On This Day in History - Canadian Flag

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Canada

Our new flag was unveiled on this day in 1965.

Through a period of study with political manoeuvring, the committee chose the current design, which was created by George Stanley and inspired by the flag of the Royal Military College of Canada in Kingston, Ontario. The design was approved unanimously by the committee on October 29, 1964, and later passed by a majority vote in the House of Commons on December 15, 1964. The Senate added its approval two days later.[12]

Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, proclaimed the new flag on January 28, 1965.[12] It was inaugurated on February 15 of the same year at an official ceremony held on Parliament Hill in Ottawa in the presence of Governor General Major-General Georges Vanier, the Prime Minister, the members of the Cabinet, and Canadian parliamentarians. The Canadian Red Ensign was lowered at the stroke of noon and the new Maple Leaf flag was raised. The crowd sang "O Canada" followed by "God Save the Queen".[26] Maurice Bourget, Speaker of the Senate, said "The flag is the symbol of the nation's unity, for it, beyond any doubt, represents all the citizens of Canada without distinction of race, language, belief, or opinion."[26] For the nation's centennial celebrations in 1967, the Canadian government used a flag bearing the Royal Arms of Canada (whose shield was used on the Red Ensign) on a red field.[27]

O Canada.....

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Canada... Canada...?? That's that uninhabited territory in the north, right? I suppose it's cool to have a flag like Antarctica, but really not much point.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
O Canada.....

Oh Canada, oh Canada, how lovely are your branches...
music.png

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
I hear they had all 8 guns and their 1 tank to solute that day

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
my dad is older than your flag, Canada... why must you always be so lame?

Feb 25, 2011
You aren't American. Obvious Canadian shill is obvious :^P

I regret to inform you that I am an American. I grew up in Michigan, however, which is why I speak fluent Canadian. It is an understandable mistake - happens all the time.

Have a pleasant evening.

Gintaras

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000
Canadians at least know how to play hockey...there would be no NHL, if not Canada...