Onboard audio or Sound card question

leary

Nov 19, 2009
Hi all and hope this is the appropriate section for this post.

I have a Abit AW9D-MAX (Intel i975-ICH7)specs here http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6953&page=2 and recently purchased a headset with mic (not a usb one) for my first attempt of online gaming. All other players say I'm inaudible with a lot of static. So I'm trying to eliminate the issues. I have checked the settings in windows XP (and the game) and I updated my mb drivers. So that leaves me with onboard audio or the need to get a sound card (or possiblely a better headset) btw music sounds great with the onboard. Any advice? Any gamers using onboard with their headsets with no issues? Appreciate any help and thanks in advance!

Abit AW9D-MAX (Intel i975-ICH7)
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU e6600 @ 2.4GHz Arctic Freezer pro 7
XFX GTX 260 896mb GDDR 3
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2gig) DDR2 6400 800 Mhz 4-4-3-5
Seagate NL35 Series 250 GB SATA Internal Hard Drive
ULTRA-QUIET PSU: SILENCER® 750 ATX
NEC NR-7900A CD-RW IDE Internal 24x10x40
Samsung 56X DVD Combo
Antec Nine Hundred Mid-tower

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Hello and welcome to AnandTech Forums. If your headset isn't USB, it should have two (2) cables that need to be hooked up to the back panel. As you can easily guess, one for 'out' and the other for 'in'. Usually pink colored port is 'in' and light green or black works for 'out', but double check with your motherboard's manual. It should have detailed configuration explained.

Once that's done, go to [Control Panel -> Sound] in Windows. You should see something like this:

Above screenshot was taken from my VM just to show you where to look. If you have installed control panel provided by the sound logic manufacturer, then you may alternatively look in there to make sure everything is hooked correctly.

KILLER_K

Jul 18, 2001
Some games have settings you can do in the console, so perhaps the game you are playing might help.

Could also be connection if it is wireless or improper rates, all kinds of things can cause the issue. Could just be a low quality mic or sound card.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
My take is it is mostly the microphone. Most computer microphones are basically junk.

Junk in = even more junk out.

Dont play games much online. Maybe get a microphone headset that is designed for skype or to be used as a phone. I have a fairly inexpensive motherboard branded as Intel brand. However it has integrated HD Audio and Video. I know the sound is good because when I watch HULU I can hear the sound quality.

When it comes to microphones I have seen a lot of low quality ones. Try making a recording and see how good it works. Sorry if this does not help much.

I have a Microsoft Life-Chat Headphone/microphone set and it seems to work pretty good. I have had it for a year and it has not fallen apart yet. A lot of stuff seems to just fall apart. It surprises me when something actually works and keeps working for a while.

MB: Intel DG35EC
CPU: Intel E7200
RAM: 2 Gigs
Video: HD Integrated
Audio: HD Integrated

Last edited: