One guy hit up 171 Starbucks in one day

Xstatic1

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2006
Most people go to coffee shops to grab some quick caffeine and a snack, or relax and visit with friends, but one guy decided to give his Starbucks visits a time limit as he challenged himself to shop at every one of the Manhattan cappucino-selling shops in one day.

That's no small task -- these days it seems like you can't walk or drive five feet without passing a Starbucks, which are on corners, in strip malls, inside your local bookstore, you name it, they've got a Starbucks.

New York City is particularly notorious for its high concentration of Starbucks locations.

There are so many, in fact, that Mark Malkoff, a comedian/writer for "The Colbert Report" not to mention a curious New Yorker, set out to do the impossible -- visit each of the 171 Seattle-born coffee company's stores in Manhattan in a 24-hour period and consume at least one product (that's not including the other four boroughs' sites or the handful of private stores located in corporate buildings throughout the city).

"Everyone thought it couldn't be done," said Malkoff in an interview with ABC News. "My friends, my family, Starbucks employees said it couldn't be done."

He decided to give it a try at the end of June, but for months Malkoff, who admits he's not a coffee drinker, researched and planned the best route, tested out different modes of transportation, and built up his caffeine tolerance all in preparation for the big day.

"I did two months of research to pull this off. The whole thing was calculated with hours, when [the stores] open, when they close," he said.

That included purchasing a new mode of transportation for himself. "You see these bike messengers. They get around faster than cab drivers, any car, so it occurred to me that I would have to buy a bicycle and risk my life on a bicycle in New York City traffic," Malkoff said.

First Stop: 5:30 a.m.

On June 29, 2007, Malkoff, accompanied only by a friend with a video camera, began his challenge at 5:30 a.m. at the 181st and Washington Heights store in the northern end of Manhattan.

He purchased an espresso and then jumped on his bike and headed to the next location, with 170 Starbucks left for the day. Malkoff determined that he had to hit a different Starbucks every seven minutes for over 20 hours in order to complete his goal.

Full article & video clip: http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Story?id=3432255&page=1

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
he bought something at each one? Holy Crap, I hope he was sponsored, I couldn't imagine 171 of anything at Starbucks being cheap. Maybe I'll set out to visit ever In-N-Out in a single day that would own.

Xstatic1

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2006
Originally posted by: QueBert
he bought something at each one? Holy Crap, I hope he was sponsored, I couldn't imagine 171 of anything at Starbucks being cheap. Maybe I'll set out to visit ever In-N-Out in a single day that would own.

according to the article...he spent $369.14, including $80 for a slice of pound cake and six extra purchases.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Xstatic1
Originally posted by: QueBert

according to the article...he spent $369.14, including $80 for a slice of pound cake and six extra purchases.

$80 for a slice of pound cake?!?! I didnt know SB was that expensive!

I cant imagine the amount of caffeine he had in his body during this "stunt" Im no Dr, but wouldnt caffeine in that much quantity over such a short period cause some kind of overdose?

How did he drink hot coffee so fast? And how did he drink so much coffee without bursting? The human body can only process so much at once, he couldn't have kept peeing it out as fast as he was drinking it, could he?

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: akshatp

$80 for a slice of pound cake AND six extra purchases.

Jun 27, 2005
That's kind of crazy. But I guess it's one of those things you do to say you did it.

I ran around outside naked at -72. Stupid. But I can say I did it. ;)

Greyd

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Parasitic
Originally posted by: akshatp

$80 for a slice of pound cake AND six extra purchases.

Actually if you read the article, it WAS $80 for a slice of poundcake. I think the store was closing so he had to bargain with the employees to buy something. They jacked the price up which he was reimbursed for later.