OMG... i think i broke my computer... T_T

l Xes l

Banned
Feb 3, 2005
i was trying to OC my rig last night...
i wasn't able to get far with fsb... so i was playing around with the ram timings...
well, i basically put the timing to 2-1-1-5 from 2-2-2-5 and see how fast it will be...
and i rebooted system and it won't even start.. it powers up but nothing on monitor...
so i jumped the CMOS and tried again... same thing...
it seems as if there is no ram present on the mobo........
gawd... i didn't know changing the timing could **** up ur mobo like that..
is there anything i could do?... unfortunately i have no warranty..
what do you think went wrong?... would i have to replace the mobo or anything else?...

Specs:
xp2400 t-bred
Biostar M7NCD
9700 pro
1gb of DDR400

powerMarkymark

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2002
Warranty would not help............you ran (or tried to run) the hardware ou of spec, you could not RMA at this point.

No other ram you could try?

M@rc

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
I don't think the system is dead. Instead you need to reset the bios. You've tried the jumper but probably you did not left it jumpered long enough. Try jumpering the cmos again and make sure you leave it at least for 30 seconds or longer. To make sure the CMOS is cleared, remove the mobo battery while jumpering the cmos. If this does not clear the cmos, try the "Ins" key. Power down the system and then press the Ins key while powering the system. Do not release the Ins key until you hear two beeps. You may have to do this 2-3 times.

Thorny

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Originally posted by: powerMarkymark
Warranty would not help............you ran (or tried to run) the hardware ou of spec, you could not RMA at this point.

Since when did changing the timings void your warranty. Over voltage is the only thing that I have read will void your warranty. You can run your ram at any timings or frequency you would like, but if you don't give it more voltage is very improbable to harm anything. Granted it is possible, but not in the short amount of time we're talking about here.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Also remember to disconnect the ATX power cable from your mobo while shorting the jumper.

l Xes l

Banned
Feb 3, 2005
i've tried everything.... i tried to jump the cmos.. took out the battery... let it sit like that more than 10min...
it wouldn't just do anything... i heard i might need another bio chip to reflash my bios....
or it could be that i fried my ram or messed up the mobo... sigh