One dirtbag politician exposed by their own stupidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekasa

Mar 25, 2010
The worst part is there have likely been hundreds of calls just like this one, by all members of Congress and all challengers.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Love ya, Sawyer - but a story from a Brietbart site tends to make me wonder about the truth in it...........

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Having read the article and listened, the congresswoman is likely within the letter of the law, as she never explicitly suggested a quid pro quo. However, this sort of thing is an object lesson in how to violate the spirit of a law without violating the letter of it, and it is undoutedly how this plays out time and time again in our system.

- wolf

Aug 23, 2000
Having read the article and listened, the congresswoman is likely within the letter of the law, as she never explicitly suggested a quid pro quo. However, this sort of thing is an object lesson in how to violate the spirit of a law without violating the letter of it, and it is undoutedly how this plays out time and time again in our system.

- wolf

If she was a White Republican, the liberals would be coming out of the wood work to crucify her.

PeshakJang

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2010
Love ya, Sawyer - but a story from a
Brietbart site tends to make me wonder about the truth in it...........

So just listen to the audio. I can't imagine any context under which it would be a different situation than the most obvious.

Most ethical, most transparent, EVAR!

Honest-Leadership-BHO-Reid-Pelosi.jpg

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Before the usual partisan finger pointing/apologizing and bu bu buts start, don't even. This time is was a D but this surely isn't exclusive to one party. *Snip*

*Ignored*

What else can you expect from donkey riding, kool-aid drinking, elitist, hate mongering, racist, out of touch Democrats.

/partisan_bickering

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Love ya, Sawyer - but a story from a Brietbart site tends to make me wonder about the truth in it...........

Ah ok, it's from HIM. Well I will just assume it is faked in some manner.

At least she admitted it..

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/42287.html

“The conservative blogger, Andrew Breitbart, best known for his misinformation concerning Shirley Sherrod, is trying to mislead again. He is circulating a voice mail of a standard request made by candidates to potential donors who do not know the candidates or their work. Norton, therefore, identified herself as a subcommittee chair and the kind of work she has done in subcommittee. Norton is a longtime supporter of public financing of campaigns, but barring that, candidates from all parties regularly raise funds in calls by first identifying who they are and what they have done. The call was made from campaign headquarters. Her request fully complied with legal and ethical requirements.”

Unfortunately she was wrong at that last part.

Last edited:

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

- wolf

From the White House Ethics manual...

p. 147: “[N]o solicitation of a campaign or political contribution may be linked to an action taken or to be taken by a Member … in his or her official capacity. … The Standards Committee has long advised Members … that they should always exercise caution to avoid even the appearance that solicitations of campaign contributions are connected in any way with an action taken or to be taken in their official capacity. … [A] Member should not sponsor or participate in any solicitation that offers donors any special access to the Member in the Member’s official capacity.”

"This is, uh, Eleanor Norton, Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton. Uh, I noticed that you have given to uh, other colleagues on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. I am a, um, Senior Member, a twenty year veteran and am Chair of the Sub-committee on Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management. I’m handling the largest economic development project in the United States now, the Homeland Security Compound of three buildings being built on the uh, old St. Elizabeth’s hospital site in the District of Columbia along with uh, fifteen other, uh, sites here for, that are part of the stimulus .

I was, frankly, uh, uh, surprised to see that we don’t have a record, so far as I can tell, of your having given to me despite my uh, long and deep uh, work. In fact, it’s been my major work, uh, on the committee and sub-committee it’s been essentially in your sector.

I am, I’m simply candidly calling to ask for a contribution. As the senior member of the um, committee and a sub-committee chair, we have (chuckles) obligations to raise, uh funds. And, I think it must have been me who hasn’t, frankly, uh, done my homework to ask for a contribution earlier. So I’m trying to make up for it by asking for one now, when we particularly, uh, need, uh contributions, particularly those of us who have the seniority and chairmanships and are in a position to raise the funds.." - Holmes Norton

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
The worst part is there have likely been hundreds of calls just like this one, by all members of Congress and all challengers.

This. The only shocking part is that there's little that's actually shocking here.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006

- wolf

What's so wrong with expecting better?

Status
Not open for further replies.