omg why does american chocolate taste so horrible =O :: yuck.

Passions

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
I bought Hersheys "Symphony" brand cuz I thought, hey now this might be a bit better. But oh my g! it tastes like those chocolate you get from the quarter machine or like those gold coin chocolate! man whats wrong why cant we make some good chocolate like germans. sigh.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
True chocolate fans don't like any American chocolate. The longer chocolate is stirred, the better it is. Europeans stir theirs longer, Americans just stir it enough to sell.

THELAIR

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
/me gets on his soap box

last year at the worlds chocolate fair in Paris, a Canadian chocolatier (sp?) won the world title for best chocolate :p

in fact he is from my city, Bernard Calbout (sp?) REALLY good stuff.... insanely expensive though

a lil tiny bag of chocolate shavings goes for like 15 bucks, some of hte higher end single chocolates are as high as 25$ a pop, and no bigger than a dollar coin... i think ill take a dozen
:)

really good though
hehe

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
German chocolate is the best.
My personal favorite: Milka.
MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! :D

Target has it now, btw, but it is kind of expensive.

Dec 12, 1999
Mmmmmm.... Chocolate..... Mmmmmmmmm.....

Cadburys & Galaxy are the nicest, for a good price anyway :)

Chicken Chow Mein tastes better though!

DarK SagE

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Did u guys ever try chocolate that has these bubles in it? I dont know what it's called but it's reallly good.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
i like symphony bars...

anyway, godiva is the best chocolate i have ever had.

it's a shame that my pallete is not as diverse as the rest of y'alls =(

GreenGhost

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Bubbles:
Nestle sells something called Souflair (I think with different spellings in some south american countries).

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Having lived in the Netherlands, I must agree with Bobby Ribbs, chocolate in the US is generally crap. Not all of it though, I'm sure there are some specialty chocolate makers that 'go the extra mile'. Not only chocolate, but in general, when it comes to confections, the US has A LOT to learn from the 'old world' still :)

Hmmmm.... now where's my Droste and Verkade when I need it??

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Bad chocolate? No such thing just some better than others. Try Godiva or the Brand from Ghiardelli Square in San Fran and re evaluate.

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
milka's are great, but not the best.
but hey, in germany they sell for like 20 cents a pop, whereas here they're more like 1.20 :(

tom3

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
In my opinion, any and all chocolate taste so much better when it's "warmed" vs. cooled..

A near-melting point hersey bar will taste better than some frozen unltra expensive chocolate..

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
I'm the opposite. I think warm chocolate is disgusting. I keep mine in the fridge when it is warm in my room.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
bestmax, godiva and Girardelli are some of the better ones here in the US, and when I eat chocolate that's generally the brands that I choose, but they still don't even come close to some of the finer German, Swiss, Belgian and Dutch chocolates. :)

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Yeah Tagej,

I agree, was only giving a few examples of obtainable American types.

As for warm or cold, I keep mine in the freezer and let it melt in my mouth. Lasts much longer that way but then again I always try to make sensual experiences last as long as possible. :D

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
hey TheLair: he said American chocolate, not Canadian.

and yes, anything out of hershey or nestle factories tastes like poop.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Last time I looked, Gorant Chocolate was made in the USA. Try that and get back to me about what "good" chocolate is.

Here's a tip for you chocolate lovers. We buy our Gorant from "The Yum-Yum Tree" locally for special occasions. It's priced fairly. But the thing to do is drop in the day after a holiday. Half off most of the gift boxed chocolate! :p

I've got a box of individually wrapped dark chocolate "Meltaways" in front of me right now. My wife got them for me for Sweetest day. The individually wrapped ones sell for less than the bulk for some reason. And they stay fresher too.

Edit: Oops, I said Godiva instead of Gorant. I'll take Gorant over Godiva, but Godiva is fancier.

marketsons1985

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2000
Dark Sage......

Aero bars!!!!

They're only available in Canada....lucky me, i live bout 45 min from canada.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ornery, scroll up a few posts. TheBestMax already mentioned Godiva, and I already replied ;) Godiva is among the best US chocolate, but it doesn't hold a candle to some of the good European chocolate.

Gotta have my chocolate in the fridge, not the freezer. That way it's nice and cold and not too soft, but just ready to melt in your mouth... :) Hmmm, I'll be right back, gotta get something out of the fridge :)

THELAIR

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Aero bars are in the states, im sure.
Although they do have cherry coke and Mr Pib, which we dont not that cherry coke is anythinge to get excited about

As for my first post, it was just to show that you can get world class chocolate with out having to fork out an expensive plane ticket to europe for good european chocolate. Just come up north to your friendly canadian chocolate store eh :)

you can wash it down with a beer later!