OMG!! F-18 Fighter Jet Crashes in North Carolina!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: Kenazo
if that was a canadian jet, that would be about 5% of our airforce down the tubes!
I suppose you were joking, but in all honesty you're not far off the mark.

I'm not joking. We have 60 CF-18's ready for combat, and 59 for training, testing and rotation (according to here). So, that's actually 8.3% of our active Jet fighters airforce. :) I'm sure we have some of those old voodoo starfighters mothballed somewhere still.

Crazymofo

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: cerebusPu
the pilot of my plane boasted after a landing once that it was a completely computer automated landing.

I wouldn't be boasting about the possible elimination of my own job...

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
I wonder if they crashed it on purpose b/c there was a nuke or two on board and John Travolta is going to find them and sell them.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Crazymofo
Originally posted by: cerebusPu
the pilot of my plane boasted after a landing once that it was a completely computer automated landing.

I wouldn't be boasting about the possible elimination of my own job...

Doubt if too many people will fly in a plane where there is not a qualified pilot on board

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
if that was a canadian jet, that would be about 5% of our airforce down the tubes!
I suppose you were joking, but in all honesty you're not far off the mark.

I'm not joking. We have 60 CF-18's ready for combat, and 59 for training, testing and rotation (according to here). So, that's actually 8.3% of our active Jet fighters airforce. :) I'm sure we have some of those old voodoo starfighters mothballed somewhere still.
Heh, of those "ready for combat", how many do you think are actually _ready for combat_? I'd be surprised if more than half are planes that you could lube up, put some gas in and rockets on, and send to the sky!

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I will never fly in a airplane that does not have a HUMAN pilot on board. I don't care if he just sits there the whole time while the computer flies. But sometimes the computer screw up and you need someone there to fix the situation.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: fivespeed5
Originally posted by: LAUST
MSNBC

that's some quality reporting there, it's a 4 paragraph article repeated :confused:
To be honest

"A Navy F-18 fighter jet crashed and burned on the runway at the Raleigh-Durham airport during takeoff Friday, but the pilot ejected, authorities said"

Thats all the info I ever want our of the media anyway, if you have ever been part of a media story yourself these guys make so much BS up to make a dramatic story. Give me a sentance or 2 of the FACTS and leave out the fat. Later on when they find out the cause they can include that in 1 sentance also, and I'll skip the "story" in that one too ;)