One More: How do you rip out carpet?

chipy

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
OK, i'm still going strong with these questions and youz guyz are doing awesome so here's one more:

how do you all rip out carpeting? i know i have to get a utility knife with spare blades... but do you cut your carpeting into small pieces?

i'm not suppose to be able to remove carpet without the blade right? i mean, i can't just take it by the edge (where it meets the wall) and yank it out? also, if i want to try and resell it at deeeeeeeeeep discount, should i cut it bigger? <-- i think that's an obvious yes. either that or have the people who want to buy it cut it out.

either way, any techniques would be greatly appreciated. i'm also looked on youtube but only a couple of amateur vids without any real insightful tips.

thanx ATOT!

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
You can just yank on the corner if the nail strips let it go. You can buy specific carpet cutting blades that are sharp as balls and will tear right through it.

I don't think you'll be able to sell it for shit tho.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Used a box cutting knife to cut strips of carpet for easy removal + a crow bar to rip the nail strips out of the cement

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
Usually you can pull it up from the nail strips with a decent pair of pliers. It's a great way to run cabling under the shoe molding. Those bitches are sharp as hell though so definitely be careful.

WA261

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
i do not know of anyone that would buy used carpet.

also, the tack board along the wall is going to be your main problem. No need to cut it up if you plan on selling it. Only reason you cut it up so you can toss the shit easier.

Last edited:

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Yeah don't try a resell it no one will buy it, trust me. Just use the utility blade and cut a long slide down the middle of the carpet. Then use your hands and have fun ripping. Rip and cut the carpet into manageable chunks. Not sure if you can recycle carpet, if you can't just throw it out. There will likely also be a layer of foam under the carpet that you will also want to remove / replace. Careful around the edges of the walls as the tack board is composed of lots of nails sticking up, eay to poke your fingers on those!

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Used a box cutting knife to cut strips of carpet for easy removal + a crow bar to rip the nail strips out of the cement

Uhh don't do the latter if you are going to replace with new carpet! Guess this is kind of obvious.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I had my whole house recarpeted a year ago. To save money, I pulled up the old stuff (6 different carpets installed over many different years by many different people). In all cases, I just grabbed and pulled. It came up quite easilly. A pair of pliers helped in the few places where it was stuck under objects (such as a door).

My carpet was so bad, that I didn't try to sell it. But my parents have always been able to sell their old carpets (I think they tend to get about $20 a room). A cheap landlord is always looking for a good deal. Heck, even if you don't get cash having someone haul it away for you is worth it.

If you don't sell it, cut it into 4-5 foot widths, roll it up, and tie it with twine. That way you can carry it easilly and that way your trash collector will actually take it. If you leave it in 10+ foot widths, many trash collectors will just leave it there at your house rotting. Call them for details to be sure.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
You're going to need a more heavy duty knife than a utility knife/box cutter. Also have a dust mask, some gloves and muscle.

If you are going to transport the old carpet, roll it with good side out. Otherwise the backside will quickly rub the paint off your car/truck.

Good luck selling it, you'd be doing good to be able to give it away versus having to pay to dump it.

daishi5

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2005
I have only ripped out my basement's carpeting, but it was glued to the cement floor. If your carpet is held down like that, they have a special tool for removing it, that makes the job so much easier. It is just a flat blade on the end of a long handle, but if the carpet or pad is glued down, get one.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Ech. I guess all I can say is who the hell buys used carpet? Slumlords was mentioned in this thread. Sounds cool.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
I used to do it as a helper - second job on weekends.

Gotta be strong, real strong guys can just rip that shit after starting a slice. You really do just pull it out.

We installed new tack on every job so crowbar/paint scraper to start, watch the nails.

do you cut your carpeting into small pieces?

I never had time for that. I'm a fat guy but not superman so I would cut into a couple manageable sections that rolled up, and i could usually do a bedroom into 2 equal bits to roll up and take out.

You're going to need a more heavy duty knife than a utility knife/box cutter. Also have a dust mask, some gloves and muscle

I would also suggest maybe an apron or something. You will get this crap everywhere. People (if the prior occupant wasn't you) do disgusting shit to carpet. Skin flakes, hair, koolaid, piss, dogshit, mold, rats, maggots, ants, strange larvae, eggs, have all been found tearing out carpet.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
You can just yank on the corner if the nail strips let it go. You can buy specific carpet cutting blades that are sharp as balls and will tear right through it.

You can pull from the corner if you're trying to preserve it, if not, get a blade and cut right down the middle. Properly installed carpet is tensioned with the tack strip maintaining that pressure. Cutting down the middle relieves this pressure and makes it easier to pull up from the tack strip.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Put some warm wax down. Press wax paper against it. Give it a few moments to bond then the big yank.

DayLaPaul

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
The utility blade will help you get started, but once you start ripping it up, you'll soon realize that there's not really much holding the carpet in place. Next room you'll be able to remove it without any tools if you wanted to.