Once again I buy a Shuttle SFF.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856101098

Shuttle SH55-J2-BK-V1 Intel Core i7 / i5 / i3 / Pentium (LGA1156) 95w max. Support Intel Socket H(LGA1156) Intel H55 1 x HDMI Barebone

So, with the great success of my previous Shuttle builds I decided to upgrade to this one.
Seems like 169 with free shipping is a pretty awesome price.
Only possible drawback is it maxes out at 95 watt processors. However, a quick search of Newegg doesn't even show any socket 1156 processors above 95 watts anymore.

And it has the ICE cooler built in!

Ok, I admit it. I'm a Shuttle Fanboi.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
I have always been a fan of the shuttle line since the AMD Athlon days. Too bad they didn't have any decent S775 options out when I started upgrading or I would have kept going with their XPC line.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I have always been a fan of the shuttle line since the AMD Athlon days. Too bad they didn't have any decent S775 options out when I started upgrading or I would have kept going with their XPC line.

I'm actually replacing a Shuttle SG33G5B which did use S775. It gave my sister good service with Vista for about 3.5 years.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
A case + mobo + PSU in a small little package for just $170? That's pretty appealing.

But can it run Crys....I mean overclock?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
A case + mobo + PSU in a small little package for just $170? That's pretty appealing.

But can it run Crys....I mean overclock?
Nah. Not designed for oc'ing. Though I haven't received it yet. It may be possible in the bios, but the cpu cooler called ICE is probably not going to allow much oc'ing at all.

but yeah, 170 with free shipping is a really great price for the whole deal. plus you don't need, nor can you use, the cpu fan that comes with the cpu. So you can order the oem cpu if you want.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I'm happy with my Shuttle SX35 (Atom D510 + Ion, fanless) so far except the WD Blue 500 GB drive has an annoyingly loud park / unpark sound.

Fitting a 1,000+ CD music jukebox and Napster streaming player into the size of a thin hardcover book is pretty amazing,

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
I'm actually replacing a Shuttle SG33G5B which did use S775. It gave my sister good service with Vista for about 3.5 years.

I know they had S775 options, but my first few were riddled with problems and one was even DOA. After battling with them I just went to a quad core on an mATX board and walked away from the XPC's.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

I know they had S775 options, but my first few were riddled with problems and one was even DOA. After battling with them I just went to a quad core on an mATX board and walked away from the XPC's.

I see.
I wasn't aware of the problems, however I always wait until the chipset and Shuttle model have both been out for awhile before I buy. Actually, the Shuttle SG33G5B I'm replacing does have a problem, it will just lock up about twice a week and a reboot fixes it. I changed the memory, hard drive and did a reinstall and that didn't fix the problem. After I replace it with the new build I will do some serious diags on the the SG33G5B. I think it likely that running it for like 3 years in a dust rich environement and never cleaning it out caused some damage. It was amazing it was running at all since the heat sink was 95 percent blocked. Possibly the Intel E8400 is damaged from running hot for years. Not Shuttles fault, user fault(me).

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Yeah, many of the S775 shuttles had issues. I think they just generated more heat than the original ICE could handle. Later models did much better, plus I think the PSU wasn't up to snuff at first. Later models may have been much better but I gave up by then.

Dice144

Oct 22, 2010
I made a Shuttle AMD box back in umm 2004. I really liked how quiet it was and the custom CPU heatsink it had.

Last time I talked to my ex the friend she gave it too was still using it.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I still have my 2003 Shuttle tolling along doing stupid little tasks for me. I was a fan of the SFF Shuttles, but not sure I am anymore now that I have more space, and not sure the price premium is worth it -at least for me anymore.

snedecor

Jul 28, 2001
I want this for HTPC, but a newegg comment says that it disables the PCIe slot (not a PCIe video adapter, but the entire slot) if you decide to use the internal intel processor-based video solution. I need the internal video as well as the PCIe for a dual tuner card.

The note on the shuttle web site warns about the other way: If you use a PCIe video card, the internal video will be disabled.

Any definitive knowledge one way or the other?

Thanks!

RyanGreener

Nov 9, 2009
Heh, I currently have a shuttle right now running the specs in my sig. It's pretty good, and everything runs at a fine temperature since I modded the case a bit. Hopefully the PSU/mobo don't fail, or I'm screwed since they're proprietary :(

jjmIII

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
I was first! Had an SV24 and SV25!

Now I like to build my own....have a SilverStone SG05, and an old Antec Aria.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I was first! Had an SV24 and SV25!

I still have one of my several SV24. It is dead with horribly burst capacitors. I think the socket 370 VIA C3 processor is still in there!

Anyone interested in a fixer upper?

tysjiang

Apr 2, 2007
Although I want to say I'm not a Shuttle fanboy, based off of my past purchases, one could say that I am. Every time I try to build a new system for families or friends, I end up with Shuttle. Their small size is really attractive to end users.

In fact, just a few months ago, I ended up building 4 systems for four different people all using the Shuttle SG41J1-PLUS (Shuttle didn't have SH55-J2-BK-V1 back then). Fast forward to present day, not one faulty system yet. The next cycle of upgrading will probably start in two or three more months, I'll probably look into the SH55-J2-BK-V1 then.

snedecor

Jul 28, 2001
Anybody used this for HTPC?

I'm still on the fence because I can't find out if a NewEgg review that stated that the bios disables the PCIe slot if the onboard graphics is used. I need the PCIe slot for a tuner.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I want this for HTPC, but a newegg comment says that it disables the PCIe slot (not a PCIe video adapter, but the entire slot) if you decide to use the internal intel processor-based video solution. I need the internal video as well as the PCIe for a dual tuner card.

The note on the shuttle web site warns about the other way: If you use a PCIe video card, the internal video will be disabled.

Any definitive knowledge one way or the other?

Thanks!

Anybody used this for HTPC?

I'm still on the fence because I can't find out if a NewEgg review that stated that the bios disables the PCIe slot if the onboard graphics is used. I need the PCIe slot for a tuner.

The Shuttle SH55-J2-BK-V1 arrived today. I still need a cpu and memory. However, if I get the chance I will see if the info you seek is in the manual.

snedecor

Jul 28, 2001
The Shuttle SH55-J2-BK-V1 arrived today. I still need a cpu and memory. However, if I get the chance I will see if the info you seek is in the manual.

Thanks, guys for the forum recommendation and the offer to search the manual... I should have looked online for the manual...

Update: nothing in the online BIOS or quick setup manual, which are all that are available from shuttle.com...

Last edited:

humpinate

Dec 6, 2010
Yeah, I luv me some SFF Shuttles...I have three, use them as library/storage machines
and they are rock-solid.
That said, I'll take the "horribly burst" one for $100 (shipping included). If that sounds right, let me know...

ITGEEKGRL77

Jan 29, 2004
I love shuttles! I have an XPC SB81P that the power supply went out,...looking to get rid of it as a fixer upper so I can grab another.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Hello humpinate, and welcome to Anandtech forums.

That said, I'll take the "horribly burst" one for $100 (shipping included). If that sounds right, let me know...

Let's take that discussion to private messages. Please PM me and we can work something out.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Question though, how much spare wattage and space do these guys have to fit a decent vid card in there?

I asked this in another thread (I will have to search it when I have the $$ to do something with it), but can these shuttle boxes hold a 2nd tier vid card (the $200-$300 price range), SSDD, HD, and Blue Ray?

The two considerations are obvious, power and room.

TIA!