One Core Runs Hotter

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by napes22, Apr 19, 2007.

1. napes22

napes22 Senior member

I recently went into my computer, and manged some cables, as well as re-applied arctic silver on my processer. Upon boot, I noticed that Core 1 was running 5-10 degrees hotter than Core 2. I am not sure if this is normally the case, but I have never noticed it before. Is this normal? Should I re-seat the chip?

Idle:
    Core 1 - 34
    Core 2 - 27

Load:
    Core 1 - 45
    Core 2 - 40

Thanks

2. geokilla

geokilla Golden Member

I got the same situation with my X-2 3800+. My temps are different from each other by as much as 10C during idle and 5C during load. My max idle temp was 38C according to CoreTemp. I read from somewhere before that CoreTemp readings can be off by as much as 15C when reading temps on AMD processors.

3. napes22

napes22 Senior member

I was also using CoreTemp to read my X-2 4200+. The odd thing is that prior to me fiddling around in the case and re-seating the processor, I was pretty sure that CoreTemp gave me closer readings.

4. Ava1anche

Ava1anche Member

Core 1 will aways run hotter than core 2. Core one is run the OS background programs. You are normal.

5. fluffmonster

fluffmonster Senior member

I get diffs of 4C at idle (32 vs. 36) which could be the background programs running on one core, but I get diffs of 8C or so under Orthos (45 vs. 53) in which case it is not a load differential.

Makes me wonder if I got the heatsink seated right.

AC Pro 64 on an X2 4400+

6. Yellowbeard

Yellowbeard Golden Member

You could run Orthos Prime and stress both cores 100% and see if that temperature gap closes.

7. napes22

napes22 Senior member

Would that really work? If anything, I feel like the gap would close in the way we wouldn't want (the lower temperature core being regularly hotter). Also, could that damage your system? I only have a stock heatsink.

8. elcamino74ss

elcamino74ss Senior member

I just put my x2 3600 toghther last night and coretemp is reporting 17 and 7 idle for me. Set up is in a P180 case and I'm using the NE $10 Arctic Cooling cooler. Board is a Gigabyte Nforce4 SLI AM@ board.

9. AnotherGuy

AnotherGuy Senior member

Those temps are pretty cool... thats exactly pretty much the same temps under load and idle... for my single core amd3000+ oced to 2.4 since day 1... that is 2.5 years ago... but with a Thermalright XP-90 HSF.
    U should have no problem from those temps... but the temp difference i donno anythin about that.