OMG hepa filters are so damn much money! Why??!?!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lokiju, Sep 12, 2011.

1. lokiju

lokiju Lifer

Why in the hell does it cost $20+ per AC HEPA filter?

Just seems crazy to me.

Is there any way to get these things without making my wallet weep?

I rigged a box fan I had over the weekend with a matched in size 20"x20" HEPA AC filter on the back side of it and ran it on high in my bedroom.

When I woke up this morning I was very surprised with how much better I felt. Didn't have the usual irritation in my throat, nose and eyes that I usually have.

With results like that I figured it'd be a good idea to do a HEPA filter for my homes AC as well but it's just so damn painful how much they cost.

2. Eli

Eli Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

Because it's not easy to filter out 99.97&#37; of crap that flows through the filter(minimum).

But yes, I do the same thing - tape a 20x20" furnace filter to a 20" box fan. Works quite well, and is cheap.

3. LTC8K6

LTC8K6 Lifer

HEPA filters probably shouldn't be used in HVAC systems that weren't designed for them.

4. dullard

dullard Elite Member

The AC/heater filter is to protect the AC/heater. Leave it at that. Don't try turning it into a filter for better human health. That just causes too much strain on the AC/heater and gives poorer performance all around (such as wide temperature variations in your house when it can't blow enough air to the far off corners).

What you are doing is far better. Use a cheap AC/heater filter and then a separate system to filter air for your health.

5. Exterous

Exterous Lifer

Correct me if I am wrong but don't they typically last for several years? I got one for my bedroom (which helped ALOT) and people were saying the filter lasted them 5-10 years

6. IronWing

IronWing Lifer

When we ran a standalone hepa filter/charcoal combo unit, we would have to change the filter every couple months. It didn't move much air. I imagine a do it yourself fan/filter would plug fairly quickly as it pushes more dust off surfaces.

7. lokiju

lokiju Lifer

Whats the charcoal filter for?

8. Exterous

Exterous Lifer

Interesting. Now that I think about it my filter has a two stage filter. There is a cheaper (charcoal?) filter around the HEPA filter. That one is supposed to be replaced 2-4 times a year (But is about $4 a filter)

9. IronWing

IronWing Lifer

It was supposed to help with cigarette smoke. We were renting and the landlord cross ventilated the units.

10. Born2bwire

Born2bwire Diamond Member

It absorbs odors. Problem is, they need to be replaced regularly. But the actual HEPA filters in many systems are washable; only the charcoal needs replacing. I still found that the better air filters all seemed to use replaceable HEPA filters though.

11. lokiju

lokiju Lifer

Oh. Ewww.

12. Eli

Eli Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

Be aware that not all "HEPA" filters are true HEPA. Some will claim 99&#37; filtration, which is garbage. Only 99.97%+ is true HEPA.

It's likely that any "HEPA" filter for your furnace falls into this category. It may or may not help compared to a cheapo furnace filter, but dedicated whole house HEPA filters are very expensive.

13. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel Lifer

I tried to put a high end filter on my furnace, it totally did not like it. Should have heard the racket the blower made. Not enough air means the motor is working less hard, but spinning faster. I felt like an idiot when I called the hvac company and it turned out to be that. Weird part is, it only did it once the burner would shut off. Maybe the blower slightly speeds up at that point or something.

20 bucks is not much for a high end filter though. You might change it what, every 6 months?