OMG, my friend just got a computer, and its crap ass POS

AlphaIVT

Banned
Jul 26, 2000
heres the specs of the computer she just bought COMPAQ 5003US

Okay, its a PIII 933Mhz with integrated video, AC3 without the DVDROM, and a DVD program, but it doesn't have the DVDROM, and a 4x2x24x burner is the standard still? I thought an 8x4x32x would be by now. Sad how people get ripped off from these crappy spec'ed computers. I would've recommended her another computer.

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
How much did she pay? And for the love of god why do you put integrated video on a P3 933!

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
I don't even need to click on the damn link. It sez COMPAQ. I made the mistake once. My family has learned. We will never make the same mistake ever again...

AlphaIVT

Banned
Jul 26, 2000
It was $1100 after a $200 rebate.

CPU speed is so fast now, and cheap, i probably should upgrade this PIII 450

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
I just picked up the 5000US for $499. Its a Duron 700, 64MB, 30GB, CD-ROM, etc... Its even got the taisol Fan on it.

Its the perfedt machine for an OFFICE application. Its gonna go into a office for a Great American Tire company.

amb#cog

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2000
A friend of a friend of mine bought a HP PIII 733 machine, and man is that thing slow. My PII 400 machine feels just as fast, if not faster, then it.

Pre-builts suck arse period!!!

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Obviously it won't have a Philips sound card, GF2 Ultra and other good parts. It's dumb to compare it to a custom built by one of us on here.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
A friend of mine just got an TBird 900, GeForce MX, SB Live, DVD, CD-RW, 19" monitor, 128MB, from HP for under $1000..

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I understand why companies make integrated video computers, but why in the hell do consumers buy them?? Geez, that's idiotic. Leave them for the corporate users, and buy a decent box that can be upgraded.

SinnerWolf

Dec 30, 2000
Whenever you buy a brand name computer, you're going to get a bunch of resource hungry craptastic programs you don't need along with it. TURN them off!

Start--Run---type "msconfig"
click the "startup" tab
every item that is checkmarked is what runs in the background of your computer
uncheck everything except power programs, system tray, & antivirus/UPS if you've got them.
this will free up your memory for what you want it to do, as opposed to what compaq, hp, etc...wants.

AlphaIVT

Banned
Jul 26, 2000
lol, i'm looking throught this week's Best Buy catalog, a 1Ghz Athlon with 64MB RAM! what kinda crap are they building?

IBhacknU

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< I understand why companies make integrated video computers, but why in the hell do consumers buy them?? Geez, that's idiotic. Leave them for the corporate users, and buy a decent box that can be upgraded. >>

Trust me.. they (the computer companies) know what they're doing. The vast majority of computer buyers/users have no idea WHAT they're buying. (Why is AOL so popular?) They look at things like CPU Mhz, Hard Drive GB, Memory MB, etc. Ask them what integrated video is... good luck!

It gets even better. When that consumer tries to upgrade their computer in the future, they get denied! Time for them to run out and buy a NEW computer. I'd say the companies know exactly what the score is. :)

amb#cog

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2000
So true IBhacknU. :)

It's called job security. ;)

The one (HP) I talked of actually has an AGP slot (which surprised all of us). I got him a PCI 16Mb AIW for it. He assumed it had onboard, but there was actually an AGP slot in there with a, get this, 4Mb card!. WTF??? :Q

He kept asking why the video was so nicer on a PCI card??? Ummm.......nevermind man. :confused:

People see the 733, 933, 1Ghz,etc. And think it's fast. Poor people that don't do their research get screwed by good ole corporations as usual.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
You guys are surprised that a PIII has integrated video? Tonight I was flipping through the channels and they were selling a PC on the shopping channel... so I stopped flipping and wanted to see what this guy says to sell his PC...

Well, after watching for maybe 5-10mins, he take out a motherboard (the same in the PC) and started showing off all the &quot;features&quot; on it... And to my surpise, that mobo not only has integrated video, it also has a built-in modem and sound card! and what do you get in return for having all these stuff integrated into the mobo? Only 3 PCI slots! Yes! 3 PCI slots! And no ISA slots neither...

And the salesman was telling the viewers how good this is, having all these stuff on the mobo...

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Oh but he never mentioned what brand or model the mobo is, so I dont know...

And the PC was a PIII 900Mhz... it's not from a big company like Compaq or HP neither... I guess it's a local computer shop that put together a PC and selling it on the shopping channel or something...

IBhacknU

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's funny to listen to 'those guys' sell computers on those shopping channels. Makes you wonder who's more mis-informed, the host/salesperson or the buyer!

amb#cog

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2000
Don't know Red??? I didn't actually see it myself. My friend that actually put the card in said it was an Abit, but I didn't think they did much, if any OEM myself. Maybe he's confused, and it is an Asus, which does do a lot of OEM if I'm not mistaken.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
IBhacknU: I realize why the companies do that, but the interesting thing to me is that for just about any other product, most consumers actually look for information themselves (cars, for instance). However, for computers, people just trust their salesmen -- why don't you just bend over and take it?

Some people might argue that most people don't need anything but integrated video. Since when is horrible image quality something that ANYONE needs? I was using a Trio64 at work, and it's like trying to look at the monitor through running water. Garbage. And my company spent $2500 on these desktops when they were new! Even better, they equipped half of the people in my department with laptops at $4000 apiece. I'd venture a guess that perhaps three of them have ever left the office in the two years we've had them. Such an effective use of money there.