on line cpu use

troutmask

Oct 9, 1999
whne I'm online with a dsl connection, my processor use is at 90%. How can I find out if someone is using my extra processing time and stop it...

thanks

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Task Manager..

Win2k/XP

Ctrl Alt Del

Ctrl Shift Esc

Processes tab, see which is using the most cycles.

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
I've been experiencing this exact problem when i'm online lately, when i'm typing and browsing my system slows to a standstill. Its getting on my nerves but the moment i stop typing the CPU usage goes right back down. I'll hae a tinker and see what i can find then post it here in case it's of any use to you. :beer:

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
OK it's Internet Explorer itself that's using up all my CPU power, i don't know why the hell why it's doing that but i suspect that yours is doing the same thing. Anyone know why IE should be acting like this, and what can i do to fix it? Can it be fixed with some sort of patch? :confused:

troutmask

Oct 9, 1999
It looks like windows media player is taking up the cycles, but when I go off line, the ratio changes radically to like 5% from 90%..... even though media player is just open in the background not being used..

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
maybe it's that worm that's been going around
it's supposed to be a DOS attack which could slow yur system

but I would recommend upgrading IE and installing the worm patch and SP4
that should fix yur problem even if it isn't the worm (which it prob isn't)

I also agree with the above, kill any processes you don't recognize or that you don't need and try to make them not startup with windows
also uninstall any weird stuff that installed itself while you were browsing
i've noticed a few things seem to do that these days

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
i could be a pop up. For some pop ups your computer will have to "connect to a server" for you to view it. And just as in a web page sometimes it doesnt connect. Since its doing all this in the background - your computer will think the pop up is the active window (window on top) - you cant click any other windows because the pop up is active and frozen, and you can close the popup cause you havent connected to the server to see it (it hasnt popped up yet) - I know it sucks, usually you can shoot to task manager and close down the explorer window that you see is the pop up. i get these all the time - but maybe its because im surfin on a 166p1