Once more into the breach, Lenovo PX12-450 NAS $250 shipped

BenJeremy

Oct 31, 2004
I wish I could recall if there was a practical limit for volume size on the 64-bit systems (PX)... there was a hard 16TB limit on capacity for 32-bit (IX) boxes (16TB usable Volume size, but you could have 32TB of drives, ie. 4x8TB, in the unit if it was a mirror array), but I don't think there is any reason you couldn't load up this PX12 with 14TB drives, if you have that kind of money. I'm hard-pressed to get one, as much as I'd like to, because I'd still have to stock the HDDs to fill it. I like my IX4 and PX4 boxes, though.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Price of the box was the only thing holding me back, mostly due to no rush, and the almost certainty there would eventually be a big drop like now.

I still want to try some form of Linux, and I put both of my PX4 immediately into service and could not find another to play Linux with. Now I should have time waiting on drives to buy to try things with the PX12.

The PX12 is a very nice box, dual ps, open pci slot, built for a price range I normally would not consider.

Raid6 seems so much like exactly what I want, say 8x 6TB or 8TB drives, plenty of storage with the ability to recover from the loss of two drives.