Once again, proof that I am Even Steven

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I've had this kind of luck for a while, and it's amazing to me (and others that witness it):

Tuesday, I discover an automated payment I forgot about was about to go through would overdraw my checking account by $1.93. I had no cash on me to deposit before 1pm (when my bank processes these payments). At 12pm, I got a rebate check in the mail from 8 months ago for $60. Deposited.

Wednesday, my wife took my debit card to go deposit some money from her account into mine. She forgot to put my card back in my wallet, so I had no way to pay for lunch. I walked into work and a vendor had a catered lunch ready for us.

Thursday, my wife says "I'd really like a sewing machine for Christmas, but the one I want is way too much money." We're by no means strapped for cash, but she has a problem receiving gifts that cost over $100 for some reason (I think it's because she grew up poor). On that day, I got a huge unexpected bonus check at work (first one in 3 years), and my boss gave me a $50 Best Buy gift card, which = suprise sewing machine for the wife :)

Today, I accidentally took my wife's keys to work instead of mine. Without my keys, I can't get into a lot of secure areas at work. When I walked in, our Controller comes up and says "We're issuing new keys because some of the old locks were getting worn."

See---no matter what happens to me, it evens out! Been like this since I was a kid :)

EDIT: Yesterday (12/26) I got short changed $5 at a gas station after buying my daughter a coffee. Today, I only had $1 cash on me, so I went to Burger King for a double cheeseburger and a water. They hand me my bag at the drive though and it had a Whopper, a chili, fries, and my drink was a lemonade. EVEN STEVEN!!!!

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Although similar coincidences happen to me, I generally only ruminate on the negative coincidences where I felt slighted.

I would say your perception of karmic balance is more a function of an internal attitude than actual events.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: yllus
You have cancer.

LOL?

I have the opposite luck I think.

When things go bad, they tend to get worse and worse throughout the day.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: djheater
Although similar coincidences happen to me, I generally only ruminate on the negative coincidences where I felt slighted.

I would say your perception of karmic balance is more a function of an internal attitude than actual events.

That might be it. I'm Catholic, but I do believe in Karma (because it just makes sense). I'm as helpful and giving to other people as I can possibly be (even though it causes undo stress sometimes), and in return good things always seem to happen to me. Even when really bad things happen, something really awesome happens to balance it out.

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
Maybe you are just using up all the luck you were allotted for life in a shorter span of time. Brace yourself for a bad luck backlash.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Yeah great, thanks. Now that asteroid that has a 1-in-75 chance of hitting Mars now will have a 1-in-1 chance of hitting Earth. But don't worry, it'll probably kill every last person on Earth except for you.
;)

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
It's like Unbreakable, except with luck instead. You're a superhero Fritzo and you don't even know it!

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: leftyman
I would buy some lotto scratch off tickets today, if I were you.

He should take it a step further. Buy the ticket, then go out and spend a boatload of cash to ensure the ticket pays off. Even Steven babeeeee!

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: SearchMaster

He should take it a step further. Buy the ticket, then go out and spend a boatload of cash to ensure the ticket pays off. Even Steven babeeeee!

I was about to respond saying he would probably just break even, until I read your reply. :laugh:

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Fritzo
I've had this kind of luck for a while, and it's amazing to me (and others that witness it):

Tuesday, I discover an automated payment I forgot about was about to go through would overdraw my checking account by $1.93. I had no cash on me to deposit before 1pm (when my bank processes these payments). At 12pm, I got a rebate check in the mail from 8 months ago for $60. Deposited.

Which bank do you use that processes deposits before withdrawls? (You don't specify, I suppose the auto payment and desposit could be on different days)

Mine, without fail, will process every transaction that takes money from your account before any that puts money in no matter what time the transactions took place. I've been burned by this on several occaisions.

I will be in the market for a new bank soon.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: KLin
Originally posted by: SearchMaster

I was about to respond saying he would probably just break even, until I read your reply. :laugh:

Yeah, exactly...I can't ever profit from this power, just come out even.

I'm going to throw $20 out the window later to see if I get it back.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: theknight571
Originally posted by: Fritzo

Which bank do you use that processes deposits before withdrawls? (You don't specify, I suppose the auto payment and desposit could be on different days)

Mine, without fail, will process every transaction that takes money from your account before any that puts money in no matter what time the transactions took place. I've been burned by this on several occaisions.

I will be in the market for a new bank soon.

Huntington. They show pending charges on your account through your Visa debit card, but deposts will show up if made before 1pm.