On closer inspection the graphics are not so hot

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Wondered if anyone else is awed by amazing graphics in a game at first when you're going at a good pace through the gameplay. And everything is so new and inspiring to see. Then when you replay the game and take time to look at the visuals more closely in turns out it has problems.

Like textures are not as sharp as you first thought. Or the water isn't quite right along the shore. Things like that. And the issues keep adding up until you finally stop playing the game a few days later.

Please understand this is coming from someone who plays pc games for their looks. So this probably won't apply that much to those who value story and game mechanics as much or more than graphics.

Edit: Came back to say Obduction is a case in point. I was highly praising the graphics of this game over in the Just Adventure site while I was still 3/4 of the way through. But now I'm not so crazy about its looks after seeing it during leisurely re-exploration. So it's back to Deus Ex MD and Witcher 3 for my super graphics replay fix.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
If graphics were that big of a deal when gaming, I probably would just find another hobby. Go outside, the graphics there are AMAZING.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I play games for fun and quality of the game. Great graphics are a bonus. Some of the best games I've ever played have pretty basic graphics.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Meant to add about why don't I go around slowly from the start of a game to inspect all the graphics to find out if they suck? That may work for the first level or map. But lots of games require gameplay to get to all the maps. I want to get the gameplay out of the way and done with. Then go back and take my time looking at all the scenery without being bothered by the plot.

That logic may still have holes in it to some. But I can't bring myself to engage in gameplay at the slow pace I use for exploration. I go through the plot at an average pace I think, not slow. So even at an average pace I'm going to miss many flaws in the graphics. And I'll discover them later in my slow exploration mode.

Some games like Skyrim give the entire world to explore after just a few missions at the start. So I can get in a slow paced exploration mode quickly for the whole open world, except for a few areas that require a quest to enter. Good, that's what I did in Skyrim and found out the textures were blah. What do you expect with only a mere 5 or 6gb download for a large open world?

I still played Skyrim for years because mods made it look better. And I'd still be playing it now except the high quality ENB graphics mods are too much of a hassle for me to deal with. I haven't yet installed ENB. And the Skyrim modding system is too much to keep up with as far as conflicts and attaining the best visuals.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I take in the graphics as a whole and do not focus so much on it like some. If it looks good to me then it looks good. I just enjoy the game at that point. Some people will sit there looking at trees closeup and walls and such..then complain about the shitty textures. I for one do not understand why anyone needs to do that. Just play the game and enjoy it if you can.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I recall playing "Half-life" and thought the graphocs were amazing. I can't even look at it now. If one game needs a remaster its halflife.