OMG! German Newspaper Slammed for Racist Cover

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: JS80
You think the leftist NYT could get away with printing that? Jesse Jackson would be calling for the head of the editor.

Like Jonks posted earlier, we like taking offense at things. Jesse Jackson is one of those politicians / celebrities who has made a name for himself by getting offended at perceived injustice or racism. Jesse would absolutely cry foul at this, as would Al Sharpton, and they'd be enough to start a media frenzy that would end in a public apology on behalf of whatever newspaper printed that headline. In that sense, you are absolutely correct.

However, I don't think you'll find many liberal posters on this board agreeing with the actions of Jesse and Al when it comes to their sensationalist tactics that ignore logic in favor of rash emotion. I've seen Jesse and Al mentioned on these boards frequently, and they are almost universally admonished for their tactics, even when people support their message. They are simply feeding the "Oh boy, isn't it fun to be offended" line of reasoning that has turned the media in this country into a bunch of whiny pantywastes too scared to print something even remotely offensive for fear of public backlash (while jumping all over the backlash themselves by even giving Jesse and Al a podium). Don't confuse media sensationalism with liberalism.

- As a quick aside, I looked up pantywaste to make sure I was using it correctly. The first hit on Google? "Jesse Jackson is a total pantywaste."

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: finite automaton
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Originally posted by: neodyn55
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I feel dumb. I don't get it.

Uncle Tom's Cabin

Very few people it seems realize that Uncle Tom was not a "Sell Out" and he actually dies for his beliefs near the end of that book.

I don't get it either.

I believe the problem lies with how the book was skewed by "Tom Shows" after it's release in which all white actors portrayed blacks in a insulting comedic manner. Later revisionist interpretations of the book by "Black Power" groups during the 60's and 70's also painted it as being racist because they felt that blacks were portrayed as weak, ignorant and the main character Tom was considered to be a "Yes Sa" type of guy.

The opinions that were formed in 60's and 70's about the book IMHO were done so without proper context of the time, place and nature of the events unfolding in the book and without the proper thought or understanding of the delicate facts of life and survival tactics needed by those who were slaves. IMHO the "Black Power" groups disliked that Uncle Tom wasn't a defiant tough guy who went around killing slave owners.

The "Tom Shows" were no doubt pretty racists in nature but the original book itself was actually reviled in the South for it's anti-Slavery theme when it was released in 1852. Modern day scholars though have begun to rethink the judgments handed down against the book itself and some see it as a important piece of literature that demonstrates the nature of race and slavery itself at the time.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hmm, the big mistake here, it seems to me, is to assume the Germans have the same history and experience concerning that statement as Americans do. Even myself as a Canadian never really knew the "Uncle Tom" implication, other than people seemed to take offense when it was used. By reading the posts in this thread it seems the original "Uncle Tom" stood for something that no longer assumed when the term is used as it has picked up new meanings along the way. I don't know the history of it, but could see that the original "Uncle Tom" may very well have been an important historic occassion, like the first African American Baseball player. I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, it is likely where the German newspaper gets its' view of it.

I think the Newspaper was just trying to denote an important(albeit premature) milestone in US History, but also African American History.

trenchfoot

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Originally posted by: jonks
what's so funny is that ATOT leftists would be calling for boycotts if a "conservative" paper published that.

What's "funny" is that you don't see the difference in those two things.

Do you understand the meaning of "intent" and "motivation"? If the KKK ran the same exact title on their newsletter, do you think they'd mean it as an ironic nod towards how far blacks have come, or would it be a call to arms against the N**** taking over the damn country? One motivation is worthy of derision, the other is not.

Is there a difference between you spanking your kid for swearing and a stranger spanking your kid for swearing? Relationships and context matter in determining what is appropriate in every situation. So when a liberal paper says something, their intent would be different than that of a conservative paper, so the reactions to both should be different.

very well put.

trenchfoot

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The guy is half African and half white. He's not muthafucking black!

agreed, but he looks alot more like an african american than an european american.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Learn to do math! 50% is larger than 50% when race is concerned.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
I'm not offended.

My first reaction is to be impressed that enough of their audience knows enough about the history and literature of another nation to understand the reference :Q

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Jesus Christ! People get their panties in a twist over dumb crap. If you can't read a paper without being offended you need help, seriously. Who the hell cares about idiotic crap like this? What I mean is, are you that insecure that a stupid paper offends you? Get over yourself and grow up. :disgust:

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Triumph

Learn to do math! 50% is larger than 50% when race is concerned.

Plus the fact that very few people can claim that they are of a 'Pure' race. just about every one has, to some extent, some mixed blood. And aren't we all human after all?

The last time Someone tried to breed for purity was Nazi Germany. And we know how that turned out.