On average, how long does it take you to write up an English Paper?

Madcowz

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2000
Unfortunately I was thrown into an Expository Writing class, and now I have to write up 4-5 page papers every week. My stuff aint bad, in fact my teacher finds it to be rather good, it's just that these papers take me forever to write; about 4 hours in fact! I look at my roommate in comparison, and he can do them under an hour! When I see him writing, it looks as if it comes naturally to him; no pauses, just non-stop writing. It feels as though I'm pausing to think after EVERY sentence... am I doing something wrong? How long does it normally take you guys to write a paper?

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
really depends..

if i'm on the flow.. like an hour 1/2

if not .. it takes me like 3-4 hours..

really depends on what else i'm doing..

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
Depends on writing quality and if I know what I'm going to say. I could probably bs 5 pages in about half an hour.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
on a three to five page paper i generally take about 3 hours. if however it requires a bunch of research i take much longer

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
There's nothing wrong with your timeframe. In fact, I'd say it's about average. Any quicker and you might make mistakes or get sloppy. One of two things is going on, either your roomie excels at writing or else he's bsing his way through.

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
long time....... write for 5 minutes, then rest for 30. write for 10, one hr rest.............

4824guy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sometimes it takes as long as 45 minutes to write 4 sentences. Somtimes not as long.

TheBlondOne

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
It takes me about 3 - 5 hours for a good "A" paper.

I'd imagine your roommate isn't doing as well. Unless he's just gifted like that. I know people that have written a 15 page paper in 3 hours....and gotten A's. But those people should be dragged out into the street and shot.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I once wrote a ten page paper in about two hours right before my class, and got an A on it. Most of the time it takes longer than that (prob. 3 hours for ten pages). I was just in the flow that day :D I have written so many papers in high school and college, I just know what to write and how to write it. I must have written 30 papers alone my senior year in high school English, my teach was anal that we learn how. And we had to write impromptu papers in class and be done when the bell rang. I hated it, but it was good preparation for college.

Madcowz

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2000
UGH, I can't even imagine what it would be like to have to write like a 20 page essay... I'm sure the time it would take would increase expontentially though!

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
revisiting this thread...

i really would not worry about how long it is taking you, if you are focused. by focused, i mean, your attention isn't divided between music and work or something. take as long as you need until you feel good about what you have to turn in. i've found that i get the best grades when i take the time to produce a satisfactory product.

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
If it;s a research paper, it depends on the subject. If it's more of a personal/reflection paper then I can do them in an hour or 2 for a 2-3 page paper. In fcat, Im working on a 6-8 page research paper right now for English, with Terrorism in the US being the subject. Shouldn't be too difficult.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
The problem with those damned courses is that I write when I want to write, and finish whenever I get done. That doesn't seem to square well with the instructor, so I end-up just writing crap, putting the required number of words down on paper, just to complete the assignment. That's not "writing", its something else.