OMG! German Newspaper Slammed for Racist Cover

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Newspaper cover picture...

The German newspaper Die Tageszeitung has a reputation for leftist social sensitivity. All the more bizarre then was its choice of a cover to mark Obama's victory in the race for the Democratic Party nomination: a photo of the White House under the headline "Uncle Barack's Cabin."

Full article.

I am not an Obama supporter. I like the Germans a lot. But this is NOT funny! Angie had better condemn the headline!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I thought it was kinda funny :eek:

clearly, the newspaper isn't calling Obama an Uncle Tom, it seems more like a reflection on how far blacks have come in America -- from Uncle Tom's Cabin to being the almost-certain next president.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
I found it kind of funny too. I hope most Obama supporters are not as sensitive as the germans

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
what's so funny is that ATOT leftists would be calling for boycotts if a "conservative" paper published that.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
It's obviously a nod to the irony of a black man who would have been a slave 150 years ago now being a strong contender for the presidency.

But we love taking offense at things, it makes us feel important, so God Damn Nazis at it again!!!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: JS80
what's so funny is that ATOT leftists would be calling for boycotts if a "conservative" paper published that.

So true. I think what is more funny is somebody would find offense to it.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
I admit....I chuckled. Pretty clever but definitely can be interpreted to be racist.

I took it more along the lines of Loki's interpretation.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

What's "funny" is that you don't see the difference in those two things.

Do you understand the meaning of "intent" and "motivation"? If the KKK ran the same exact title on their newsletter, do you think they'd mean it as an ironic nod towards how far blacks have come, or would it be a call to arms against the N**** taking over the damn country? One motivation is worthy of derision, the other is not.

Is there a difference between you spanking your kid for swearing and a stranger spanking your kid for swearing? Relationships and context matter in determining what is appropriate in every situation. So when a liberal paper says something, their intent would be different than that of a conservative paper, so the reactions to both should be different.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
I've been saying that many Europeans would not accept a black American president. Many Europeans do not view non-whites as humans. This is only one of many bigoted acts... and remember that this is a left-wing newspaper. Even the European left makes the KKK look sane in terms of race, ethnicity, etc.

Obama's mere presence will continue the decay in American-European relations started under Bush.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Not only that, but the magazine might have been unintentionally right. The actual Uncle Tom in the book is a strong character who stands up for himself and his beliefs in awful circumstances. I'm not even really sure how the name became a pejorative.

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004

Are you really that dumb? Does someone have to clarify this for you?

Originally posted by: jonks

Do you understand the meaning of "intent" and "motivation"? If the KKK ran the same exact title on their newsletter, do you think they'd mean it as an ironic nod towards how far blacks have come, or would it be a call to arms against the N**** taking over the damn country? One motivation is worthy of derision, the other is not.

Is there a difference between you spanking your kid for swearing and a stranger spanking your kid for swearing? Relationships and context matter in determining what is appropriate in every situation. So when a liberal paper says something, their intent would be different than that of a conservative paper, so the reactions to both should be different.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess someone does have to clarify it for you

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I feel dumb. I don't get it.

You're not dumb, just Canadian.
I like that excuse, too.

I would conclude this is funny, then and probably in the vein of 'from cabin to whitehouse, how you like those apples?' :)

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
I am an Obama supporter and even I find it slightly amusing. Nothing to "boycott." Free speech is important you know, you fascists.

Feb 6, 2007
I, for one, am incredibly offended. That's not a cabin at all. And they spelled uncle wrong. No, this whole thing stinks to high himmel.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

You think the leftist NYT could get away with printing that? Jesse Jackson would be calling for the head of the editor.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

You think the leftist NYT could get away with printing that? Jesse Jackson would be calling for the head of the editor.

The NYT is the paper of record in this country. They don't do pun headlines. You're thinking of the Post or the Daily News, neither bastions of liberalism.