OMGWTFBBQ!! UPDATE: YAGT: How to tell GF she's gained weight

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
Originally posted by: lozina
yeah old thread, just wanted to chime in and say he did the right thing

what's the difference between a giel who lets herself go and becomes bloated than a girl who starts doing drugs? they both lead to health problems and are self destructive. So just as I'd dump my GF if I found her doing drugs I'd dump her if she lets herself go and has no will to bring herself back into a healthy lifestlye. I dont want a family with a wife who's going to die of heart disease when my kids are 5 or 6 years old
If this is a bar skank you were desparate enough to stay with, sure dump her. But if its someone you care about, you don't just dump them off because they are in a tough place; you help them get through it. If your relationship doesn't work out in the end because of this, at least you did your best to help them and probably truly helped them in the long run regardless of how you two turn out.

I know if my gf developed a weight, drug, or other serious problem, I would be at her side helping her. If you don't think your SO would do the same, maybe you should reconsider your relationship.

Well yeah, obviously you're gonna try and help- but I'm talking about if they have no will to fix themselves, like apparantly this OP's GF was like.

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: AccruedExpenditure
Originally posted by: gigapet
is she still a fatty?

Why did you bump this?

i was looking for a particular YAGT to reference and i came across this one and decided I wanted to know the conclusion.

AbsolutDealage

Platinum Member
Dec 20, 2002
Originally posted by: ValkyrieofHouston

I think if you really care about her, you would take steps to listen to her and find out if there is something emotionally going on with her first. Suggest therapy, maybe you can go with her? Then suggest going to a doctor for some testing. This could demonstrate to her how much you care about her, and are concerned for her health and well being.

I think going to therapy is a bit much here. He did his part by being gentle about it and suggesting that they work out together, and she chopped his head off for it. The fact is, she gained 40 pounds pretty quickly, and there are plenty of other fish in the sea. He doesn't need some crazy woman barking at him for trying to be nice... it's college, he should be out there having fun.

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Alkesh
way to open up old wounds people...

thats it??? wtf........the wounds are open you may as well give a proper status report!

you syringering alkesh!

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
I took the direct approach with girl friend. :p

yes I told her she gained a lot of weight. She had stopped running for a while. Bow she is back to excercising again, and as well as I. :p we both need to lose weight.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Get her to go walking around with you. Walking is a great way to burn fat. Try telling her you want to start buying only healthy foods because you are tired of your poor diet. That way you are not pointing her out.

If she doesn't want to exercise or switch up the diet, you need to hit it one last time before you kick her fat ass out the door.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Adul

yes I told her she gained a lot of weight. She had stopped running for a while. Bow she is back to excercising again, and as well as I. :p we both need to lose weight.

I thought you said you would love me no matter what! :(

:p

Darthvoy

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2004
I hope you didn't do it the way I did. I basically told her that if she got any fatter I would leave her. It made her cry like I have never seen before and made me feel like a complete a$$hole (which is given by what I said)...the reason I exploded was because were talking about going to the gym to loose some of the weight we put on after we started dating and right after that she orders animal style fries from in n out. For of those of you who don't know, animal style fries have cheese and thousand island dressing caked on top. Anyways, I guess kinda worked caused she joined weight watchers and has lost a ton of weight.

mrchan

Diamond Member
May 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Darthvoy
I hope you didn't do it the way I did. I basically told her that if she got any fatter I would leave her. It made her cry like I have never seen before and made me feel like a complete a$$hole (which is given by what I said)...the reason I exploded was because were talking about going to the gym to loose some of the weight we put on after we started dating and right after that she orders animal style fries from in n out. For of those of you who don't know, animal style fries have cheese and thousand island dressing caked on top. Anyways, I guess kinda worked caused she joined weight watchers and has lost a ton of weight.

Do they charge extra for that? It sounds fantastic!

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
Originally posted by: DAGTA

here's a cookie :cookie:

and I only told her once;)

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Dragoon42
Originally posted by: chambersc
can someone define "Fat"? how fat is fat to you guys. 145lbs 5'4"? that too fat?

holy crap, 145lbs @ that height is FAT!. If NONE of it is muscle, then you're fat. To be considered not fat you'd have to be like muscular.

QFT.

She might be butch.... if she had some muscle.

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Originally posted by: eakers
oh and btw, if my boyfriend ever told me I was getting fat in any kind of round about way i'd probabley have a good binge/purge then cut myself a whole bunch.

Then again, like most fat people, I have issues.

Yeah...why not direct that energy to something constructive, like exercise? Instead of cutting yourself, wear yourself out on a punching bag. Alot of that will make you thinner, whereas alot of cutting will just make you scarred and uglier, in turn making you hate yourself more, etc.

I'm not picking on you, I just HATE it when people cut themselves. It accomplishes nothing. If you hate yourself, drink heavily or something, but please put down the razor blade.

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: eakers
oh and btw, if my boyfriend ever told me I was getting fat in any kind of round about way i'd probabley have a good binge/purge then cut myself a whole bunch.

Then again, like most fat people, I have issues.

Well, get this. One of my friends' GF is over in Europe doing study abroad. Beer is cheaper than water over there from what I gather so she's been drinking beer like crazy...and has put on 15 pounds. Now she was probably a buck and a nickle at most before she left. But he thinks that she's is gonna be like HUGE now that she has gained 15 pounds.

So he wants to get her an iPod for Christmas so that she can go running and get "un fat." He says that he's not gonna tell her straight to her face that she needs to lose weight, but just give her the iPod and say go running.:roll:

I think the 15 pounds is the least of his problems. If she's "drinking beer like crazy" in Europe, chances are some greasy Euro-fvck is spanking her fat ass every night like her ugly American boyfriend never could.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DAGTA

here's a cookie :cookie:

and I only told her once;)

hahaha, nice.... I was eating a cookie when I read this. :eek:

Itchrelief

Golden Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: ValkyrieofHouston
Originally posted by: Alkesh
Suggestions?

Edit: She went from Eva Longoria to Rosie O' Donnell

Edit2: I am not fat. I am athletic. and no preggers.

Update: She has turned down the offer to join me on my weekly runs.

Update2: I think its all over now. If she refuses to change then there's nothing i can do.

Update3: OMFG All the food is gone!!!!! I just came back to the apartment and all the food in the place has been cleaned out. WTF!!!!

Geesh Alkesh...

First off running is not for everybody. That might not even be the way to go about trying to help her if she does have a real weight problem.

Secondly, if you really have feelings for her or care about her, maybe you could show her more concern and affection and not put so much emphasis on the weight/body thing.

There are alot of reasons for sudden weight gain, hormonal, emotional, and a whole lot of other things we could list here. I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that she has become comfortable in your relationship and just "let herself go". Thats a bunch of crap. There are some women who deal with emotional stress differently and will avoid sexual intimacy by eating alot and gaining weight to keep their partner at bay, or others of the opposite sex from making sexual advances toward them. This is a known fact. Some women who are sexual abuse survivors do this late in life... and don't even realize they are doing it.

The hormonal issue can be Thyroid, pituitary, or Female hormones that are either lacking or too much of. Causing an increase in weight and hunger.

I think if you really care about her, you would take steps to listen to her and find out if there is something emotionally going on with her first. Suggest therapy, maybe you can go with her? Then suggest going to a doctor for some testing. This could demonstrate to her how much you care about her, and are concerned for her health and well being.

Just pushing her about her eating habits, trying to force her to do activities that you like, such as running... that just will cause her to feel even more self concious, and could possibly do harm to her self esteem.

And yea, I do think it is a bit Shallow of you to say some of things you have posted in this thread about her.

Maybe she is better off with out YOU! :disgust:

It has been stated before in this thread, and I will repeat, SOMETIMES PEOPLE JUST GET FAT WITHOUT HAVING A PSYCHOLOGICAL PROBLEM. As a person who has problems with his weight, I can attest to this. SOME PEOPLE JUST LIKE TO EAT (THAT'S ME, I KNOW). If all the fatasses in the world stopped blaming someone else or something else for being fat, there would be so many fewer obese people in this world, even if they were truly driven to eat by psychological reasons. There are people in the world with no arms who have coped and instead write with their toes. YOU MUST STRIVE TO OVERCOME, EVEN IF IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT. If you overcome, great. If you can't, then oh well, but some people don't even try and just use the copout of blaming externalities.

Irregardless of WHY she is fat, if she goes psycho and 1) throws all your stuff around the apartment and 2)suddenly gets rid of all the food in the apartment, you're not just dealing with a fat person, you're dealing with an overreacting psycho who can't handle any criticism.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: deathkoba
Have the same problem cept she's not nearly as FAT but still 5'4" and about 130 lbs, still way too chunky in my opinion. I've told her she's not attractive and that I can't love someone who's overweight and she understands it, but she's just not doing anything about it.
What the hell is wrong with some of you people?

5'4 and 130bs? sounds good to me.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
My gf is about 5'4" and weighs 145 lbs, and I :heart: her. I find her very attractive (then again, I am a big breasts and ass type of guy).