Question One monitor out of 8 has a different Resolution

dan99t

Nov 29, 2011
Hello,

I got a brand new Dell Workstation 3660 with following specs.

i-7 12700
2 x NVIDIA T-600 Cards each runs 4 Monitors, so total 8 Monitors
Win-11 Pro
Three M.2 NVMe 512GB where Win-11 is on one of them
Three 4TB SATA 5400 rpm HDD
Eight 24 inch Monitors ( 1920 x 1200 ) Resolution

The strange thing is that one graphics card is installed on a Full length X16 PCIe slot but the second graphics card is installed on an X4 PCIe slot. ( Motherboard has One full length X16 slot & TWO X4 slots. What Dell did is that they installed the second card on an X4 slot with one end open )

Now the problem I have is that one monitor out of 4 on an X4 slot has a different resolution than rest of the 7 monitors.

So the question is :
(1) Is it a defective X4 slot ? ( 3 monitors out of 4 on this slot are working fine at a resolution of 1920x1200 )
(2) Could it be a defective graphics card ?
Or what else could be wrong ?

Thanks

Attachments

• Motherboard with Cards.png
    Motherboard with Cards.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • Motherboard.png
    Motherboard.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • Dell 3660 = with = Graphics Slots.png
    Dell 3660 = with = Graphics Slots.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
Don't think we got very far with your last thread and this may have been there, but known good monitors which works at the full resolution in the other otuputs, do not work in that output using a known good cable?

Just trying to be sure of the basics.

And the GPU in the x16 slots is identical?
And don't necessarily take Dell word's for this: go to Device Manager and compare the Hardware IDs (Device Manager>Display Adapters>Properties>Details>Property dropdown = Hardware IDs).

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Was there a need for a third thread on this issue?

Your last thread HERE still had lots of unanswered questions. Not much point in us starting over.

dan99t

Nov 29, 2011
Don't think we got very far with your last thread and this may have been there, but known good monitors which works at the full resolution in the other otuputs, do not work in that output using a known good cable?
Yes, I have 12 identical monitors & cables & have tried more than two & it doesn;t help.
And the GPU in the x16 slots is identical?
Yes. And no, I know Dell very well by now.

dan99t

Nov 29, 2011
Was there a need for a third thread on this issue?

Your last thread HERE still had lots of unanswered questions. Not much point in us starting over.
Yes, there are good reasons & I will surely get back to them. I had an emergency & had to take care of it so I am extremely sorry.

Correction : I went over it & I did answer most of them.

Last edited: