On Fire: $390 - 27" IPS WQHD 2560x1440 LED monitor from Monoprice

Discussion in 'Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests' started by Kaido, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Kaido

Kaido Lifer

Update: On backorder until 3/2/2013

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=9579&seq=1&format=2

Specs:

27" diagonal size
    Dual-link DVI display input (DVI-D)
    IPS panel with 178-degree viewing angles (Korean LG panel, same as the one Apple uses)
    6ms response time
    LED backlighting
    65 watts (1 watt standby)
    External power brick
    25.5" x 16" x 2.3" (14.3 pounds)
    WQHD 2560x1440 resolution
    100x100 VESA mount (tilt stand included)
    1-year warranty
    5 dead pixel or less guarantee

This appears to be the same as the Nixeus panels sold on Amazon, or the ones you get from Korea on ebay in the $350 - $400 range (Catleap Yamakasi, Crossover, etc.). Basically Apple buys the A+ grade monitors for their iMacs and 27" standalone displays, then the other vendors get the rest. Apple charges $1,000 for their display (which also includes Thunderbolt and other stuff), so this is a pretty significant cost savings. So basically it's not the world's most fully-featured monitor and might not have a perfect panel, but you save $600 and get WQHD resolution with an IPS display, so that's ain't bad! :awe:

The only thing I can't tell is if it has a glossy display or not. It doesn't mention tempered glass in the description, but I think the eBay guys sell these in matte, glossy, and ultra-glossy (glass cover). Personally the Apple display is too reflective for my tastes, so I'm hoping this one has something decidedly less shiny...

2. Conscript

Conscript Golden Member

Backorder until March huh?

3. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Golden Member

I got on the mailing list last week when it was already back ordered until March. Seems like they may have sold a few then - or maybe they just added the listing too early, as I saw it in their big CES announcement email yesterday as being something new coming soon.

4. Kaido

Kaido Lifer

Yeah, folks at Fatwallet said that stock has been popping on & off:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1249116/

Current status is March ship date. Definitely interested in picking one of these bad boys up...I'd feel much better with a US-seller I trust (Monoprice), a 1-year warranty, and a 5-dead-pixels-or-less guarantee than buying it from eBay or even Nixeus.

5. Anubis

Anubis No Lifer

if they are like the apples or the catleaps they are a glossy display
    i have 2 of the Shimians (south korea/ebay), great monitors if you wanna take the risk
    the gloss isnt that bad, took about a week to get used to it. my room is pretty light controlled so no sources that would shine on them

6. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Golden Member

Agree with all that - plus hoping there is an active % off coupon when it comes back in!

7. cytoSiN

cytoSiN Platinum Member

Nice, but glossy kills this for me. Windows on both possible walls it would face in my home office :( Good deal for those can wait until March and can use the glossy though!

8. Kaido

Kaido Lifer

From what I've read, they all seem to have some degree of gloss, but some optionally have the addition of the tempered glass on the front like the Apple displays. So I think their version of "matte" is just a model without the glass - but it's still glossy (just not quite as glossy due to the lack of glass). Concrete information is a bit sketchy over multiple forums :sneaky:

9. KingFatty

KingFatty Diamond Member

10. Kaido

Kaido Lifer

Not familiar with this one - is it based on the Korean LG panels, or is it a legit monitor in its own right? Seems like a pretty stellar deal either way, based on the number of inputs. Also it seems to be a non-reflective panel, which would be great!

11. Gunbuster

Gunbuster Diamond Member

Depends on what you want it for. Multi-input means it will have a scaler and introduce input lag so that's a minus for gamers.

12. Corporate Thug

I'm waiting for a couple reviews of this guy.

13. Kaido

Kaido Lifer

Monoprice has one:

Seems about on-par with the Catleaps and stuff...

14. einstein4pres

einstein4pres Member

If the stand is flimsy, it's in the same boat as the Auria (the 24" IPS from Microcenter). I bought an Auria, and was quickly annoyed at the stand, which had no adjustments. I ended up with the "NeoFlex" stand from Amazon, which works well for me. No rotation, but good stiffness on the height and angle adjustments (after I found the right screws to turn!).

The monoprice stands get good reviews, but are supposed to be really big.

http://www.amazon.com/Ergotron-33-31...dp/B000FLXW90/

(this one looks nearly identical, except for color and branding)
    http://www.amazon.com/3M-Easy-Adjust...dp/B0013CD0DI/

15. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

FYI the Auria 2560x1440 at Microcenter is not Korean, it's made in China.

16. ElFenix

ElFenix Elite Member<br> Super Moderator<br>Off Topic
    Super Moderator

my LG branded IPS monitor here at work says made in china on the back.

17. Kaido

Kaido Lifer

Any idea how it compares to the Korean model? Basically the same? Inferior quality? On paper they pretty much look exactly alike...

18. allies

allies Platinum Member

The "Korean" monitors simply refer to Korean market off-brand monitors. The LG IPS panels are manufactured in China.

19. Kaido

Kaido Lifer

Well, just for the point of differentiation in discussion - the Catleaps etc. ship from Korea, while the Microcenter one is apparently labeled "Made in China", i.e. Korean vs. China panel.

20. Ashenor

Ashenor Golden Member

Have 2 catleap's from Ebay and love them.

21. ElFenix

ElFenix Elite Member<br> Super Moderator<br>Off Topic
    Super Moderator

they're all LG panels. they come from wherever LG makes those panels, whether that's korea, china, vietnam, thailand, or the moon. previously, LG had just been dumping the rejects on the korean domestic market.

22. rolodomo

rolodomo Senior member

Just picked up an Auria 2560x1440 from Microcenter. The manager and tech support were very nice and helped me test it out at the store to facilitate a quick replacement in case I got a lemon out of the box (after I bought the monitor of course).

I've noticed one dead pixel so far, but more testing is needed.

One notorious issues I have NOT noticed so far. I can see most of the boot screen when using the dual-link DVI connector. Indeed, the monitor seems to initialize in a typical period of time. I'm using a Gigabyte GTX 650 2GB card.

I'm using the monitor for a custom-Mac build running Mountain Lion. The OS booted into 2560x1440 resolution no problem and looks dayum good.

23. Kaido

Kaido Lifer

How reflective is the screen? I'd like to snag one for my wife's Hackintosh, since she does a lot of photo editing.

24. rolodomo

rolodomo Senior member

Definitely a glossy screen that seems very reflective. When I create a harsh back-lighting environment in the room, I can see a lot of room details reflected on the screen (when the screen if turned off).

25. Dooms87

Dooms87 Member

how does this compare to the other cheap 1440p ips panels