OMG - Temp sensor malfunctioning? *with pictures* FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aeroguy

Mar 21, 2002
Okay my Dell Inspiron has been lagging and the fans are on high constantly. I found this program:

Dell Fan Control Very cool.

Anyway, does anyone know if this can be fixed? Can I replace the temp sensor if there is such a thing? The CPU is running slow b/c it thinks it's hot, even though it's not, and everything is lagging. I know it's really not that hot b/c the fans are be on high the second I press the power button, even after it's been off all day. This is really making me angry.

Here's a Screenshot

Edit: FIXED!!! I found a place on the net that said to make the BIOS reread it's settings just hit Fn+z and it worked!! After an entire week of headaches... it's that easy!!!

DetroitSportsFan

Oct 19, 2004
I'm having trouble reading your screenshot .... its small and very difficult to see. Can you please post it in an organized fashion in your next post? I only saw the cpu and gpu temps being 185 degrees ..... If thats accurate ..... you're near thermal meltdown stage.

aeroguy

Mar 21, 2002
Hmm, screenshot looks good on my screen.

What it says is that my CPU and GPU temp is a constant 185 degrees F over time, and that the CPU speed is a constant 7% (approximate) over time. The CPU load goes to 100% with any little thing I do since it is running so slow in an effort to keep cool (even though it's not hot).

I think the temp sensor is malfunctioning, so it defaults to 185 degrees so the fans stay on high all the time to keep cool because it doesn't know what temperature it's running at. It is obviously not actually running at 185 degrees.

I want to know if I can install a new temperature sensor, or maybe that's built into the CPU, I have no idea how it works. Or maybe somehow I can bypass the safeguards and tell the CPU to run faster and contol the fans manually via the program listed.

DetroitSportsFan

Oct 19, 2004
Lets hope your 185 F is inaccurate. Is that temp being reported by Dell Fan Control? What are you reporting from your BIOS? For me, its easier to work with celcius numbers since that is the universally accepted standard ..... although I know 185 F is the proper internal temp of that Thanksgiving Turkey when its finally done cooking. Thats SCALDING hot! If your bios is reporting far different numbers, then Dell Fan Control is causing your issues and your cool new software really isn't so cool.

aeroguy

Mar 21, 2002
That's 85 degrees C. That program takes the numbers directly from the BIOS. Anyway, I edited my first post. I'm so excited it's fixed!