sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
What's the point of starting an Investigation when you lose your position as an Investigator?

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
What's the point of starting an Investigation when you lose your position as an Investigator?
The expectation at the time this was requested was that Bharara was going to be in his position for likely the next four years because as President Elect, Trump had specifically personally asked Bharara to stay on. (With no indication this was merely asking him to stay on for perhaps a few months until a replacement was ready.)

Reactions: DarthKyrie

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
This huge effort at covering for Trump and his Russian ties along with the Repubs attempting to cover their magnanimous giveaway to the rich via ACA repeal/replace is going to get epic once the smoke clears and their agendas and motives are bared for all to see...well, except for those that have to wear blinders and ear plugs to you know, keep adoring Trump the way they do.

Bharara's firing is just another piece of the puzzle in Trump's and the GOP's efforts to hide what needs to be hidden until the damage they're causing to the working class is impossible to undo, or will take untold years to undo, all while they're immensely profiting from their handiwork.

So sad that the lessons the nation was supposed to have learned from the Bush/Cheney Grab For The Riches Campaign (while screwing the middle class and poor to do it) has been tossed by the wayside in exchange for grandiose false promises and comforting lies by the Scammer-in-Chief and his horde of Wall St. buddies that permeate his staff and cabinet.

Again I ask those voters from the Rust Belt who gave Trump his victory: Wut 'Da Fuq were you thinking?

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Who started an investigation? All I've read is some groups asked him to investigate. I can ask Kate Upton for a date, doesn't mean I'll get one....

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Russian ties. Indeed. Why haven't they found anything? Either Trump is really clever at hiding his tracks or there is nothing to see.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
All Obama appointees have to go. Trump doesn't need a DemocRat with that kind of power in NYC. Even though they have weakened their own party, it's great to see another knock down and weakening of the party. Next up let's get the corrupt Cuomo and De Blasio out.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Here's the real facts (as opposed to so-called alternative facts ie made up lies):

1)US Attorneys serve at the pleasure of the President. Traditionally a new President (when the political party changes) do ask for resignations and replace all, or nearly all US Attorneys. For example, Obama left only one GOP US Attorney on for Obama's entire eight years.

2) That said, generally incoming Presidents do the replacement in an orderly fashion, having most if not all current US Attorneys stay until the end of their four year term or until a replacement is nominated and confirmed by the Senate. Sessions said in his confirmation hearing testimony this was his intention, not the sort of mass firing/resignation he did last week-with no replacements even nominated, much less confirmed.

3) After the election Bharara had personal conversations with both Trump and Sessions and both expressly promised him he would not be replaced.

4) Baharara has a reputation on aggressively going after political corruption, no matter which party involved.

5) Trump Tower is within the jurisdiction where Bharara served.

6) According to Baharara, he refused to resign and was fired by Sessions yesterday.

My conclusions:

A) Typical bull in china shop behavior from Trump- having 46 nominees coming to the Senate at once-all of which will probably be nominated late and with inadequate vetting (witness General Flynn). Trump is probably going to nominate more than a fair number of hacks and wackos.

B) Odds are Trump was scared of Bharara coming after him.

C) On the positive side, Bharara is now available to serve as special prosecutor for whichever Trump scandal reaches that stage-but it is highly unlikely the GOP would consent to a real bulldog in that position.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Supposedly Prett loves to use social media like Trump, and he is known in Congress as a guy you don't want to to f*ck with.

I can't wait until he puts Trump in his place.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Russian ties. Indeed. Why haven't they found anything? Either Trump is really clever at hiding his tracks or there is nothing to see.

So in other words you think this administration is so incompetent that they may lose two cabinet level officials over nothing? Wow.

Investigations like this take a long time and we are only at the beginning. I know you WANT there to be nothing to see, but that doesn't change the fact that there's never been an administration so mired in corruption investigations so early and that's even with a friendly Congress. You should want to get to the bottom of this as much as anyone.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Now Democrats are threatening to pull support from the investigation.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/3...rom-russia-probe-if-its-not-done-legitimately

They're saying that it will just be a dog and pony show, etc., etc. That will sound plausible to many but my guess is that they fear where the investigation could lead. At the very least some reputations will be severely tarnished, worst case is that someone or some people are going to jail. Maybe somebody too high or formerly too high up the ladder to be besmirched.

Politics is the highest stakes CYA game in existence.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
That whole lotta nothing has already cost the jobs of a US attorney, director of National Intelligence and a recusal of the AG.

That whole lotta nothing caused Trump former campaign chief to lie about getting the GOP platform softened against Ukraine in favor of Russia.

That whole lotta nothing caused people to lie about having one-on-one meetings with Russian amb. Meeting, when these people do not represent the federal government. They felt compelled to sneak the amb in the back door during a time when everyone else was coming in the front. They didn't want that seen by the press.

That whole lotta nothing caused Trump to deny ever meeting Putin during the campaign when he had.

There is a lotta lying going on over "nothing"

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Now Democrats are threatening to pull support from the investigation.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/3...rom-russia-probe-if-its-not-done-legitimately

They're saying that it will just be a dog and pony show, etc., etc. That will sound plausible to many but my guess is that they fear where the investigation could lead. At the very least some reputations will be severely tarnished, worst case is that someone or some people are going to jail. Maybe somebody too high or formerly too high up the ladder to be besmirched.

Politics is the highest stakes CYA game in existence.

Yes, boomerang. I'm sure the reason the Democrats would pull out of an investigation of a republican administration is because they are afraid of Democrats going to jail.

Lol. It's always good to see what sort of things the stupid and gullible lunatic fringe like you are being fed. You really are the world's easiest mark and what is even funnier is that you appear to think you aren't dumb, everyone else is.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Dems will be able to judge based on witnesses called, rules of questioning, what will be public, the right to subpoena

It won't take long to figure out if the hearings are legitimate..

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
All Obama appointees have to go. Trump doesn't need a DemocRat with that kind of power in NYC. Even though they have weakened their own party, it's great to see another knock down and weakening of the party. Next up let's get the corrupt Cuomo and De Blasio out.

Wait, this guy and his like were the only ones who pursued corruption in NY. Cuomo is breathing a sigh of relief because someone stood up to the NY machine. Neither Reps nor Dem has done that and now one of the best we've had is gone but I bet someone who plays ball with corruption in NY will be appointed. "Doing business" as corruptly usual.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Wait, this guy and his like were the only ones who pursued corruption in NY. Cuomo is breathing a sigh of relief because someone stood up to the NY machine. Neither Reps nor Dem has done that and now one of the best we've had is gone but I bet someone who plays ball with corruption in NY will be appointed. "Doing business" as corruptly usual.

You have to remember he views democrats as the enemy sports team. If he is a democrat then he's evil. It is kind of funny that I would think if anything his dismissal will make prosecuting Cuomo harder, so the thing he is cheering hurts the other thing he wants.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Will be interesting to see what these newly fired US attorney's have to say or leak, now that they are out of the government ;)

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
A resignation and a recusal, and the investigation hasn't even kicked off yet.

Nothing to see here, move along.

The resignation was Flynn. The recusal was political BS.

Neither is evidence against Trump. There have been numerous ranking officials questioned about this and they all say they have found nothing.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
So in other words you think this administration is so incompetent that they may lose two cabinet level officials over nothing? Wow.

Investigations like this take a long time and we are only at the beginning. I know you WANT there to be nothing to see, but that doesn't change the fact that there's never been an administration so mired in corruption investigations so early and that's even with a friendly Congress. You should want to get to the bottom of this as much as anyone.

I didn't say that I didn't want the truth. Wanting the truth doesn't mean convicting someone on absolutely zero evidence. As I said in my post " Either he is good at hiding the evidence or there is nothing to see". So far there has been nothing to see.

A phone call from Flynn with no substance is not proof of anything.
Sessions meeting with an ambassador is also nothing. All Congressmen and Senators do this. He recused himself to satisfy the Dems raving.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The resignation was Flynn. The recusal was political BS.

Neither is evidence against Trump. There have been numerous ranking officials questioned about this and they all say they have found nothing.
All part of the same team.

Let's see those financial states to firm up confidence.

It could only help, I'm sure you agree

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
With Repubs up on the Hill putting up a nice shiny deflector shield around Trump to keep their own asses out of the line of fire, it's just logical to assume they all want this Russian bear in Trump's oval office to simply vanish into thin air. And it's pretty obvious from the slick spin they're all casting about to bury this bear in their room that they're scared shitless about the facts of the matter surfacing some place where they can't quash it fast enough before it hits the streets.

Sooner or later Trump and the GOP will run out of wiggle room, get cornered and try as they may to lie and deceive their way out of that mess they made for themselves, it's going to stick in the minds of the people the same way it happened when the Bush/Cheney debacle had run its course.

And just watch their spinmeisters tackle Trumpcare with the same BS sleight of hand shtick they're going to flood the media with the moment it passes into law.

Fun times ahead.