OMGWTF?!?! I just called on a job I had interviewed twice for last year...

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Setup:

Software engineering position, home town (Rochester), basically the same thing I was doing before I got laid off. Sent resume mid-last year, called in twice for interviews by September. Several followup calls made - company essentially dragging their feet on hiring for that position.

Called slightly before Thanksgiving and talked to the HR manager. I bluntly asked whether a decision was going to be made before the holiday season, because contacting me during the time might obviously be difficult. HR manager said they were already behind schedule for hiring this position, and had no timeframe on filling it. Okay, well, enjoy the holidays and I'll get back to you.

Since that phone call I have sent numerous emails and left several voicemails to the HR manager, as well as the department managers and even the Senior VP of the department - without response.

I just called about 5 minutes ago and talked to the HR manager... she doesn't have a clue as to who I am, and tells me "Yes, we are accepting resumes for a position... it's listed on Monster.com".
rolleye.gif

Oh my god... hello? I interviewed twice already, has that position been filled? I believe I was infact the leading candidate to fill that position... I swear, it was like talking to the airline attendant in Tommy Boy.

Finally I think she got a clue and said they've done some restructuring in the department, and isn't sure what happened with the position I interviewed for. "But there is a current listing on Monster you can submit your resume for..."

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!oneone1!111

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Adul
hahaha damn some people. Are you sure you even want to work for a company like that

Honestly - that's the FIRST thing I thought as soon as I got off the phone with her. I need to find the stack of business cards I came away from this place with and see if any of the people in the department I interviewed with have a clue before I say no.

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
I wonder if they did that to show that they couldn't find anyone, then request an HB-1 to hire a foreign worker

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: Citrix
dude take the hint. they do not want to hire you.
Yep. Sad but true.

5 months since my last contact with them and they still haven't hired anyone else? Two callbacks? Two interviews? And they weren't remotely interested in me?

Good god you people can be harsh.

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
Now that I've accepted a job offer, I'm getting phone calls for other positions that I applied for 6 months ago. They said "We decided not to fill the position at the time, but now we decided to go ahead and fill it." I wouldn't work for a company like that. I thought they were irresponsible for posting a position they had no intention of filling.

I can't believe that you interviewed with these people and they're playing games. I wouldn't bother with them, unless you're really desperate for a job.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
I have applied to contract and fulltime positions for this one department I had worked for 10 years ago under contract. I left with good will (actually the company moved me to another department to follow the software I was working on) but i get this weird feeling like I am not going to get this job, nor an interview. I guess I'm down on myself because I think I'd actually be happy in that job and I can't have that, can I?

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001
Just curious....what company is this? The reason I ask is I'm also in a hunt for a Software Engineering job in the Rochester area, and had a company pull a similar 'trick' (?, or whatever you want to call it) on me recently. Just wondering if it's the same company (you can PM me the name if you wish to keep it quiet).

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
that happend to me once a couple years back. i just said fvuk it and got another job. i dont want to work for a company with a HR so incompetent. who know how they might screw me up once i start workin

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
I'm in HR and there's nothing wrong with it. I love to hear employees shiver when I have to call them.

SunnyD, I'm sorry to say that they probably weren't interested in you. If you had met the expectations of what they were looking for in that position, they would have definetly hired you by now, whether or not they were in a rush to fill the position or not.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Scootin159
Just curious....what company is this? The reason I ask is I'm also in a hunt for a Software Engineering job in the Rochester area, and had a company pull a similar 'trick' (?, or whatever you want to call it) on me recently. Just wondering if it's the same company (you can PM me the name if you wish to keep it quiet).

I'm wondering the same thing. Right now I commute to Syracuse every day.:(

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: bigrash
I'm in HR and there's nothing wrong with it. I love to hear employees shiver when I have to call them.

SunnyD, I'm sorry to say that they probably weren't interested in you. If you had met the expectations of what they were looking for in that position, they would have definetly hired you by now, whether or not they were in a rush to fill the position or not.

I'm sorry - but I hardly think that it's a case of not being interested in me, otherwise why would I get a first interview, let alone a second interview - which included meeting with the Sr. Veep of the department, the QA manager for the software division, a re-meeting with the software manager and the lead developer, and a group of the software engineers, plus the entire facility tour?

You do NOT go that for to not hire anybody. And in fact, they didn't hire anybody... the HR chickette mentioned something about the department being restructured or something. It's like everything they were doing before Christmas just disappeared, kindof timewarp-esque. And I was well qualified for the position. So I seriously doubt that they simply didn't want me.

I've got to dig up my stack of business cards from the place and get ahold of people with a clue to find out what's actually going on.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Dude, do you know how many second interviews I've been to, where I thought I nailed the job. Yes, I'd met with svp and evp and I thought they were very impressed with me, but at the end I didn't get the job. These days second interviews really don't mean as much as it used to.

anyways, I hope you do get the job. Good luck!

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
I've had similar thing happen to me with computer associates. I've gone through 2 interview, both interviewers told me I was one of the best candidates they've ever seen. I've even had a 3rd interview with VP of human resources.

10 days pass and nothing from them. On 11th day somebody from human resources calls me at 8:30 on friday morning and these are her exact words: "I'm sorry but seems like we've lost all the documents on your interviews. Would you mind if we quickly go over the questions again?". At that point I already had an offer from another company, and I also found out from an inside source that they pay the same salary of 45k to all college graduates. So I told the lady I had no interest working for a company that can't get their HR dept. together and went back to sleep.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Apathetic
I have NEVER met a competent HR person in my life.

Dave

My old IT director went to work for a new startup mortgage company and asked me to come along. This company is a subsidiary of another much larger mortgage company and uses their HR dept. . .

Anyway, I interview with various people, all like me and offer me lots of money. Hooray! (Of course, the IT director wouldn't have brought me in for interviews if I didn't rock...)

They make me a firm offer, and I accept. Then my wife goes into the hospital to have our baby when they call and say I need to come in for a meeting to explain my credit report. (My credit sucks. My wife and I suck at managing money.) Well, I'm in a hospital with my cell turned off (as is the law) and call back when I go outside and get my messages. I get the manager's voicemail, explain the situation, and say I'll call back the next day.

Apparently that wasn't good enough, because after leaving 3 more messages the manager leaves a final one withdrawing their offer. WTF?!?!?

I call the director the next day and ask what happened. The HR dept had scheduled me for this credit interview without talking to me first, and refused to change the meeting. If I didn't come in, I was inelegible for hire. End of story as far as they were concerned. :|

Of course, I said "fsck 'em" because my family comes first, and I already had a decent job. :p