservatives to the curb with his "no new taxes" charade and the Ross Perot movement sucked off enough votes to let Bubba in White House. Bush Jr likewise was not a conservative on a great many things including the borders and the execution of the war. A reason his poll numbers are so low is that even many people who voted for him realize he has been terrible. These same people know McCain is a boob (still better than a Marxist weirdo though). The one good thing about BO and libs is that many of the people voting for them are not voting for who they really are but who they think they are because of media and feckless McCain campaign. The reality of what they have done is going to become apparent very quick. As Bush impaled the Republican party Obama would impale the Democrats - and the nation itself. People think they are voting for Joe Mild Ivy Leaguer with toothy grin and glib manner. When they realize he really is a cultural Marxist who is going to turn on the people by degrees the backlash will begin in earnest and its going to be bad. A new political center that actually reflects the real America is at hand. Of course I dont expect many in this forum to be able to see that.

"the real America" - what the f*ck is that supposed to mean? What the rest of America is fake? That's not how this country works, Butterbean.

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Juddog
What Rush says is true. Libs keep saying "conservatism" is dead when the only thing dead has been the Republican commitment to it. Bush Sr brought Clinton to power when he kicked Conservatives to the curb with his "no new taxes" charade and the Ross Perot movement sucked off enough votes to let Bubba in White House. Bush Jr likewise was not a conservative on a great many things including the borders and the execution of the war. A reason his poll numbers are so low is that even many people who voted for him realize he has been terrible. These same people know McCain is a boob (still better than a Marxist weirdo though). The one good thing about BO and libs is that many of the people voting for them are not voting for who they really are but who they think they are because of media and feckless McCain campaign. The reality of what they have done is going to become apparent very quick. As Bush impaled the Republican party Obama would impale the Democrats - and the nation itself. People think they are voting for Joe Mild Ivy Leaguer with toothy grin and glib manner. When they realize he really is a cultural Marxist who is going to turn on the people by degrees the backlash will begin in earnest and its going to be bad. A new political center that actually reflects the real America is at hand. Of course I dont expect many in this forum to be able to see that.

"the real America" - what the f*ck is that supposed to mean?

Told you you wouldn't get it.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I think this might be a good thing. I know many conservatives that just don't identify with the Republican Party any more. They are getting pushed off to the middle and where do they have to go from there... the Democratic Party? Perhaps this is an opportunity to have a viable 3rd party that can compete with the big R's & D's.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006

I don't get it because it's utter bullsh!t. America is America, there is no "real America" and "fake America". That's some utter garbage right there, you sound even more idiotic than usual saying that.

microbial

Oct 10, 2008
Originally posted by: techs
Originally posted by: microbial
Can someone remind me, do I put on my swastika armband on my right arm or my left arm?

Both, you commie pinko!

Ha-ha Thanks.

Now I can complete my pure republican Sarah Palin halloween costume.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Vic
I want to know, who the fuck is stupid enough to believe that kind of doublethink?
All else aside, this is as worrisome as the global fundie problem. Hopefully, there are real scientific studies being conducted on this and what has created the sponge that absorbs hate like this. It's like heroin to some.

The rest of limbaugh is subterfuge which will just cause your brain to spin wildly trying to figure it out.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Oh no, we get it alright. It's you who doesn't get it.
By going hard right paleoconservative/religious fundamentalist at this time, you are betting the GOP's entire future on circumstances outside your control, namely that the Dems will go hard left. If the Dems don't, and stay to the center, and the GOP follows Rush down this path to the far right, there's a good possibility that the Dems could stay in power for decades (which I don't want BTW, as I'm firmly opposed to the idea of 1-party state).
Worse for you still is that even if you're right and the Dems do go hard left, by kicking out all (or most of) the moderates, independents, and minorities from the party and enforcing a strict ideological standard, the GOP will only ensure the rise of a viable centrist party that much sooner, possibly even for President by 2016, while the Pubs could fall to become a 3rd-party.
Meh. These are interesting times. Either way, you're fucked by your ideological blindness. Like any drug addict, you assume all the cool people are drug addicts too. And just like them, you're wrong.

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006

I don't get it because it's utter bullsh!t. America is America, there is no "real America" and "fake America". That's some utter garbage right there, you sound even more idiotic than usual saying that.

Of course there is a real America. Over two thirds wanted the borders closed for years and neither party would address it until they sensed a revolt and even then they merely coasted. Most people do not want high taxes, mutational marriage forced by judges who override their votes to keep marriage between men and women (adopted by a vote of 61.4% to 38% in Prop 22 in 2000). On a great many issues there is large majority of people of all persuasions always getting a stick in their eye from the politcal parties. That group makes up the real America. Bush taught a lot of his voters that he thinks they are bugs. Obama will do the same for his voters in even more radical fashion

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
What Rush says is true. Libs keep saying "conservatism" is dead when the only thing dead has been the Republican commitment to it. Bush Sr brought Clinton to power when he kicked Conservatives to the curb with his "no new taxes" charade and the Ross Perot movement sucked off enough votes to let Bubba in White House. Bush Jr likewise was not a conservative on a great many things including the borders and the execution of the war. A reason his poll numbers are so low is that even many people who voted for him realize he has been terrible. These same people know McCain is a boob (still better than a Marxist weirdo though). The one good thing about BO and libs is that many of the people voting for them are not voting for who they really are but who they think they are because of media and feckless McCain campaign. The reality of what they have done is going to become apparent very quick. As Bush impaled the Republican party Obama would impale the Democrats - and the nation itself. People think they are voting for Joe Mild Ivy Leaguer with toothy grin and glib manner. When they realize he really is a cultural Marxist who is going to turn on the people by degrees the backlash will begin in earnest and its going to be bad. A new political center that actually reflects the real America is at hand. Of course I dont expect many in this forum to be able to see that. Republicans never carried more conservatives sorts (those in Dem party as well)- its been the other way around. Rush sees that will stop

There is a new political center that reflects the "real America"...that's why Democrats have taken the house and the senate and look poised to increase their leads in both places as well as capture the Presidency.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic
Finishing the end of the transcript reminds me of why I despise Limbaugh and his moronic propaganda so much. After his long rant in favor of party and idological collectivism, of "good riddance" to everyone who doesn't think just like us and believe exactly the same things we do, and of wrapping up the entire party ideology around the pro-life position on the issue of abortion, he has the gall to finish up with flowery bullshit about conservatism being all about individual liberty and compassion (plus a straw man that liberalism only wants to welfare state).
Seriously, his entire bit there was that Republicans need to toe the collective ideological line or be cast out, good riddance, and yet he wants people to think that he's an individualist, and that this collectivist philosophy he's pushing is somehow an individualist philosophy? He tells the libertarians to get out and stay out and yet wants us to believe that conservatism is a philosophy of liberty? WTF.
Ayn Rand and Buckley are spinning in their graves so fast right now as to screw with the earth's rotation.

:beer:

I love it when people attack me for supporting Obama with "baby killer" and "sodomizer." WTF? Stop shoving shit down people's throats, let gays be gay where they want, let "whores" "kill their babies", and focus on ISSUES THAT AFFECT OUR DAILY LIVES. When our economy is not in the shitter, and we're not fighting a war we don't need to, maybe then we should all whine about our viewpoints on OTHER people's lives (for the record, I'm pro-life with a few exceptions, like rape, and any potential PHYSICAL, permanent harm to the MOTHER [no, a stretched vajayjay does not count, I'm talking rare serious medical complications], and don't care about gay marriages); both issues are so irrelevant to my daily life that I wouldn't consider them over more important things like foreign policy and economic reform...

No, I don't fucking get it. Hello Mr. McCarthy...

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Limbaugh's a bloated, drugged out gas bag, and this isn't his first venture into hypocritical self-contradition. In his broadcast on November 8, 2006, following the Republican route in the last election, he said:

I feel liberated, and I'm just going to tell you as plainly as I can why. I no longer am going to have to carry the water for people who I don't think deserve having their water carried. Now, you might say, "Well, why have you been doing it?" Because the stakes are high. Even though the Republican Party let us down, to me they represent a far better future for my beliefs and therefore the country's than the Democrat [sic] Party does and liberalism.

Limbaugh will never change. He's already sold out his humanity. His hate filled, bigoted idiocy is the only thing he has left to sell. :roll:

Originally posted by: Stoneburner

Even better, get the recording of Michael Jackson (the talk show personality, not THAT Michael Jackson) reading Stephen W. Hawking's "A Brief History Of Time." It's brain food for an intellectual gourmand. :thumbsup: :cool:

Of course there is a real America.
Most people do not want high taxes, mutational marriage forced by judges who override their votes to keep marriage between men and women...

Of course there's a real America. It's a place you have yet to discover, and if you ever do, you'll find that most "real" Americans reject brainless, bigoted turds like you. :thumbsdown: :|

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Go ahead Butterbean, run for President in 2012, I will concede you might get your own vote, but past that, you getting more than one vote might be a stretch. But if you want to assert you are the real America, then by all means, put it to the acid test!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Of course there is a real America. Over two thirds wanted the borders closed for years and neither party would address it until they sensed a revolt and even then they merely coasted. Most people do not want high taxes, mutational marriage forced by judges who override their votes to keep marriage between men and women (adopted by a vote of 61.4% to 38% in Prop 22 in 2000). On a great many issues there is large majority of people of all persuasions always getting a stick in their eye from the politcal parties. That group makes up the real America. Bush taught a lot of his voters that he thinks they are bugs. Obama will do the same for his voters in even more radical fashion

Right-wing populist parties come and go every few elections, but never win them. The fallacy in your thinking is that you are taking a presumed majority from several different issues and assuming that it is always the same majority on all of them, a single group, when it's not. It's many different majorities with a relatively small convergence/overlap.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

You and Rush think alike? Shocking. I don't know which is a bigger insult.

The sad thing is Rush Slimeball has a national show to spew his divisive hate. I've tried to listen to his show and I just can't. The sheer arrogance and ignorance is impossible to cope with while driving. All I can say in response is I'm fucking proud to have left *your* party Rush. AMF!