On determining our thoughts on why Mueller didn't charge the President of a crime:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/5/31/18645173/mueller-report-barr-trump-obstruction

I found this to be thought provoking and predictive of why Mueller will need to testify before congress, regardless of his intentions. There are things that need explanation that are not in his report and bear of the question of whether the special council legislation and DOJ rules seem to need adjustment. Really, how CAN you not be above the law if you can't be charged even if only to inform congress that crimes were committed. If Mueller, out of some unknown sense of morality and self imposed sense of duty, chose a path that lead to Barr making the call for him, doesn't he owe we the people an explanation?

Your thoughts:

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I think it's pretty clear that he prepared his report for Congress to take over and that he should not conclude whether the President committed a crime because that would prejudice Congress who would be embarking on impeachment proceedings to make such a determination. At any other time in the past, I expect that this is how things would have gone. Things are different now, but it's hard really for me to imagine much in the way of institutional changes as the solution. The problem is rampant violation of those institutions on purely partisan lines couples with a media echo chamber which obstructs awareness of such violation.

I do think Mueller could have been clear in saying that, were Trump not President, he would recommend indictment. In that case, he is not determining guilt, merely the need for a trial. But I don't feel confident that we'd be in much different waters had he done so, and it would look really bad if he did so now.

Reactions: dank69

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The article has some merit and as I mentioned in another thread his basis for withholding his opinion is no longer valid because of all people, Barr. Mueller's boss created a new de facto policy when he stated that Mueller could have been forthcoming. I would like to see a closed-door session in the House where Mueller may be compelled to testify under this new decision by Barr. Why I would prefer private testimony this time around is because Mueller may discuss things with less resistance while public hearings would be a three-ring political circus and not a proper hearing. Of course, when (if?) impeachment happens then Mueller must testify in public and if that means going over old material so be it.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The only thing that sticks in my craw is the sunshine he blew up Barr's ass.