On Boot: No display until Windows Login screen - no internet but network connection

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
[edit: Mods, can you move this to Computer Help?]

This is the weirdest damn problem I have witnessed on my computer.

During boot, I have no display on my monitor. When windows is loading the Login screen, the display will appear on the monitor.

Also, after a boot/reboot, nothing can access the internet.
[A note on that: my PC connects to a router/switch, static configured for no DHCP and to act like a bridge for the router that is on the other end of a powerline network, which is then wired to the internet. So my PC, to reach the internet, communicates through two routers/swiches. I cannot tick one button to enable Bridge mode for the second router, but I have it configured to act like one, and the Routing Map looks great. Latency times confirm ideal connections between devices on the various switches, so I know all that is actually configured properly.]
Windows (Win7, btw) states I am connected to two networks after boot. After I disable and then enable the network adapter in the control panel, everything goes fine.
During this whole process, I am pulling my proper IP and subnet, and can communicate completely with both routers (through ping and through the browser config sites).

These two problems showed up at the same time, btw. Display is powered by an nvidia GPU (physical card), and ethernet is onboard.

Last edited:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
That forum exists? :p

Anyway, so do you ever see the BIOS screen during boot? Does your monitor stay in standby mode, or does it power on with no picture?

Well, I used to see all of POST, BIOS, and bootloader screens. Now, my monitor stays in standby mode until Windows brings up the Login screen.

This is a recent development, as is the no internet (yet a full network connection) on boot.
And it is two seperate pieces of hardware that would be involved (video card and mobo for onboard ethernet), so even more confusing. And both "symptoms" pop up at the exact same time, when there has been no change in hardware or software. No driver updates or anything to speak of, that I recall at least. So damn weird.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
It could be that you got hit by a surge that sent your equipment to Wonkyville. That would explain why you're having problems from two seemingly unrelated components.

Anyway, try swapping the GPU.